Say goodbye to import goalies as the CHL overreacts to 'Canadian Golatending Crisis'

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Good for you... it seems as though we are the only 2 sane voices in this madhouse of silliness. Everything you argue I agree 100%.

Sanity?

There are two sides to this argument, and both are perfectly 'sane.' One promotes excellence through global competition, the other promotes a dozen more backup goalies from Junior A, and a dozen more borderline Major Junior Calibre starters.

But you know, gotta keep them Euros outta our country.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
:laugh: I enjoy how you cut out a few parts and respond to just those and ignore many parts of the posts.

Time will tell, won't it. I'm quite sure that the elimination of Euro goalies isn't going to drop the standard of goaltending as significantly as you and others are saying. The irony of people overreacting to this rule changing and then calling it an overreaction by Hockey Canada & the CHL makes my ribs hurt from laughing so much

I'm also fairly certain that by banning import goalies is going to suddenly make Canadian goalies better.

If they want to improve the quality of Canadian goaltenders they need to implement changes at an earlier age.

Why not try making hockey more accessible? Hockey fees in Canada are ridiculous, plus there is the cost of equipment as well. Maybe by reducing fees and supplying equipment you will get more kids playing hockey, and more willing to play goaltender that can learn as they grow?

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Why not try making hockey more accessible? Hockey fees in Canada are ridiculous, plus there is the cost of equipment as well. Maybe by reducing fees and supplying equipment you will get more kids playing hockey, and more willing to play goaltender that can learn as they grow?

Well, that's the actual solution here, but knee-jerk reactions like this please the Don Cherry 'I only want Canadians playing in Canada' types.

I'd like to see Hockey Canada subsidise costs for young goaltenders if they want to see the number of quality goaltenders increase.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Okay so.... This may be trolling but seriously, wouldn't this work?

I'm calling Connor Crisp on this one. There that is no rule that says you can't switch which position you play in the CHL right? And this rule states you cannot draft european born goalies, it doesn't say they can't play just can't be drafted. So couldn't a team still technically draft a player as a "forward" and then say "oh he
changed his mind he wants to be a goalie now we're throwing some pads on him" when he shows up?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sanity?

There are two sides to this argument, and both are perfectly 'sane.' One promotes excellence through global competition, the other promotes a dozen more backup goalies from Junior A, and a dozen more borderline Major Junior Calibre starters.

But you know, gotta keep them Euros outta our country.

If the CHL was a fully professional league and not a junior Canadian developmental league, then I'd understand your argument...but since the CHL is just that, a Canadian developmental league, I think you're over-reacting a tad.. you should be more concerned about the CHL destroying European junior leagues by siphoning off their best talent to play in Canada. Stronger European leagues is what is truly best for the game on a global level and not one dominate CHL that is a junior version of the NHL. Relax a tad... Hockey Canada has every right to enact measures as it sees fit for the betterment of Canadians. That's their mandate... not to ensure fair competition for the world....go complain to the IIHF. That's what they are there for...

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
If this move helps the CHL to accomplish their Purpose for existing then cool. It's broader implications remain yet to be seen.

I personally see this as more of a developmental issue -> that Canada just is not as good as some other nations at developing goaltenders, and perhaps we should re-evaluate how we are teaching kids to play in net. Obviously costs would have a part to play there as well, but it would not hurt to (as previously mentioned) scout other countries to see how they develop goalies in their systems.

Perhaps our problem goes down to pride in our dominance. We've seen ourselves as the best, with the best players and the best development for many years (perhaps starting in Original 6, but definitely since beating the Soviets at the Summit Series).
I suspect having the humility to admit that we are not as good as say Sweden or Finland when it comes to developing goaltenders, and that we need to have a re-evaluation of how we train our netminders.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
If the CHL was a fully professional league and not a junior Canadian developmental league, then I'd understand your argument...but since the CHL is just that, a Canadian developmental league,

I consider the CHL to be the best junior hockey league in the world, not just a Canadian domestic development league.

I think you're over-reacting a tad.. you should be more concerned about the CHL destroying European junior leagues by siphoning off their best talent to play in Canada. Stronger European leagues is what is truly best for the game on a global level and not one dominate CHL that is a junior version of the NHL.

I'd be lying if I said that my concern was with hockey on the a global level, or even with who makes it to the NHL. My concern with this decision by the CHL is held as a CHL fan.

I want to see the best possible product on the ice. I want to see the guys on my team develop as well as they possibly can, hopefully making the NHL. Top calibre players, especially European players, indirectly bring in casual fans. More directly, the standings bring in casual fans. I want to see my team do as well as possible. I want to see other teams do as well, financially, as possible. The best way to accomplish this is by icing the best possible roster. Placing further limitations on how strong you can make your team is detrimental from a player development standpoint, sure, but it is also bad for the CHL as a whole. This might be a small step, but it's a step in completely the wrong direction.

There were 47 Canadian starters in the CHL this past season. Prior to the first import draft in 1992, there were 43 teams. If anything, the CHL was doing something right in the past two decades. The league is larger and healthier, and thanks to that, there are actually more opportunities for Canadian goaltenders. You can't deny that the growth of the CHL is at least in part thanks to the advent of these exceptional Europeans players. Protectionist policies like this move the league backwards, and that will make the CHL, as a whole, weaker.

Relax a tad... Hockey Canada has every right to enact measures as it sees fit for the betterment of Canadians. That's their mandate... not to ensure fair competition for the world....go complain to the IIHF. That's what they are there for...

A fine example of why the CHL should distance itself from Hockey Canada. The constituent members of the modern CHL and Hockey Canada have conflicting goals.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I consider the CHL to be the best junior hockey league in the world, not just a Canadian domestic development league.

I'd be lying if I said that my concern was with hockey on the a global level, or even with who makes it to the NHL. My concern with this decision by the CHL is held as a CHL fan.

I want to see the best possible product on the ice. I want to see the guys on my team develop as well as they possibly can, hopefully making the NHL. Top calibre players, especially European players, indirectly bring in casual fans. More directly, the standings bring in casual fans. I want to see my team do as well as possible. I want to see other teams do as well, financially, as possible. The best way to accomplish this is by icing the best possible roster. Placing further limitations on how strong you can make your team is detrimental from a player development standpoint, sure, but it is also bad for the CHL as a whole. This might be a small step, but it's a step in completely the wrong direction.

There were 47 Canadian starters in the CHL this past season. Prior to the first import draft in 1992, there were 43 teams. If anything, the CHL was doing something right in the past two decades. The league is larger and healthier, and thanks to that, there are actually more opportunities for Canadian goaltenders. You can't deny that the growth of the CHL is at least in part thanks to the advent of these exceptional Europeans players. Protectionist policies like this move the league backwards, and that will make the CHL, as a whole, weaker.

A fine example of why the CHL should distance itself from Hockey Canada. The constituent members of the modern CHL and Hockey Canada have conflicting goals.

Well then I have a solution. The CHL and the USHL merge into one giant N.American super junior league and operate outside the governing jurisdiction of Hockey Canada and USA Hockey and it can then be the best quasi junior professional league in the world. Expand to a total of 90 teams and have a open and fair draft at 16 years of age for all players N. American and European. Lets demolish what is left of junior hockey in Europe.

What you call the CHL is really of no importance. The reality is it's a Canadian junior domestic league... you can be a fan of that... or not. I really don't care either way. I'm done on this subject... nothing left here to discuss.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Well then I have a solution. The CHL and the USHL merge into one giant N.American super junior league and operate outside the governing jurisdiction of Hockey Canada and USA Hockey and it can then be the best quasi junior professional league in the world. Expand to a total of 90 teams and have a open and fair draft at 16 years of age for all players N. American and European. Lets demolish what is left of junior hockey in Europe.

Call me a traditionalist but I like the format where there are three regional constituent leagues, under the umbrella of a larger CHL. I like the current format.

If the European junior leagues can't compete with the CHL, that's hardly the fault of the CHL.

What you call the CHL is really of no importance. The reality is it's a Canadian junior domestic league...

Yes and no. It's more than that, but there's a definite focus on developing North American talent, ergo the rule that rosters cannot be comprised of more than 10% import players. European players are a nice accent that boosts the quality of play, fan interest, and is generally beneficial.

you can be a fan of that... or not.

Oh, I am a fan of what it is now. If they want to take steps to lower the quality of the product that I pay about $1500 a year for, I'm going to speak up wherever and whenever possible.

I really don't care either way. I'm done on this subject... nothing left here to discuss.

Okay, I know you need to make sure the Europeans don't try to creep over your fence. I won't keep you. :)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Call me a traditionalist but I like the format where there are three regional constituent leagues, under the umbrella of a larger CHL. I like the current format.

If the European junior leagues can't compete with the CHL, that's hardly the fault of the CHL.

Yes and no. It's more than that, but there's a definite focus on developing North American talent, ergo the rule that rosters cannot be comprised of more than 10% import players. European players are a nice accent that boosts the quality of play, fan interest, and is generally beneficial.

Oh, I am a fan of what it is now. If they want to take steps to lower the quality of the product that I pay about $1500 a year for, I'm going to speak up wherever and whenever possible.

Okay, I know you need to make sure the Europeans don't try to creep over your fence. I won't keep you. :)

You just had to be insulting didn't you? That's your game insult anybody whose opinion doesn't jive with yours! Well here, I have some advice for you.... You dole out a whole 1500 bucks per year for season's tics.... why don't you save that and move out of your parent's basement and get your own place... grow up and stop being so melodramatic.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
[/B]

You just had to be insulting didn't you? That's your game insult anybody whose opinion doesn't jive with yours! Well here, I have some advice for you.... You dole out a whole 1500 bucks per year for season's tics.... why don't you save that and move out of your parent's basement and get your own place... grow up and stop being so melodramatic.

Well, this is Canada. You can't go havin' foreigners running around taking jobs from good, hard-working Canadians, now can you? That's really the point of this policy.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm ignorant, you say. You can't play here because you're Finnish. You can't play here because you're Slovak. That's not terribly enlightened and inclusive... It's at best ignorant, at worst racist. This decision is so asinine and rooted in Hockey Canada's insecurity that I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on this matter.

:laugh: I'm so sick of people feeling entitled to everything. Tell me why exactly it's a Slovaks right to come play in the CANADIAN hockey league? He couldn't come play midget AAA if he wanted (if you haven't noticed, only Euro's in NA under 16 are playing prep - not midget). It's the Canadian Hockey League and they set their own rules. I remember a Canadian Basketball League that had a height limit, you couldn't be over 6'8" :laugh:

Why not let 25 year olds play? That's ageism!!!!!!! :sarcasm:

That's not the topic at hand. Any league that would limit who is allowed to play in it based on something as minor as birthplace is clearly not striving for excellence. I don't think I'm hiding the fact that I think that leagues are foolish for placing these limitations on their teams, especially when there are as many business implications as there are in the CHL.
Why can't a Canadian based league strive for excellence within their own country? Why should Canadian Hockey league be striving to develop players for other countries? Tell me why. I'd love to hear why it's the CHL responsibility to develop everyone around the world as hockey players and why they can't have their own rules. Plus the league already restricted players based on birthplace :laugh:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I'm also fairly certain that by banning import goalies is going to suddenly make Canadian goalies better.

If they want to improve the quality of Canadian goaltenders they need to implement changes at an earlier age.

I'm well aware and I completely agree that removing Euro players from the junior ranks isn't going to be a fix to goalie development in Canada.

I take issue with people who suggest the league is going to decrease in quality over 13 goalies no longer being in the league as if their aren't 13 goalies out there that can hold their own in the CHL (roughly 4-5 goalies per league)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Okay so.... This may be trolling but seriously, wouldn't this work?

I'm calling Connor Crisp on this one. There that is no rule that says you can't switch which position you play in the CHL right? And this rule states you cannot draft european born goalies, it doesn't say they can't play just can't be drafted. So couldn't a team still technically draft a player as a "forward" and then say "oh he
changed his mind he wants to be a goalie now we're throwing some pads on him" when he shows up?

Connor Crisp was dressed as a goalie on an emergency basis under the rules. I thought of this too but I knew it was silly before I finished the thought lol

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
:laugh: I'm so sick of people feeling entitled to everything. Tell me why exactly it's a Slovaks right to come play in the CANADIAN hockey league?

Well, I suppose it isn't a 'right,' but competition is good. Furthermore, if you want to be the top junior league in the world, you should have it open to global competition. It will still be dominated by Canadians.

He couldn't come play midget AAA if he wanted (if you haven't noticed, only Euro's in NA under 16 are playing prep - not midget). It's the Canadian Hockey League and they set their own rules

Come now - Do you not know that I think that this is stupid? The CHL can set their own rules, but xenophobic, protectionist policies are bad for the league.

I remember a Canadian Basketball League that had a height limit, you couldn't be over 6'8" :laugh:

What's basketball? Is that that game they play in prison?

Why not let 25 year olds play? That's ageism!!!!!!! :sarcasm:

The AJHL (possibly all Jr A/AAA leagues? I'm not sure) as well as Junior B already allow you to have a 21 year old. I don't have a problem with this at all. As for the 25 year olds, there comes a point where the imbalance in talent would be absurd. A 25 year old would destroy a 16 year old, and it would become a huge issue very quickly. I would like to see major senior grow though.

Why can't a Canadian based league strive for excellence within their own country? Why should Canadian Hockey league be striving to develop players for other countries? Tell me why. I'd love to hear why it's the CHL responsibility to develop everyone around the world as hockey players and why they can't have their own rules.

Global competition is good for the CHL. Bringing in a few exceptional foreigners raises the overall quality of play in the league, and that's good for development. Furthermore, bringing in guys who tend to be amongst the best players on the team is good for the guys around them too. Take Martin Réway for example - you can tell that the other guys on the team are learning things from him. Like the time that he threw a waist-high cross-crease lacrosse pass to Poirier... They guys who would be there instead of Europeans would be Junior A calibre guys right now. You take out top players and replace them with guys who will barely play because they'll be worse than today's fourth liners/bottom pairing guys.

As for why we should develop talent from other countries, it's a trade off. You develop foreign talent, and in turn that foreign talent gives a boost to everyone in your league. I see it 45 or 50 nights a year - these sensational European players make everyone else around them better.

Above all else, the CHL is a business. Teams want to ice the best possible lineup, and create as much fan interest as they can. Sensational European players create more fan interest than guys who couldn't make major junior teams. Remember - anyone who is as good as these import players is either playing major junior now, or playing in Junior A in order to keep NCAA eligibility (and this group wouldn't come to major junior anyway). They can have their own rules, but if their using them to weaken the league like this, the fans should be complaining .

Plus the league already restricted players based on birthplace :laugh:

'Tis a shame...

I take issue with people who suggest the league is going to decrease in quality over 13 goalies no longer being in the league as if their aren't 13 goalies out there that can hold their own in the CHL (roughly 4-5 goalies per league)

Just to put this out there again, there were 47 Canadian starters in the CHL last year. The year before the first Import Draft in 1992, there were 43 teams. There are actually more Canadian starting goaltenders now than there were before the advent of the Import Draft. This is in part due to the fact that there are more teams now. There are more teams now because the CHL is stronger and healthier than it ever has been, and this is at least in part due to the increased quality of play created by allowing a limited amount of global competition.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Well, I suppose it isn't a 'right,' but competition is good. Furthermore, if you want to be the top junior league in the world, you should have it open to global competition. It will still be dominated by Canadians.

With or without Imports - the CHL is the best junior league on the globe. What you don't understand is what the word best means :laugh: It doesn't mean it has every one of the best junior players in the world - it means their teams have the best resources, play the best competition, and provide the best route to the NHL among all the top junior leagues in the world. I'll say it again and you'll likely still not comprehend, but with or without imports the CHL is the best junior league in the world. If you'd like to counter with a league you think is better than the CHL I'd enjoy a chuckle.

Come now - Do you not know that I think that this is stupid? The CHL can set their own rules, but xenophobic, protectionist policies are bad for the league.

Nonsense.

What's basketball? Is that that game they play in prison?

Speaking of racism...

The AJHL (possibly all Jr A/AAA leagues? I'm not sure) as well as Junior B already allow you to have a 21 year old. I don't have a problem with this at all. As for the 25 year olds, there comes a point where the imbalance in talent would be absurd. A 25 year old would destroy a 16 year old, and it would become a huge issue very quickly. I would like to see major senior grow though.

Many Jr. A/B/C leagues employ the same rule - doesn't change my sarcastic statement. Why should age dictate who can and can't play in the league? if the 16 year olds can't play with the 25 year olds, they're not good enough for the league :sarcasm: (It's the same flawed logic you're using for imports)

Global competition is good for the CHL. Bringing in a few exceptional foreigners raises the overall quality of play in the league, and that's good for development. Furthermore, bringing in guys who tend to be amongst the best players on the team is good for the guys around them too. Take Martin Réway for example - you can tell that the other guys on the team are learning things from him. Like the time that he threw a waist-high cross-crease lacrosse pass to Poirier... They guys who would be there instead of Europeans would be Junior A calibre guys right now. You take out top players and replace them with guys who will barely play because they'll be worse than today's fourth liners/bottom pairing guys.

"A few exceptional foreigners" but the majority of the Euro goalies are meh and could easily be replaced (See Prospects thread, I'm not rerererepeating myself again)

Martin Reway is a forward and isn't effected by this rule so bringing him up is irrelevant.

As for why we should develop talent from other countries, it's a trade off. You develop foreign talent, and in turn that foreign talent gives a boost to everyone in your league. I see it 45 or 50 nights a year - these sensational European players make everyone else around them better.
That's hogwash. There are many cancerous Euro players as well and it can go both ways (See Kirill Kabanov) Lucrative bias

Above all else, the CHL is a business. Teams want to ice the best possible lineup, and create as much fan interest as they can. Sensational European players create more fan interest than guys who couldn't make major junior teams. Remember - anyone who is as good as these import players is either playing major junior now, or playing in Junior A in order to keep NCAA eligibility (and this group wouldn't come to major junior anyway). They can have their own rules, but if their using them to weaken the league like this, the fans should be complaining.
The CHL is a business and if you had it your way your team would be loaded with all the Europeans possible as long as they were the best. Do you know how difficult that would be to sell to a Canadian market :laugh:

'Tis a shame...
No, it's really not. Some could say that it's a shame that a Canadian who grew up watching his home town CHL team and striving to play on that CHL team and would make the team had it not been for a Euro player who was paid to come over from Russia. I know you'll make an asinine comment as if it's logical like "take our jobs" or "Good ole Canadian boy" but at the end of the day those are the people the league was originally created for and those are the people who are supporting the teams finances. I'm actually sure more ticket buyers would side for the local kid than the Euro. It's not at all my point, just stating what general consensus would be and how out of touch you really are.

Just to put this out there again, there were 47 Canadian starters in the CHL last year. The year before the first Import Draft in 1992, there were 43 teams. There are actually more Canadian starting goaltenders now than there were before the advent of the Import Draft. This is in part due to the fact that there are more teams now. There are more teams now because the CHL is stronger and healthier than it ever has been, and this is at least in part due to the increased quality of play created by allowing a limited amount of global competition.

Are you seriously saying that the imports coming to the CHL is the reason why there is more teams today? That's easily the most absurd thing I've seen someone attempt to connect to this debate. Hilarious.

It's very clear that you want to watch European juniors and it's very clear that you're more interested in being entertained than the development of junior hockey players. As a hockey guy, I'm more interested in watching players develop in the CHL. The simple fact that you want no limits and wouldn't mind seeing less Canadians and more Europeans displays your bias pretty clear and your completely out of touch with the point of view of the league.

I'll be awaiting anxiously for you to name what junior league is going to be the top once CHL eliminates Euro goalies.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
With or without Imports - the CHL is the best junior league on the globe. What you don't understand is what the word best means :laugh: It doesn't mean it has every one of the best junior players in the world - it means their teams have the best resources, play the best competition, and provide the best route to the NHL among all the top junior leagues in the world. I'll say it again and you'll likely still not comprehend, but with or without imports the CHL is the best junior league in the world. If you'd like to counter with a league you think is better than the CHL I'd enjoy a chuckle.

While the CHL would continue to be the best junior league in the world, it would certainly weaken itself. Why weaken your business for no reason?

Speaking of racism...

:shakehead Smartass remark =/= racism.

Many Jr. A/B/C leagues employ the same rule - doesn't change my sarcastic statement. Why should age dictate who can and can't play in the league? if the 16 year olds can't play with the 25 year olds, they're not good enough for the league :sarcasm: (It's the same flawed logic you're using for imports)

There are very real, biological reasons that are not nearly as stark between 16 and 20 year olds. It's not the same 'flawed logic,' it makes the point that 25 year olds are almost always much bigger and stronger than 16/17/18 year olds. There's no biological difference between Europeans and North Americans of roughly the same age that would make the European so disproportionately bigger and stronger than the North American.

"A few exceptional foreigners" but the majority of the Euro goalies are meh and could easily be replaced (See Prospects thread, I'm not rerererepeating myself again)

Like Marvin Cüpper, who was sensational despite his craptastic team? Like Mrázek and Neiderberger who were both sensational too? You'll have to forgive me for my lack of WHL knowledge.

If they were so easily replaceable, I guarantee that teams would cut their Import goalies in order to acquire a less expendable player on whom to place of of their two import tags. If there are two players who bring exactly the same thing to the table, you go with the one who doesn't eat up an import of OA tag.

Martin Reway is a forward and isn't effected by this rule so bringing him up is irrelevant.

He's still a fine example of a European who makes everyone around him better. I can't imagine that European goalies don't have the same impact on their teams. A little hockey 'culture,' if you will, that is imparted upon their teammates (especially their backup). If I were a coach, and I could bring in a goalie from whom my backup and I could learn the mysteries of the European goaltender who's such a threat, I'd leap on the opportunity. It just makes sense. I would want the best guy for the job either way.

That's hogwash. There are many cancerous Euro players as well and it can go both ways (See Kirill Kabanov) Lucrative bias

That's a discipline and coaching issue. You cut guys who are detrimental to the team.

The CHL is a business and if you had it your way your team would be loaded with all the Europeans possible as long as they were the best. Do you know how difficult that would be to sell to a Canadian market :laugh:

You say to the fan of the team whose fanbase still talks about Pavel Rosa, David Krejčí, AleÅ¡ Hemský, etc...

Everybody loves a winner.

No, it's really not. Some could say that it's a shame that a Canadian who grew up watching his home town CHL team and striving to play on that CHL team and would make the team had it not been for a Euro player who was paid to come over from Russia. I know you'll make an asinine comment as if it's logical like "take our jobs" or "Good ole Canadian boy" but at the end of the day those are the people the league was originally created for and those are the people who are supporting the teams finances. I'm actually sure more ticket buyers would side for the local kid than the Euro. It's not at all my point, just stating what general consensus would be and how out of touch you really are.

That 'good ole Canadian goaltender' sure is blessed to have the opportunity to sit on a Major Junior bench, rather than playing in Junior A. The players that will move as a result of this rule likely won't go anywhere, other than for a spin around the carousel. Hey, maybe they'll get a year of university out of it.

And casual fans want a mix of local players and elite players. Fans in Val-d'Or won't care about a backup goalie from Tadoussac.

Are you seriously saying that the imports coming to the CHL is the reason why there is more teams today? That's easily the most absurd thing I've seen someone attempt to connect to this debate. Hilarious.

The rise in quality of competition due to the advent of import players is certainly a factor in the increased popularity of Major Junior hockey. It's not the only factor, but it's a big one. That increased nationwide popularity has in turn led to a greater number of teams.

It's very clear that you want to watch European juniors and it's very clear that you're more interested in being entertained than the development of junior hockey players.

A little from column A, a little from column B... A higher quality league will do a better job developing ~1000 Canadian players (~100 Canadian goalies) than a lower quality league will ~1100 Canadians (~110 Canadian goalies), where those extra players are generally the worst in the league. It will also be more entertaining for the fans, which is good for business.

As a hockey guy, I'm more interested in watching players develop in the CHL. The simple fact that you want no limits and wouldn't mind seeing less Canadians and more Europeans displays your bias pretty clear and your completely out of touch with the point of view of the league.

Development is good. A stronger league is good for development. My actual proposal is to consider European players to be non-imports after a certain number of years. That is to say, players who come over at 16 or 17 are considered non-imports at 19 or 20, whereas players who come over at 18 or 19 aren't. Allowing teams to keep their 'home-grown' veterans is a good thing, and it further strengthens the league when you allow them to do so without penalty.

Also, if I'm out of touch with the point of view of the league, I'm very much in touch with the point of view of individual teams.

I'll be awaiting anxiously for you to name what junior league is going to be the top once CHL eliminates Euro goalies.

It will still be the CHL. The CHL of 2012-13 would be better than the future CHL without European goaltenders though.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
I like how you keep trying to state what's good for business. One could argue that more goals is good for business (Example - NHL making goalie gear smaller to ramp up goal scoring) so if there were 13 (realistically 3 good goalies of 13) less goalies in the leagues there would be more scoring which is good for business.

At the end of the day, it's 13 goalies. You think that 13 goalies no longer being spread across the three leagues will honestly be a detrimental loss for the CHL when in the real world people can see that the league won't be hurt by the loss of 13 players total players over 60 teams. I'm ending this back and forth now, you're repeating yourself over and over and ignoring any points I make so it's not worth the time to discuss it further.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I like how you keep trying to state what's good for business. One could argue that more goals is good for business (Example - NHL making goalie gear smaller to ramp up goal scoring) so if there were 13 (realistically 3 good goalies of 13) less goalies in the leagues there would be more scoring which is good for business.

At the end of the day, it's 13 goalies. You think that 13 goalies no longer being spread across the three leagues will honestly be a detrimental loss for the CHL when in the real world people can see that the league won't be hurt by the loss of 13 players total players over 60 teams. I'm ending this back and forth now, you're repeating yourself over and over and ignoring any points I make so it's not worth the time to discuss it further.

Exactly right... and realistically I don't buy the argument that there will even be a drop off in the overall quality of the league, as those young back ups with increased playing time, training and the right development can be as every bit as competent as the goalies they are replacing. I happened to catch an interesting interview with a Canadian goaltender coach who is Finland picking their brains... so Hockey Canada with the help of the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation seem to be cooperating and HC is serious about the situation... so as someone who is always critical of Hockey Canada, I'll cut them some slack on this one.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR

Most of these half-brained ideas to 'increase scoring' end up being pointless. For example, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the trapezoid out last year.

At the end of the day, it's 13 goalies. You think that 13 goalies no longer being spread across the three leagues will honestly be a detrimental loss for the CHL when in the real world people can see that the league won't be hurt by the loss of 13 players total players over 60 teams.

There are other negative impacts that this policy will have, many of which I've discussed, some of which I haven't (including the blow to the CHL's international reputation that this will cause). In turn, this will help nothing. I absolutely guarantee that this won't increase the number of Canadian goaltenders being drafted into the NHL

I'm ending this back and forth now, you're repeating yourself over and over and ignoring any points I make so it's not worth the time to discuss it further.

Your points all revolve around how most junior leagues don't allow imports at all (and apparently two wrongs make a right), how this won't impact the overall quality of play because it affects so few players (which ignores the fact that this is an alarming step in the wrong direction), and how the CHL will still be the best junior training ground in the world, even if they put needless and xenophobic policies in place (which is true, but it will be weaker than it is now).

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Your points all revolve around how anyone should be allowed to play anywhere which is a fantasy land. What's wrong with Canadian Leagues being for Canadians, Russian leagues for Russians, Finnish leagues for Finns, etc. with limited imports? It isn't Canada's responsibility to develop hockey players for every country.

I get that you're a fan and want to watch the best of the best but you're not getting that with the imports who come in now and you never will so you best get over it because you're dream of all the best players regardless of birthplace will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen. Did I mention ever?

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Your points all revolve around how anyone should be allowed to play anywhere which is a fantasy land.

It's hardly a fantasy land where the CHL manages to restrain itself from imposing new barriers.

What's wrong with Canadian Leagues being for Canadians, Russian leagues for Russians, Finnish leagues for Finns, etc. with limited imports?

Limitations on players due to where they get their passport from is absurd, but I'm okay with the system that was in place. Now they're imposing further xenophobic rules for no reason other than the fact that Hockey Canada is feeling insecure over their recent WJC failings.

It isn't Canada's responsibility to develop hockey players for every country.

And it isn't the responsibility of CHL teams to produce players for the Canadian World Junior team. It's the responsibility of CHL teams to make money and to provide paying fans with thebest possible product, within the framework of being a junior development league.

I get that you're a fan and want to watch the best of the best but you're not getting that with the imports who come in now and you never will so you best get over it because you're dream of all the best players regardless of birthplace will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever happen. Did I mention ever?

So, we should make things worse, because we're not getting everything? (I don't feel like copying and pasting. Just re-read this line 121 times if you need the effect.)

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
It's hilarious what you perceive the CHL to be. You think those kids are there for your entertainment and nothing else and that the CHL's responsibility is to you, to provide you with the best junior players on the planet.

Your agenda and the agenda of the league are very very very very different and you're way out of touch but fail to understand that your opinion is a tiny minority.

A lot of people were initially outraged but it died down significantly once people understood how minor this change is. Granted those people were able to understand that the CHL isn't the NHL, it's main focus is Canadian hockey player development for the next level whether it be the pro ranks or the CIS. They work in a very close partnership with Hockey Canada so it's in their best interest to develop top Canadians > Euro's.

I'm very glad you're not calling the shots for the CHL :scared:

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
Your agenda and the agenda of the league are very very very very different and you're way out of touch but fail to understand that your opinion is a tiny minority.

In the case of the agenda of the league versus agenda of the individual teams, I'm on the side of the individual teams

A lot of people were initially outraged but it died down significantly once people understood how minor this change is.

A lot of people were initially outraged and then lost interest. There's a difference.

Granted those people were able to understand that the CHL isn't the NHL, it's main focus is Canadian hockey player development for the next level whether it be the pro ranks or the CIS.

Such a naïve view on how the CHL works... This policy is about Hockey Canada panicking over the recent losses at the WJC.

They work in a very close partnership with Hockey Canada so it's in their best interest to develop top Canadians > Euro's.

Increasing competition is better for everyone, save for the few who miss out because they're beaten out.

I'm very glad you're not calling the shots for the CHL :scared:

My team would make money... Probably win a few more championships...

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
You can keep breaking down my posts in 6 sections, I'm not playing that game anymore lol

I like how you called me naive when you fail to understand the compensation that Euro's are getting to come over and play in the CHL. So not only are players coming and taking a Canadians spot, but he's also getting compensation that a player like Nathan MacKinnon couldn't get despite MacKinnon being bigger for the QMJHL than any other player since Crosby.

You don't know if your team would win more championships lmfao

You seem to be a believer in "survival of the fittest." You think the Canadian League should open it's door for everyone and if the Canadian kids can't keep their spot, tough titty. So to you, it's better to have a 19 year old playing in the CHL for a year then going home > giving a 16 year old a chance to play, develop into a potential pro who might represent his country at some point? Again, you're completely out of touch.

Finally, lost interest? So you agree most of initial outrage was by people who could care less about the league and just complained for the sake of complaining. They weren't educated on the situation and the more they read up on the situation they realized how insignificant this change is.

Feels like I said this 1000 times but I don't think this is going to develop better quality goalies because the issue is at the grass roots level, but the quality of the league isn't going to change, figure it out already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad