Post-Game Talk: SC Finals, Here We Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
What?! '07 > '11

Yeah, 07 for me too. I actually missed the Tyree catch because my head was in my hands thinking Eli was sacked. My friend slapped me on the back of my head and I saw him coming down with it. I drove back to College that night four and a half hours. It was insane

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
We all drove in for the parade. I will never forget that day!

I don't know if anyone from that time was near where I was standing, but I still remember these three broads watching from their apartment, and before the floats came near us, the fans respectfully chanted in unison for them to "show us your [nice smiles]!" :naughty:

I told my dad that I couldn't wait to do this again next year...

Yep, I was at the parade as well. It was awesome, my brother and I ditched work and we were in the park when they were all giving their speeches.

Not only because the Rangers won but man was that the best playoffs I have ever seen. I remember having 102 fever and driving out to Nassau (I lived in Port Jefferson at the time) to watch game 7 against the Devils, with my best friend who was house sitting. I was literally dying watching that game.

Memories memories memories. Man this thread is awesome...........

Some of my favorite memories from the Garden, ok not all are so terrific, some are not my favorite but I just can't get them out of my head:

Hextall's rookie season and being in wonder at the "Buy a Porsche Hextall" chant. I couldn't believe they were chanting that.

Holding up a sign during the 1986 playoffs, "Marsh you look like a penis" because he had a stupid haircut and he did. The Flyers bus stopped at the corner and guess who was looking right at me? true story......Also the last time I brought signage to the game.

Being near the idiots that shook LaFontaine's ambulance, that kind of made me sick. It was afterwards and they were bragging about it.

Some idiot fan screaming derogatory stuff at Walt McKegney during warm ups. I am positive he heard the idiot. I was a 14-15 year old kid and wish to this day I walked up the the guy and popped him.

A 60-70 year old woman sitting in the blue seats with an Islanders jersey on. The insults hurled her way were ear burning when she stood up to cheer a goal. She did that once.

Kovalev during warm ups wristing the puck one handed better than a lot of people I know can do with two. In general showing off and doing stuff I just didn't think possible. The only other rookie player I ever saw in warmups that I thought would be a superstar was Stamkos. I am 1 for 2 with warm up predictions. I can tell when a team will be really crappy just from watching warmups, I guess that comes from playing all these years.

Watching an exhibition of the 1988 US Olympic team at Nassau Coliseum so we can see 2 young Ranger draft picks, Leetch and Richter. Not a Garden memory but still.

My first game during intermission going near the stairwell and seeing 20 guys in a circle smoking weed and seeing 3 NYPD just chatting 15 feet away. I still laugh at that. Nobody cared back then.

Another non Garden memory. Playing a game in Nassau Coliseum and using a puck to write Lets Go Rangers all over the Islanders bench. I wish we had cell phones back then to take pics. Some other guys on the team that were Rangers fans wrote other stuff. lol

I will never forget my first game when the Rangers came out of the locker room and they announced "Here come your New York Rangers" and the crowd screaming. I still have the shivers that go down my spine when thinking about that moment.

other random stuff:

Up until 1994 I used to curse my Dad for making me a Ranger fan. I became a Jets fan on my own,my Dad didn't like Football until I started flying him to NYC for a tailgate extravaganza me and a bunch of friends do once a year. I soon realized that if I became a Jets fan on my own, there's no freaking way I should bust his chops about making me a Rangers fan. lol

I remember Gordon/Chadwick (barely) and just loving what I was watching and hearing. Those two were great. I can still hear The Big Whistle and his "Shoot the puck Barry, shoot the puck"

The stupid Ooh La-La commercial and the party animals that might have won something if they stayed away from the white powder.

Almost breaking my hand because of John MacLeans goal.

George McPhee rocking Tocchet and ending that Broad Street Bully bs.

Ken Morrow's goal.

1986 Playoffs Vanbiesbrouck playing incredible.

1979 playoffs, I was only 9 but still. I loved Gresh, Hedberg, and Espo beating the Islanders.

Ok I got way more but that's enough for now.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah... I was born 6 months before Messier lifted the cup. I'm a Jets/Rangers fan and that's it as far as professional sports go (unless you want to count the Gunners for the Premier League). I don't have the Yankees/Giants to fall back on. My sports life is filled with heartbreak and agony.

I'm the same way, except it's ONLY the Rangers.

Football, baseball, basketball I enjoy those sports, but I'm not even close to a diehard fan of any team in the slightest. I say I root for NY in all those sports and when they're head to head I go Giants>Jets and Yanks>Mets. But the truth is, I don't really care. I root for them and when they win it's cool and when they lose I'm indifferent, whatever. When the Giants won those superbowls I was happy they won but honestly, a Rangers regular season win makes me more happy.

For me it begins and ends with the Rangers. They're my only team I live and die with and think about all the time.

I was more happy after game 6 than any other sporting even in my life (well, I was 4 in '94).

I have friends who, when the Rangers get eliminated will say "at least we have the Giants" but not me. I have the Rangers, that's all I care about.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Yeah, 07 for me too. I actually missed the Tyree catch because my head was in my hands thinking Eli was sacked. My friend slapped me on the back of my head and I saw him coming down with it. I drove back to College that night four and a half hours. It was insane

The only thing that could compare to the '07 SB would be if we won the cup this year. With the storylines we have right now it would just be too fitting.

I'm just so proud of this team and how they've come together like an actual team. We lost our "black and blueshirt" identity in the '12 offseason and it took a while for us to really find ourselves and figure out the identity of the team. Dat speed doe. Bruins are tough, Hawks are skilled, LA is big and we are fast as hell.

AHB*

Football, baseball, basketball I enjoy those sports, but I'm not even close to a diehard fan of any team in the slightest. I say I root for NY in all those sports and when they're head to head I go Giants>Jets and Yanks>Mets. But the truth is, I don't really care. I root for them and when they win it's cool and when they lose I'm indifferent, whatever. When the Giants won those superbowls I was happy they won but honestly, a Rangers regular season win makes me more happy.

For me it begins and ends with the Rangers. They're my only team I live and die with and think about all the time.

I was more happy after game 6 than any other sporting even in my life (well, I was 4 in '94).

I have friends who, when the Rangers get eliminated will say "at least we have the Giants" but not me. I have the Rangers, that's all I care about.

I could have written this post, even the age part. I'm a pretty decent Yankees fan, but for all I care, every other New York team can lose every game for the rest of my life if the Rangers win the cup and I'll still be the happiest clam on this ****ing planet.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

Yup. I hate (NBA) basketball and baseball as sports. So I'm literally indifferent to the Yankees and the Knicks. I found out they won the World Series in '09 (could be off by a year) via Sportscenter.

The Jets and Rangers are probably about equal for me. I just wish the seasons didn't intertwine so then I could have a team I follow on a die-hard basis year round.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I could have written this post, even the age part. I'm a pretty decent Yankees fan, but for all I care, every other New York team can lose every game for the rest of my life if the Rangers win the cup and I'll still be the happiest clam on this ****ing planet.

For sure, I'd make that deal every day of the week.

It's literally hockey all year for me.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Just re watched the 3rd. Surgical, almost perfect Rangers hockey. The Rangers over whelmed and just flat wore down a very good team. As far as I know the Habs were not a team that was anticipated to have any problem with an opponents speed. Instead the Rangers speed consumed them and left the Habs unable to counter attack.

Watching a Rangers team go to the SCF, like many of you brings back memories for me also. I have not lived in New York for many years now, and when people hear that the only sports team I still follow is the New York Rangers they look at me kind of funny sometimes.

They just don't get it. I wanted to chase the surf and the sun to California. That was my dream and it's been a great ride, but New York and the Rangers will always be a part of my soul. My wife, God bless her, still does not know what she's looking at, but she sees my passion and it makes her smile.

Two more things.

The 2012 team was special, but that was it's own snapshot in time. That team just ran out of gas. This team seems a lot deeper and more resilient.

The other thing is that probably like many of you I miss Cally and Dubi. Well....at this point, and it pains me to say this a little, those guys leaving is at least a part of why we are where we are. Though I still think Dubi would be killer on that 3rd line.

Cally....Some of you will disagree, but I think he was just different this year. And not for the better. Maybe it was because he saw the identity of a team he helped create changing. Maybe he felt a bit marginalized. I don't really know. I just felt like he could have stayed if he wanted to, but wanted out.

Twists of fate. I know we will be talking about this season for many years to come, but for now like the rest of you I just want to enjoy it.

Congratulations to all of us Rangers fans. Yeah, we deserve this big time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well, let me just give my 2 cents regarding this team.

I don't miss Cally at all. Yes, he was our captain, and yes, he was an amazing inspiration with his hard hits and blocking shots, but it's not like we are missing those 2 aspects now.

McDonagh, Girardi, Kreider, Zuccarello, Boyle, Dom Moore, Staal... So many players who are inspiring others. St. Louis is in a league of his own when it comes to that.

I like this team a lot more than the 2012 team, mainly because of the balance. We lost John Moore, but Raphael freaking Diaz steps up and just plays along with the rest of the team. This team can go a long way. The biggest enemy of this team, is the salary cap.

bigbluebird

Dead Eyes McGee
Jan 3, 2012
Hiding in PlainSight

I feel for you guys. I consider myself an OG NY sports fans: meaning I cheer for the Yankees, Giants, Rangers, and Knicks. The Yankees are my first love but I am extremely passionate about the Giants and Rangers as well. The Knicks are the eternal thorn in my flesh :laugh:

Although, I would say I've had an extremely blessed few years (3 championships in the last 6 or so years), watching the Rangers win would mean sooooo much to me, because it's, well, the rangers! LOL. Honestly never knew if I'd see this day come (if it comes!)

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Before game 6: LA Kings greatest team ever, too big, too fast too talented, Rangers are done.

After game 6: LA sucks, Kane and Toews>Crosby and Malkin, Hawks have always been my second favorite team. Brah.

Even more amusing than that are the posters who think their team is better than the Rangers. Let me use reality to disabuse you of your overabundance of pride:

Half of you ****ers didn't even make the POs. Your team sucks and is worse than every team that made the POs. That's how we keep score in sports and the results are like the word of mother****ing god himself. PO teams > non-PO teams.

Out of the teams that made the POs: you did not lose because of puck luck, injuries or one player not showing up. You lost a best of 7 spread out over two ****** weeks. Two mother****ing weeks. This wasn't a freak occurrence, this was a lengthy test to see which was the better team. And if you lost the best of 7 and didn't progress to the next round, your team is worse than the team that beat you and every other team that made it into the next round. Again, that's how we measure reality in a tournament where every team has the same exact ****ing goal.

The only other times I remember it being this bad was the disrespect shown to the 2011 Bruins and the 1995 Devils and those results surprised a lot of people.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Haha I'm in a similar boat. I was 5 when they won in '94 and I don't remember it too well. I remember standing outside Rye Playland after a Rangers Practice and freezing my balls off just to get an autograph from Mike Eastwood and Tim Sweeney lol. Those are some dark days...

Ive got pictures from back in the day when they came up to Glens Falls for I think it was training camp. I have pictures with Turcotte, Nicholls, and Kelly Kisio, lol. That was way back in the day though, I think Kisio was Captain. Had to be the 88 season, if I remember correctly.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Well, let me just give my 2 cents regarding this team.

I don't miss Cally at all. Yes, he was our captain, and yes, he was an amazing inspiration with his hard hits and blocking shots, but it's not like we are missing those 2 aspects now.

McDonagh, Girardi, Kreider, Zuccarello, Boyle, Dom Moore, Staal... So many players who are inspiring others. St. Louis is in a league of his own when it comes to that.

I like this team a lot more than the 2012 team, mainly because of the balance. We lost John Moore, but Raphael freaking Diaz steps up and just plays along with the rest of the team. This team can go a long way. The biggest enemy of this team, is the salary cap.

I miss Cally, but he was not right for this current team. I know a lot of fans lambaste him for the money he wants etc etc, and rightly so, but he was still one of my favorites for a long time here. He gave everything he had on the ice and provided us Rangers fan with some really great memories, imo. It'll be a little bittersweet to win it without him, but it happens. My favorite player of all time is and always will be Mike Gartner. Its much the same as 94 when he was traded the year they won the Cup. It pained me to see, especially considering he never won one, but it had to be done. It doesnt take away from some great great memories I have of Gartner wearing the Blue.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers had PK Subban huffing and puffing the last three games from chasing around Kreider and Hagelin. Subban's used to tons of ice time--but running a track meet every night is another thing. Those two players need to be keys to getting either Chicago's or L.A.'s defense off their game. Hope the ice is good.

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Was chatting with a buddy of mine who is a Hawks fan and he was asking about the depth of the lineup. Figured it would be interesting to look at the stats in the playoffs so far based upon lines. Kept Moore's stats on the fourth line even though he moved up and down the lineup when Brass and Stepan were out.

Kreider/Stepan/Nash - 12 goals, 21 assists, 33 points
Hags/Richards/St. Louis - 17 goals, 17 assists, 34 points
Zucc/Brassard/Pouliot - 12 goals, 16 assists, 28 points
Boyle/Moore/Dorsett/Miller/Carcillo/Fast - 7 goals, 12 assists, 19 points

Dmen - 6 goals, 29 assists, 35 points

That is about as balanced as you're gonna get...

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers had PK Subban huffing and puffing the last three games from chasing around Kreider and Hagelin. Subban's used to tons of ice time--but running a track meet every night is another thing. Those two players need to be keys to getting either Chicago's or L.A.'s defense off their game. Hope the ice is good.
I think that Krieder's impact cannot be understated. Not so much that Subban had to chase him around, but rather that big body bearing down with such speed on Subban.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good luck. You guys have a shot at this. Just take advantage of how more rested you will be. Even as a Habs fan, I will always have a special bond with your team. First, I love the city. But mostly, I have a special bond,thanks to my father, with Adam Graves. Short story, when the demolished the Montreal Forum, Rangers were playing against the Habs at the Molson Centre, Graves insisted to visit the Forum. My father was a usher and I was with him during his shift 'cause he was chosen, that day, to play the role of a guard at the Forum, so that nobody would come in, nobody that didn't have to work there. Then came Graves and his wife. He wanted to come in, my father didn't really recognized him...but I obviously did. When I told him that it was Graves, he immediately opened the door and Adam asked him if he could just visit and see the rink and to see what it looked like. We went with them....and I've just was stunned by his reaction. The guy was almost crying, extremly emotional. Couldn't believe that this building was gone. I will always remember that look and the conversation we had for at least 20ish minutes. He had to go back as they were playing a game the same night and it was already around 2PM. Anyway, maybe there are tons of youngsters in here who have no idea who Graves is....I'm slightly a little older, but just wanted to share that info. Didn't want to derail the thread....

Anyway, good luck again. I would love to see our ex-coach and local guy Vigneault win this. Along with St-Louis and the special story that is Dominic Moore. And what will be known as one of the worst trades in the history of trade....no need to say who it is....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad