GDT: SAUNAMEN @ rags' dusty shoeshine stand

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
We can play better, but losing the first PP is tough. The Rangers are elite on the powerplay, and when they get to set up in our zone, that takes away our kill's biggest advantage. You can't have perfect faceoff wins, but I'd categorize the first faceoff on the penalty kill as the most important draw to win, and we lost them both. Rangers have some set plays which worked wonders, and I'm sure they have more up their sleeve.

I don't buy the "we didn't play a complete game" bit. We're playing playoff teams. No one looks great the whole 60 minutes. The other team is trying too. I think we're very much used to seeing us outwork the other team most of the time. The compete is high, but the other team is good enough that they will always have a pushback.

I didn't see a lot of the game, but what I did see of the powerplay we looked pretty good, just didn't score. I'm not as worried about that. We were really 0-4 on the PP, not 0-5, as one powerplay lasted 6 seconds.

Also maybe the biggest thing is for the Canes to play relaxed. The Rangers and Panthers are in our heads perhaps after recent playoff wins against us. If the Canes can play loose on the road, I like their chances. If they grip their sticks every time the Rangers get a powerplay, this series won't last long.

I loved how Carolina has a no quit mentality. Even down 2 they still made it a game with ENG and had chance there at the end...until the penalty.

We just need to get off to better starts and play that way the whole game. Game 5 of the Islander series was a good example. Nice strong start...then we take a breath in that 2nd period and Islanders tie the game.

Can't do that vs the Rangers.

Fortunately, that bad start didn't turn into a blow out and we were able to weather the storm; once we got our legs going I thought we played better than the Rangers (despite the score).

I have a feeling this may be like the Capitals series back in 2019. We did not beat them at all that season in the regular season and lost 2 straight on the road in the first round to them...but we won the series in 7.

I just know the Capitals were in their heads that season.

I'd much rather we come home with the series tied 1-1 rather than 2-0 though because I'd feel better about our chances with the series even rather than down 2-0, although all the Rangers would've done is defend home ice.

Win tomorrow and go from there. Easier said than done.

But time for Carolina to prove whom they are.

Thankfully, it was only game 1.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
At this point Guentz can go back to PA unless he produces

ANd nope., Weve looked like shit all but one or two games, and even those we slept some or most of
Yeah run him out of town! That bastard letting only 2 players (Jarvis+Necas) score more points than him on the team. Take Aho, Skjei and Svech with him since they also only have 5 points in 6 games.

Reactions: cptjeff

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
Guentzel is having an unGuentzel like playoffs...and many Ranger fans think it's because he's not with Crosby.

Thing is Aho has also been quiet and where's Teuvo and Kuznetsov.

A lot of our stars haven't been stars and have been quiet this postseason.

Time for them to wake up.

Jarvis is basically the only one contributing on a consistent basis.

I was hoping to get more offensively from Svech.,..especially since he missed all of last season's playoffs.

You'd think he come back with a vengeance.

He was somewhat quiet in the first Ranger game as well.

Credit to the Rangers I guess for shutting them down but need more from our top guys if we want to make it to the ECF.

Not going to worry about it much after just 1 game this round...but they need to show up tomorrow or at some point this series...or I'll be sending an APB out on them.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Where’s aho and teravainen and kuzentsov? Aho has 5 points in 6 games, tied for 3rd on the team, while the other two are tied for 4th with 4 points. These may not be superstar numbers but to accuse them of disappearing isn’t quite accurate either

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah run him out of town! That bastard letting only 2 players (Jarvis+Necas) score more points than him on the team. Take Aho, Skjei and Svech with him since they also only have 5 points in 6 games.

The thing about Guenztal is he’s getting points, but not really contributing to the goals (for the most part).

Game 2: A primary assist on TT’s goal and an Empty net goal. His assist was a very nice set up that we’d like to see more of.
Game 3: A secondary assist on Orlov’s goal, because a pass from an Islander through the neutral zone went off his skate. Svech did everything to create that goal.
Game 4: Primary assist on Jarvis’ goal, though the goal itself was a bevy of humanity out in front after a Burns shot. The puck came loose out of the pile and Jarvis jumped on it.

Game 1: Secondary assist on Slavin’s goal, granted because he whiffed on a shot in a rush down the ice, putting the puck in the corner where Aho scooped it up and brought it to the point for Slavin.

So of his 5 points this playoffs, 1 (maybe 2) came from being a competent offensive threat. It’s been a very far cry from the Jake we were expecting to get.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
The thing about Guenztal is he’s getting points, but not really contributing to the goals (for the most part).

Game 2: A primary assist on TT’s goal and an Empty net goal. His assist was a very nice set up that we’d like to see more of.
Game 3: A secondary assist on Orlov’s goal, because a pass from an Islander through the neutral zone went off his skate. Svech did everything to create that goal.
Game 4: Primary assist on Jarvis’ goal, though the goal itself was a bevy of humanity out in front after a Burns shot. The puck came loose out of the pile and Jarvis jumped on it.

Game 1: Secondary assist on Slavin’s goal, granted because he whiffed on a shot in a rush down the ice, putting the puck in the corner where Aho scooped it up and brought it to the point for Slavin.

So of his 5 points this playoffs, 1 (maybe 2) came from being a competent offensive threat. It’s been a very far cry from the Jake we were expecting to get.

He looked a lot better when GAJ was together. I realize Svech on the top line for reasons and all that, but there was obvious chemistry with Aho, and Jarvis.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
You know, we're doing all this talk about Guentzel...and he'll probably rack up 6 points in the next two games or something.

He did have success vs the Rangers in the playoffs two years ago.

I know two years ago means nothing now but the point is he's had success vs the Rangers. No reason to think he can't do it again.

I'd love to see him replicate that or at least get close.

If he can at least get close to what he did two years ago I think we have a shot of moving on.

Need to see more Aho and Svech as well. I know it was game 1 but for some reason I expect more from them.

I mean, right now the Rangers stars are shining in the playoffs.

Ours need to as well. The point totals for our stars in the playoffs is not terrible and fortunately we have depth but during crunch time stars need to up their performance.

Also, IMO I think game 2 will be huge. They're all huge but game 2 is I believe a MUST win for Carolina here. I just have this feeling that whomever takes game 2 is taking the series.

It's vital they steal tomorrow's game.

No more lackadasical play (like the first period). Start on time and don't chase the game.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad