SC Stingrays majority intrest in the team sold to Conn. businessman

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
do you think they will stay in SC?
I don't think they will long term. Maybe the next 2-3 seasons. Apparently the city just altered their lease agreement this season and the team already loses hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Something has to give. Sad as they are one of the longest tenured teams in ECHL history.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't think they will long term. Maybe the next 2-3 seasons. Apparently the city just altered their lease agreement this season and the team already loses hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Something has to give. Sad as they are one of the longest tenured teams in ECHL history.
there is zero intention of the Stingrays leaving Charleston.... the owners that have successfully run it since day 1 WILL STILL be involved, just not the majority owners.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If the city keeps upping the lease terms, I'm sure the new owner will threaten to leave eventually. Will he actually leave? No one knows for sure, but like I said I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I actually know one of Anita Zucker's sons through youth hockey... the fact that they're still minority owners doesn't mean a whole lot long term. There is a reason they sold in the first place, and it has a lot to do with the city trying to screw them over and the team losing money year after year. I highly doubt the new owner has pockets as deep as the Zuckers do to sustain these losses. We will see.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
that's one advantage we have in Adirondack, the group that owns/operates the arena also owns the team.

The Adirondack community really stepped up and secured that arena, and pro hockey. There really is no public financial risk up in Adirondack and I think support for the Thunder will remain strong. Got to experience the All Star game up that way last season, and despite the lousy wet and icy cold weather had a very good time. That arena is just a classic hockey barn, and with the new paint job and video scoreboard the game experience is a lot of fun. Got to hang out over those days in the Bullpen Sports bar, had a great time. Glens Falls reminded me of just a down to earth blue collar vibrant downtown community much like that of like size cities and towns in Virginia, Carolinas', and Georgia, with exception of the super cold times I am sure lol.

Reactions: sabremike

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
"He added that even when the Stingrays drew 9,000 fans per game, the team did not break even."

That is better then your average AHL team, and back at that time that figure is outstanding. Cant believe they weren't even breaking even, obviously a lousy agreement and very bad management of team finances. Stingrays always have a decent roster to, definitely some guys on that club who could play at the AHL journey level.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
"He added that even when the Stingrays drew 9,000 fans per game, the team did not break even."

That is better then your average AHL team, and back at that time that figure is outstanding. Cant believe they weren't even breaking even, obviously a lousy agreement and very bad management of team finances. Stingrays always have a decent roster to, definitely some guys on that club who could play at the AHL journey level.
I doubt they're being 100% truthful in respect to team finances. I'm sure they made decent money those first couple of years with attendance like that. But they draw less than 4k on average now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were truly losing money now especially with the new lease agreement. Hence the sale of the team now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad