Rumor: Say it aint so Dats!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
:laugh: Don't see that coming, I think he stays in Pittsburgh at the end of the day. The real deal is Russian contracts aren't done the same way or for term. But I really do believe one of those Russian Oil Tycoons could easily offer him 20 million a season. It would also help legitimize the league. To date they are arguing guys like Radulov, that has whole different spin with Malkin a former NHL MVP and Datsyuk someone fans debate as the most complete player in the game.

It would build off the Russian Olympics. I can see him being approached if he isn't re-signed right away on July 1st. Really up to Malkin, but he can probably get double what he will make in the NHL. He is an investment for the whole league and hockey in the country. It would be the biggest statement they could make.

That's true. It would be tough to turn down that kind of cash and to be a legend in your country.

While not Russian there's always the Jagr story. He left the NHL but had that itch to come back for whatever reason. Even playing for a team like Dallas, a clear non-contender.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Should the Wings have traded Lidstrom last year?
Should the Wings have traded Fedorov? Yzerman? Shanahan?

There are certain players you don't move unless they want to go.

Datsyuk/Zetterberg are those guys.

10 years from nobody is going to care if the Flames got a first round pick for Iginla.

That first round pick may or may not become an NHLer.

But what Flames fans will take pride in is a life-long Flame.

I think everyone who wants to trade Dats just because he's leaving, really needs to read this post carefully.

Holland hasn't trade a roster player since Jason Williams and now he's gonna trade Dats? Yeah, right.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
No, and I wouldn't hold it against Datsyuk either. I'm just saying there's a convincing argument to be made that we bought his loyalty. It should at the very least factor into his decision to retire in his prime when he could still help the team, even if it doesn't outweigh opposing factors.

I would say "he has no obligation to continue working for us". But "he owes us nothing" just has additional connotations that are untrue. We, the fans, made him what he is. What would his life be like if nobody watched hockey? His name is well known internationally and he has the means to support himself forever along with the rest of his family because of us. He owes all that to us.

I'd say the Wings bought his loyalty in that they expect him to play great hockey for the years on his contract, and he's done that in spades. After his contract is up, he doesn't owe the Wings anything unless he chooses to re-up with them.

So the Wings organization bought his loyalty, or at least services rendered for his pay checks, but as a fan you are choosing to be loyal to him. I bought a #13 t-shirt years ago, but it was my choice to show my support for him as a great player (SOOOO glad I passed on the J-Will #39 jersey:phew:). He didn't owe me anything b/c I bought a shirt and made a point to check out the Red/White game at Van Andel before last season.

Kinda think that if you send a tweet to him with your last paragraph on him owing all of his fame to you, he may be looking into a restraining order. Which wouldn't help him to want to stay past next year, so don't do it! :nono:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Malkin's quite a bit younger. You think he'd stop in the NHL so soon?

It's kind of my hockey dream that he wants to be the #1 player on a team and Detroit finds a way to score him in free agency and he becomes our next Russian legend in the mold of Datsyuk and Fedorov.

Oh dreams.

So wait a minute... you want a Russian center, who happens to be one of the best players in the league but is in the shadow of a more famous teammate, to want to leave his team so he can become the true #1 somewhere else, which just happens to be Detroit?!

Talk about your all time role reversals...:D

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I think everyone who wants to trade Dats just because he's leaving, really needs to read this post carefully.

Holland hasn't trade a roster player since Jason Williams and now he's gonna trade Dats? Yeah, right.

And when people think of Ray Bourque they think of a Bruin, not an Av. Id hate to see him go but, but you need to think about the future of our team and what's best for the Red Wings.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
And when people think of Ray Bourque they think of a Bruin, not an Av. Id hate to see him go but, but you need to think about the future of our team and what's best for the Red Wings.

Different situation; Ray WANTED to leave, to have that shot at the cup, he was fine with it.

That's what I recall. Not 100% sure, though.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
If he goes I am at peace with that. I wouldn't even blame him if he felt a certain amount of acrimony toward the team. Everyone with half a brain could figure that 2010-2013 was going to be the window for another run with the core we had in place but Holland just presided over a slow decline from the heights of 2008.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's true. It would be tough to turn down that kind of cash and to be a legend in your country.

While not Russian there's always the Jagr story. He left the NHL but had that itch to come back for whatever reason. Even playing for a team like Dallas, a clear non-contender.

And some estimates had Jagr making as much as 25 million a season over there. It isn't like Malkin couldn't take a 5 year deal and decide okay I gave back to Russia and have an itch to play in the NHL again. Guess what I can sign anywhere and for anything as the cap will likely have shot up again because they didn't fix the real problems.

I am not saying he will do it, but if I am Malkin I have hard time turning down the offer I think is coming from Russia. The elite talents have had options to come back and he will be a hero for even thinking of it.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Even if he wanted a chance to win another Stanley Cup I don't think he's one to voice his opinion about it and ask for a trade. I think he's content finishing out his contract here and moving back to Russia. He's done enough for the organization that whatever he decides, everyone has to respect it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Those are the kind of choices you can make during a 20 straight year run. The Wings might not be in a position to operate like that anymore. This is a business people and a lot of you are screaming for Holland to adapt. There could be no greater sign that he is getting out of his comfort zone than to truly pursue this. I don't think they do it, heck I am sure they will want to talk him out of it best they can until that day comes. But they should see what is out there, someone could completely knock their socks off for him.

Of course Datsyuk would also have to consent to it as he has the NMC protection if I remember right.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
Holland would truly be doing this team a disservice if he let's Datsyuk walk away without getting anything for him UNLESS Datsyuk insists on finishing as a Red Wing. If he does get traded, part of me wishes for him to go to the Predators. *ducks flying objects*

If not the Preds, some team that's desperate (or stupid) enough to mortgage their future for him.

On a completely unrelated note; is Brian Burke still GM in Toronto?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Kinda think that if you send a tweet to him with your last paragraph on him owing all of his fame to you, he may be looking into a restraining order. Which wouldn't help him to want to stay past next year, so don't do it! :nono:

Who said "me"? Us. as in the fans. If the fans didn't care about hockey, nobody would be showering these guys in million dollar bills. And the players should keep that in mind, because who knows what McDonalds they'd be managing if it weren't for us.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Who said "me"? Us. as in the fans. If the fans didn't care about hockey, nobody would be showering these guys in million dollar bills. And the players should keep that in mind, because who knows what McDonalds they'd be managing if it weren't for us.

Well in Pavel's case he would be making the money in Russia, that is kind of what we are talking about. He doesn't just owe his hockey fame to Wings fans. While Bowman, Yzerman, Hull, Lidstrom and Zetterberg have certainly helped him become a great player. Datsyuk almost walked back to Russia before he was branded a star, he would be making plenty of money and have lots of admiration in the world of hockey regardless of the Wings.

It is an interesting point, but why do you show up? It isn't just to make him a big deal, it is because he is special. We pay the prices because of who he is in part at least some do. I watch the Wings for the front of the jersey, but there are a lot of people that have specifically pumped money in for actual players and that has helped my love of the team over the years by growing the brand and allowing Ilitch to pay the mega teams and keep the players we adore so much.

To live in the world of what if hockey players weren't worth so much or if the sport didn't exist is a hard point. Really he should be thanking Lemieux or Gretzky or even tv execs and lawyers. They pumped up a lot of the value, the rush from the late 80's where they went from well paid after years of basic servitude (thank Ted Lindsay for stopping that) to million dollar brands was well played by a multitude of smart people. Not just the good nature of fans.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I'd rather lose him to Russia than to another team...couldn't stand to see him go against the Wings. Seeing Fedorov in a Ducks uniform was bad enough...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'd rather lose him to Russia than to another team...couldn't stand to see him go against the Wings. Seeing Fedorov in a Ducks uniform was bad enough...

At least in this case the idiots wouldn't boo him more than likely.

I got some of the anger with Fedorov, still thought we should appreciate all he did and management skated on some pretty shady tactics in negotiations. Not too mention we probably don't have a post-lockout run with him, so we can probably thank him. But for the love of God I wish everyone would stop booing Hossa, it is embarrassing.

SchultzSquared*

Except that Iginla was acquired by the Flames through... trading an eight-year Calgary vet who had won a Calder and was the face of the franchise at the time...heck he even went on to win a Cup in Dallas AND was Conn Smythe winner that year...

But how many Flames fans would remember that today? No they remember Iginla and his many contributions.

Obviously no guarantee you get an Iginla out of the magic bean youngster Datsyuk could return... but in 10 years would you grieve trading Pavel if he did bring your next cornerstone back... I think probably not.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Ask Toronto fans how they remember Sundin. They remember him as a great player, but they still get pissed that they couldnt get anything for him and there were big offers on the table.

Trading all those guys mentioned are completely different. First of all, Lidstrom was on a completely different level than Datsyuk but when all those other guys left the wings had another group of young core guys who were ready to set the league on fire. When Yzerman was getting ready to retire he wasnt very good anymore and was playing through a bunch of injuries. Datsyuk is still playing at a high level and would get a kings ransom from a contender.

Look at how much this board is gonig nuts over the wings this year. If Dats walks after next year theres going to be 8 years of worse hockey played then right now. The wings would be stupid to go through that because they dont want to trade a guy for 20 games when hes going to just walk to Russia on the team at the end of the year.

Look if Datsyuk was gonna give his all to Detroit like Yzerman and play until he isnt effective anymore, sure dont get anything for him and let him retire a wing. But in reality hes leaving the team when hes still a legit top 5 center in the conference.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Just saying that you're lumping yourself into this alleged group of fans to which Datsyuk owes... something, apparently. Is it a required # of autographs every time he's noticed in public in Detroit, or # of pictures he has to pose for with fans before he can eat his dinner in a restaurant? How do athletes even keep track of what the general fan public wishes them to do, anyway- run online polls asking if they should retire or re-sign with the club, for how many years, incorporate a new move into the shootout repertoire, etc?

You're right- you choose to care about hockey. But it's your choice, and there are other options out there for anybody to pick over hockey (I'm in a Australian dwarf tossing fantasy league... freaking sweet!). Not sure how claiming that players owe fans something should make those players feel compelled to live out their lives and careers to cater to the whims of fans.

My point is that he doesn't owe me anything. I'm a Wings fan and he's a big reason for tuning in to watch games (especially against bad teams), but it's my choice to do so. This team would be basically boring to watch this year without him, so I'm hoping that we acquire/insert exciting players into the lineup soon to help fill the pending Pavel void. But until he calls it a career with Detroit, I'll appreciate what he does.

RedWingsNow*

Nope. You didn't. In fact, a search of the entire KK site took me 11 seconds Heaton...and the word "escalade" has literally never been used there. But, hey, facts are overrated eh?

That's pretty funny, actually.

I'm not overly concerned who over here reads A2Y or likes it, or whatever. But I'd never make anything like that up unless it was for effect or an obvious attempt at juvenile and borderline infantile humor. Even then, you probably wouldn't get it unless you've been reading us for a few years. And, believe me when I say this, that's fine by us.

I never accused you of making anything up.
I said it's hard to see, from your writing, what you say and what your source says.

I said it's hard to distinguish between what your source SAID pavel thinks, what your source THINKS pavel thinks, and what YOU THINK pavel thinks.

RedWingsNow*

No, and I wouldn't hold it against Datsyuk either. I'm just saying there's a convincing argument to be made that we bought his loyalty. It should at the very least factor into his decision to retire in his prime when he could still help the team, even if it doesn't outweigh opposing factors.

I would say "he has no obligation to continue working for us". But "he owes us nothing" just has additional connotations that are untrue. We, the fans, made him what he is. What would his life be like if nobody watched hockey? His name is well known internationally and he has the means to support himself forever along with the rest of his family because of us. He owes all that to us.

Yeah, I guess I see what you're trying to see.

Still don't agree:)

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You don't deal franchise players who are at the end of their careers unless they ask for it. Even if it makes logical sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad