Confirmed with Link: Scanlin has finally signed!!!!!! 1 year 775K (Two Way)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm hoping we see him, Robertson and Emberson a decent amount in pre-season. I'm curious how they all stack up against better competition. One of them turning into a bottom-pairing guy would be a nice win

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm hoping we see him, Robertson and Emberson a decent amount in pre-season. I'm curious how they all stack up against better competition. One of them turning into a bottom-pairing guy would be a nice win
Agree, but w Gus, Jones, Mackey, Harpur, Hollowell, lots of guys for same ice …

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
One person uses hyperbole as a joke, the other person uses it seriously and thinks he's the biggest genius in the world as a result.
haters gonna hate

never said I was the biggest
never said, like lest effin President, that it was all about me,
or that my work is '"perfect".

judge me fairly, on the basis of my work
... if you can

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Don't arbitration awards generally come with a raise?

He was on a 2 year $925k NHL deal that was only paying him $80k in the minors. As it's player elected arbitration, the team could conceivably choose if the awarded dollar figure was good for 1 or 2 years. This would have locked Scanlin in on his deal at a higher NHL cap hit, possibly hindering his chances at a NHL assignment with cap crunch this year and also been locked in to a 2 year deal possibly with a smaller AHL salary for 2 years.

I think this is another example of the player understanding that while his NHL cap hit may have gone down, it gives him a better chance to see NHL time along with the tradeoff being that his AHL salary, should that opportunity not arise went up $20k. That and he is a RFA next year again.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Don't arbitration awards generally come with a raise?

He was on a 2 year $925k NHL deal that was only paying him $80k in the minors. As it's player elected arbitration, the team could conceivably choose if the awarded dollar figure was good for 1 or 2 years. This would have locked Scanlin in on his deal at a higher NHL cap hit, possibly hindering his chances at a NHL assignment with cap crunch this year and also been locked in to a 2 year deal possibly with a smaller AHL salary for 2 years.

I think this is another example of the player understanding that while his NHL cap hit may have gone down, it gives him a better chance to see NHL time along with the tradeoff being that his AHL salary, should that opportunity not arise went up $20k. That and he is a RFA next year again.
Scanlin didn't get an arbitration award (he and the team agreed to a contract prior to the hearing. However, most players get raises due to the fact that arbitration is most often elected by NHL players who are due raises.

Scanlin was never going to get a raise on the 925k given that he has yet to play in the NHL. He only got the 925k originally because that is standard operating procedure for coveted UDFAs.

But you're right that he and his agent were smart in that they took the minimum NHL salary and pushed for more AHL salary. The last thing he wants is to miss out on a call up due to team cap constraints.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
For the people who have watched him, Is there a chance he can be a Girardi type? Stylistically speaking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad