Saudi Arabia set to host 2034 World Cup

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Had Saudi Arabia hosted instead of Qatar that would have been palatable given their history of participation at least, but there's no good reason for that region to host this often.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
No one else has bid. Tells you more about the financial burden of hosting than anything tbh

Or the bribes.
Both.

Hosting these kinds of events is a not an economic benefit for the host country.

But Saudi Arabia's explicit plan is to throw so much money at sports that people hopefully forget about everything else they've been involved in. They don't care about the cost and we know they'll bribe FIFA to get there.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
So probably another winter World Cup, only slight benefit is the time zone difference compared to Australia but these bid processes for World Cups have been pathetic. Also dreading the quasi outrage from mostly the English media about boycotting these events when they cover a league where half or more of their clubs in the EPL are owned by UAE/Qatar/Saudi

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I've been looking at traveling to Saudi Arabia for a couple years now. Almost pulled the trigger on a quick 2 day visit coming home from Doha last year.

I try and make it every WC so I'll likely go to this one too... But man it sucks. It wasn't unexpected after the 3 confederation host in 2030, but it's still gross. Would've much preferred Australia. Surprised China isn't "bidding" if I'm honest.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Chinese soccer is doing bad in the current economic environment and the government doesn't want to host without a chance of success. Instead the strategy has been to invest in school sports and eventually build on that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No one else has bid. Tells you more about the financial burden of hosting than anything tbh
Honestly I don’t blame anyone else for bidding. Why waste the money when KSA had it in the bag? Don’t think the “financial burden of hosting” had a lot to do with it. Yes it exists, but I don’t think that’s what happened here

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It's about money, it was always about money, it will always be about money. But let's be sure to clarify - it's about dirty money. It's corruption, not legitimate business.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I've been looking at traveling to Saudi Arabia for a couple years now. Almost pulled the trigger on a quick 2 day visit coming home from Doha last year.

I try and make it every WC so I'll likely go to this one too... But man it sucks. It wasn't unexpected after the 3 confederation host in 2030, but it's still gross. Would've much preferred Australia. Surprised China isn't "bidding" if I'm honest.
That seven-figure salary probably helps a lot, eh?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
That seven-figure salary probably helps a lot, eh?
Not even close, haha. I work for an airline though and get free flights. Goes a long, long way. And some of the prior ones I went to (Russia, France) I only saw one match.

I've also been fortunate over the past few years. Hotels can obviously be absurdly expensive, but I stayed 3 days in Russia for a total of $170 for accomodations, and 8 days in Doha for $850 thanks to booking as soon as things opened for sale.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I've also been fortunate over the past few years. Hotels can obviously be absurdly expensive, but I stayed 3 days in Russia for a total of $170 for accomodations, and 8 days in Doha for $850 thanks to booking as soon as things opened for sale.
That's the thing with these major tournaments, if you plan things out and get booking right away, you can save a lot of money in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad