Scary Team Speed Stats

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
what is so scary? the stats are arbitrary without context. I wouldn't give these much thought. Is there something significant about the 20 mph mark or does it just look nice as a stat bench mark. Would 17 mph be more informative?

Also, don't just post tweets and offer no insight or opinion. You are a much better poster than that chosen!

Reactions: haveandare

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Reactions: RangersFan1994

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
How is Kreider not on this list? I know he's lost a step, but he's still faster than Brodzinski and Pitlick.

Please break up Zib and Kreider.
Its not that kind of list. CK is probably still faster straight ahead in a race.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The only stat that matters is this:
WopTDqD.jpeg

But in all seriousness, stats like this (speed), miles skated, etc. don't really mean anything.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I understand... But this list proves that he doesn't use his speed.
I have spoken about that for a while. He used to use it a lot. He did use it last game on his goal but in general he changed his style of play years ago. Remember when he first came up and for years he was a real threat flying up his wing on breaks and scoring on his snap shot.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
were a slow team but these speed burst things are mostly meaningless. losing bonino should certainly make us faster. it wud be nice if we can trade for a 3C thats got speed.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I’m more surprised that 20mph is a big deal: many soccer players hit that speed routinely.

Also: the speed with which we play is more important than the speed of our players. Slower players playing north-south will appear faster than faster players playing east-west. We want players who can play fast and throw opponents off — not speed skaters who pass and pass and pass.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ill take those McKinnon, McDavid, and McHughes guys for speed. Maybe even that Cale Mcakar guy as well.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I can't find it but somebody did this on the team level and said we were middle of the pack.

I think our issue is not playing fast more so than not skating fast.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Also, my problem with stats like these is that it looks like a lot, and people think it's a lot because it looks like it is, but it's not a lot.

It's 104 players. The top 104 forwards, nevermind players, are all pretty close to being first liners. This list includes defenseman and it's including guys that barely exist.

Even if you just count the regulars, the top 104 is the 72nd percentile. If you count everyone that has played an NHL minute, which this list is doing, it's closer to probably the 76th percentile. It's not a lot of players.

Therefore, the absence of certain players looks worse than it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad