Horse Racing: Sat. Belmont's card (post #1134), NBC coverage begins at 4:30 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ I don't get easily swayed but she did it to me very early in her career and caught my eye in her very first race. The report cites an injury. Hopefully she is fully healed. She is a talented specimen.

AR-161209551.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Look at these numbers:
  • Won at all seven tracks in which she ran (Saratoga, Delaware, Belmont, Santa Anita, Parx, Keeneland and Del Mar).
  • Was 15 13-2-0 lifetime
  • Was 14 12-2-0 in graded stakes races
  • Was 11 9-2-0 in Grade I races
  • Was 2 2-0-0 in Grade II races
  • Was 1 1-0-0 in Grade III races
  • Earned $4.6 million

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Wow. That's a shocker. I was looking forward to seeing her run in the Zenyatta potentially and then seeing her and Forever Unbridled clash in the Distaff.

Reading the damage they found, I'm very happy that she came through her race unscathed and nothing disastrous happened. Could have been ugly if the injuries she suffered are accurate.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
August 31, 2017

Saratoga (New York):
  • As we enter the final weekend of the annual meet, Chad Brown maintains a 1-win lead over Todd Pletcher among trainers: 36-to-35.
  • Jose Ortiz leads his brother Irad among riders 54 wins to 50.
  • Among the nine T-bred races, Irad Ortiz was the only multiple-winner. Nine trainers won once.
  • The $2 Pick 6 returned over $44,000.
  • John Velazquez/Todd Pletcher won again with a 2-year-old this time in the $100,000 feature race. Johnny V. gets to rides Cadillacs. Pletcher gets to train impeccably bred talents. The latest is Orbolution who is a filly to Kentucky Derby winner Orb. And another thing: she wanted to continue running well after the race had concluded. A very, very striking young one. She is now 4 2-0-2 but perhaps more importantly a perfect 2-for-2 on turf.

Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • Larry Jones. One starter. One winner. He is 15-for-56 (27%) at the meet and tied with Anthony Pecoraro (15-for-50) for most wins. Jones is in the top three 66% of the time.
  • John Rigattieri is an excellent veteran east coast trainer, active since the 1970s. He isn't the most well-known but he is 10-10-3 in 36 races (28%/64%). He'll probably head to Tampa Bay again.

Gulfstream Park (Florida):
  • Tyler Gaffalione added three more wins including two by narrow margins. He has a meet-leading 55 victories.
  • Tyler Gaffalione in race 5.
  • Race 7: Luca Panici finished in a deadheat with Edgard Zayas and there was an inquiry/objection that was nullified somewhere in the chaos. It doesn't get more of a nail-biter than this ending.
  • Whatever you can do I can do better and that is what happened in race 8 with a 3-way fury and a photo finish for second. Tyler Gaffalione with an incredible surge in the stretch. The favorite and leader, 7 lengths at one point, heading into the stretch was caught on both sides and finished third.

Penn National (Pennsylvania):
  • Ashley Castrenze, who earlier had one mount at Delaware, rode for her mother (trainer Jackie Acksel) and finished third on the second largest shot on the board at 31-to-1. The $.50 trifecta paid $655.

Charles Town (West Virginia):
  • In the finale, under the lights, there was a 42-to-1 winner which led to a $.50 Pick 4 return of $24,000. That is a staggering total.

Remington Park (Oklahoma):
  • It happened! Lane Luzzi finally won and in his 13th start at the meet. It was his 8th win in his 180th start of 2017. Rose of Malibu is a first-time starter who is a New York-bred in a race with horses foaled in Kentucky, Florida, Texas, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Mexico. There has to be a little sense of relief in the Luzzi camp. As mentioned in this thread yesterday, he struggled with few opportunities at Laurel after relocating there from Gulfstream following losing his bug. He is looking to resurrect his young career.

Del Mar (California):
  • Joe Talamo got things underway with a 32-to-1 shot in the opener.
  • Joe Talamo won the second race on chalk and the double paid $259 for a deuce.
  • Joe Talamo finished second to Victor Espinosa in race 3.
  • Joe Talamo won race 4.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
He is nothing if not resplendent

Trainer Eric Guillot sat on a bale of hay near where his two fillies for upcoming stakes were stabled and lamented the No. 1 post for Gabrielleelizabeth in Saturday's Grade I $300,000 Del Mar Debutante in a way that reflected his Louisiana roots.

“The West Coast mafia done got me and stuck me with the one hole,” Guillot said. “I should have been there for the draw. Now, I'm going to have to get out a voodoo doll for the racing office.

“At first I thought I was here for a reason and not the season and to be appeasin' but now I'm stuck on the rail.”

Guillot, 55, is here with Gabrielleelizabeth for the Debutante and Unstablenthemornin for the $100,000 Juvenile Fillies Turf on Monday. With major stakes for 2-year-old fillies, on dirt and turf, both here and at Saratoga, and horses training in Florida, Guillot was faced with a dilemma.

“It looked like the races at The Spa (Saratoga) were going to be a lot tougher. They entered for the Spinaway yesterday and it's only a five-horse field,” Guillot pointed out. “There's eight here (in the Debutante), so it looks like we made a mistake. But it is what it is. Too late, we're here.

“I don't go by the nickname Giant Killer No. 2 or Dragonslayer No. 1 in New York for no reason. If I've got one in, I've got a chance.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/...lot-preparing-voodoo-dolls-grade-1-debutante/

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The two races which will be shown on NBCSN this Saturday:

SPINAWAY STAKES (Grade I)
  • What: The winner advances to the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies division.
  • History: Inaugurated in 1881. The most famous winner was perhaps Ruffian in 1974. Todd Pletcher has won this race a record six times.
  • When: Saturday, September 2, 2017, Race 10 of 12, 6:11 pm Eastern Time
  • Where: Saratoga Race Course, Saratoga Springs, New York
  • Distance: 7 furlongs
  • Surface: Dirt
  • Purse: $350,000
  • Runners (age, sex): Two-year-old. Fillies.
  • Preview: http://www.drf.com/news/spinaway-pair-turf-stakes-top-woodward-undercard
  • Television: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm ET on NBCSN (along with race 11) . Additional coverage 3:30 pm ET to 6:00 pm ET: MSG+, FSPT, FSSD, FSO. TVG 24/7 horse racing.
  • Radio: Horse Racing Radio Network will have coverage from 4:00 pm ET. It streams live on their website and will air on Sirius 108 and XM 201.
  • Full card: http://www.drf.com/race-entries/track/SAR/country/USA/date/09-02-2017

Post​
| Horse (location bred) | Age/Sex | Jockey |
Weight​
|
Trainer​
|
Morning Line Odds​
1|Separationofpowers (KY)| 2/filly| Jose L. Ortiz |118| Chad C. Brown |6/5
2| Obvious Two (KY) |2/filly| C.J. McMahon |118 |Anthony T. Quartarolo| 30/1
3| Lady Ivanka (OK)|2/filly| Irad Ortiz, Jr. |118 |Rudy R. Rodriguez |9/2
4| Pure Silver (NY) |2/filly| John R. Velazquez |122 |Todd A. Pletcher |1/1
5| Maya Malibu (KY)| 2/filly| Javier Castellano |118 |H. Graham Motion| 8/1

=================================================

WOODWARD STAKES (Grade I)

Post​
| Horse (location bred) | Age/Sex | Jockey |
Weight​
|
Trainer​
|
Morning Line Odds​
1| Neolithic (KY)| 4/colt| Jose L. Ortiz |118 |Todd A. Pletcher| 6-1
2| Gun Runner (KY) | 4/colt | Florent Geroux| 124| Steven M. Asmussen |2-5
3| Rally Cry (KY) | 4/colt | John R. Velazquez| 120 |Todd A. Pletcher| 5-2
4| War Story (KY) | 5/gelding | Irad Ortiz, Jr. |120 |Jorge Navarro | 8-1
5| Discreet Lover (FL) | 4/colt | Manuel Franco |118 |Uriah St. Lewis| 30-1

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 1, 2017

Saratoga (New York):
  • For the last Friday of the meet, handle was over $18,000,000 and attendance exceeded 21,000.
  • Joel Rosario won the finale on board a 1-to-5 chalky favorite. The runners up were 16-1, 55-1 and 113-1. The second place finisher, a beautiful rare white horse, was ridden by Chris DeCarlo. The $1 super paid over $3,800...with a 1-to-5 on top.
  • Jose Lezcano won consecutive races, one on turf and one on dirt. In the turf race, New York's Finest bolted through the gate, generally a disturbing sign, but the horse looked splendid in victory in wiring the field. New York's Finest is now 4-for-6 lifetime including 3-for-3 with Lezcano since a change from Irad Ortiz, Jr. There was also an objection/inquiry in which John Velazquez was elevated to second and the original place horse dropped to off-the-board.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr./Michael Trombetta teamed to win the $100,000 feature race with a 7-to-1.
  • Irad Ortiz, Jr. has been suspended again, this time for five days; however, he is in the appeal process. It is for a racing infraction this past Sunday.
  • Chad Brown now leads Todd Pletcher 37-to-35 among trainers at the meet.

Arlington (Illinois):
  • To continue the theme mentioned here in recent days, Jose Valdivia, Jr. won three times today and has now increased his wins lead over second place by a stunning 73: 119-to-46.
  • An incredible pay out of $405,368.60 in the $1 Super High Five Jackpot.

Ellis Park (Kentucky):
  • The card was canceled after the first race due to track conditions related to Hurricane Harvey.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Trainer Juan Rizo won for the first time in his 48th start in 2017.
  • Trainer Jonathan Thomas, a former top assistant to Todd Pletcher, won with a second-time starter who romped in her debut by 8 1/2 lengths. The trainer is 14-for-45 (31%) in 2017 and an incredible 6-for-11 (55%) at the meet.
  • Tyler Gaffalione had five rides and finished in the money in each, he had two wins.
  • Darryl Holland, who is 45 years old and rode overseas in many countries, won for the first time in the U.S. and now sports a 1-for-32 mark.

Del Mar (California):
  • As the meet concludes Monday, Flavien Prat, Rafael Bejarano and bug Evin Roman each has 28 victories to lead the meet.
  • Five trainers have 13+ winners led by Richard Baltas' 16.
  • The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $63,000 following the fifth race.
  • The $2 Pick 3 paid over $6,700.
  • The $1 super in the finale paid over $20,000.
  • The $.50 Pick 4 after the finale paid over $17,000.

Woodbine (Toronto, Canada):
  • The carryover keeps increasing for the Super Hi-5 which will begin Saturday at $1,187,684.26. There was slightly more than $121,000 added today.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Rick Porter has his own medical problems and of course what happened with Eight Belles. Many emotions must have been ongoing and clearer minds prevailed. Songbird hopefully becomes healthy and gets on with the next stage of her life as a broodmare.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 2, 2017

Saratoga (New York):
  • The last Saturday at the meet saw over $22,000,000 wagered.
  • Was that the Woodward 2017 or the 1973 Belmont Stakes? Wow. What a performance. Gun Runner, at least for now, confirms he is THE best horse in North America. Florent Geroux/Steve Asmussen have something extra special. Beyer Figure released Sunday is 115. Official length of victory is 10 1/4 lengths.
  • John Velazquez won four times including the natural hat trick by race 3. It is essential to remember Johnny V. began this meet terribly but recovered in splendid fashion. His 42 wins is third at the meet behind Jose Ortiz (55) and Irad Ortiz (52) but a meet best 26% winning percentage which is far and away the best among riders with 10+ victories. Even with mostly Cadillacs, that is a tremendous feat.
  • Chad Brown (38) leads Todd Pletcher (37) by one victory among trainers after Pletcher's trio of victories today.
  • The winner in race 4 was out for the 68th time. Slim Shadey has also won his last two races, not an easy task for a 9-year-old at the Spa.
  • Junior Alvarado has been nearly invisible this meet but he had a 54-to-1 mount come in third and pay $19.80 at the end in race 5. For a moment, he looked as if he could pull off the impossible.
  • In the Grade III Saranac ($300,000 purse), Voodoo Song (Jose Lezcano/Linda Rice) was bet down from a 12-to-1 M/L and paid $14.40 for the win in an inspiring performance. Voodoo Song was 1-for-5 lifetime heading into this meet but is now 5-for-9. That makes a remarkable 4-for-4 since this meet has begun, one of the top stories this summer. Favorite Bricks and Mortar was 4-for-4 lifetime but had trouble recovering from a bad start and was buried after trying to challenge.

• Lady Ivanka (Irad Ortiz, Jr./Rudy Rodriguez) was captivating in the Grade I Spinaway ($350,000 purse). The filly is 2-for-2 lifetime and gets an automatic invite to the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies division. She was purchased for the sum of $80,000 at the mid-Atlantic sale earlier this year. She was bred in Oklahoma which in itself is a fairly unique angle for the BC races.
  • Harmonize (John Velazquez/Bill Mott) won the $200,000 Grade III finale in a feverish finish. Harmonize last won under Junior Alvarado in the 2016 Del Mar Oaks, and snapped a 6-race skid.

Suffolk Downs (Massachusetts):
  • The third of four weekends of racing for 2017.
  • The duo of Erik Barbaran/Jay Bernardini won three times. That is where I expected Bernardini when I mentioned him in prior weekends. He had starters in four races and won three. He is now 6-for-29 (21%) at the meet. He trains mostly at Mountaineer now.
  • Jay Bernardini won the first two races including a dead heat in race 2.

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • In the $75,000 feature race, Todd Pletcher had three starters and two fizzled; however, he won the race with Chris DeCarlo riding a 7-to-1 to win. Hyperbole of the past aside, DeCarlo is a good rider -- with a good internal clock -- even at his advanced age. DeCarlo is a personal favorite. Larry Jones' overwhelming favorite finished second leading to a nice exacta of $40.20.

Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Great day of racing highlighting Pennsylvania breds.
  • The Man, who is half-owned by Bob Baffert's wife and is a PA-bred, won for the seventh straight time. Bob Baffert formerly trained but the gelding is now under the direction of John Servis and ridden by Jorge Vargas, Jr. who rode the last six times and all in Pennsylvania.
  • How about Page McKenney? The 7-year-old gelding won one of the $100,000 races and is now 19-15-4 in 50 career starts with over $1.5m earned. Another PA-bred done good.

Timonium/Laurel (Maryland):
  • Timonium closes September 4 while Laurel opens September 8.

Kentucky Downs (Kentucky):
  • The meet opener was canceled due to weather related to Hurricane Harvey. The annual brief meet, which can be highly popular with bettors, ends September 14. The card will be re-scheduled for September 6.

Arlington (Illinois):
  • In the feature race, Devileye improved to a perfect 5-for-5 lifetime after conquering longshot Richiesinthehouse who finished second. The all-Illinois bred race had a $65,000 purse.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Emisael Jaramillo had a fantastic afternoon with five victories in nine starts. He is a veteran rider mostly in Venezuela but has found a home in south Florida the last three-plus years.
  • Tyler Gaffalione was scheduled to ride in Kentucky today but the track's card was canceled. He rode two second place horses in his two starts. In the last three days of racing, Gaffalione is 12 5-4-2 (11 of 12 in the money).
  • Rider Eric Cancel visited from New York and won the $200,000 feature race.

Del Mar (California):
  • Track handle neared $18,000,000.
  • As the final two days of meet are ahead, the leading jockeys are Flavien Prat (32) and Rafael Bejarano (29) and the leading trainers are Richard Baltas (17) and Phillip D'Amato (16).
  • In the Grade I Debutante Stakes ($300,000 purse), Moonshine Memories (Flavien Prat/Simon Callaghan) won at 5-to-1. A rider switch from Mike Smith who won in the filly's debut but Smith opted to ride Poetic, who showed little, for Richard Mandella. None of the top three bettor's choices ran particularly well.
  • St. Patrick's Day (Flavien Prat/Bob Baffert) broke his maiden in his second race and could get some early attention for the 2018 Kentucky Derby. The 2-year-old colt was out for the second time and finished second in his debut.
  • In the Grade II John Mabee ($200,000 purse), Cambodia (Drayden Van Dyke/Neil Drysdale) won as the 5-to-2 co-favorite with the other 5-to-2 finishing in second. The winner has the odd records of 6-0-5 in 13 lifetime starts and 5-0-4 in her last 9 starts.

• The Jackpot continues to grow and will start at $1,249,159 for Sunday's card.
  • Saturday's pay out was $27,444 for successful $.20 wagers.
  • $1 Pick 4 was $12,149.75 and $1 super worth more than $20,000 lit up the finale.

Randwick (Australia):
  • Make that 19 wins in a row for Winx with a "barnstorming finish."

============================================

GUN RUNNER:

BREEDERS' CUP CLASSIC: Gun Runner vs. Arrogate vs. all others. The fun starts now.

Gun Runner ($2.70) covered 1 1/8 miles in 1:47.43, the fastest of 12 Woodwards run at Saratoga – Liam’s Map ran 1:47.44 in 2015 – and the fastest since Ghostzapper ran 1 1/8 miles at Belmont in 1:46.38 in 2004. Ghostzapper won the Breeders’ Cup Classic that year.

“He stepped up,” trainer Steve Asmussen said. “We all know what’s happened over the last couple of weeks” he added, referring to losses by Arrogate in the Pacific Classic and Songbird in the Personal Ensign.

“This was our last race leading into the Breeders’ Cup,” Asmussen added. “I thought that it went as well as we could have hoped. Now if we can get out to California in good shape and try to finish off the year.”

The Classic means a showdown with Arrogate, who, despite two losses at Del Mar, remains a major contender for Horse of the Year based on victories earlier this season in the inaugural Pegasus World Cup at Gulfstream Park in January and the $10 million Dubai World Cup, where he overcame a disastrous start to fly past Gun Runner in the stretch.

http://www.drf.com/news/gun-runner-romps-woodward-setting-stage-breeders-cup-showdown

In the "Pictures are worth 1,000 words" Department:
gun-runner-the-woodward-credit-susie-raisher.jpg

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It appears inclement weather will reach the northeast U.S. and surrounding areas. Saratoga has already announced it is off the turf for Sunday, a first since August 19.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Un-Saratoga-like small fields for big races yesterday.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 3, 2107

Saratoga (New York):
  • Saratoga has established an all-sources record handle for a meet $660,286,851.
  • Getting overlooked so badly at the Eclipse awards in January may have been the best thing to happen to Todd Pletcher. He has surged throughout the calendar year and has overtaken Chad Brown 39-to-38 heading into the meet's closing day Monday. Tomorrow just got another entertaining element.
  • Jose Ortiz will likely top the rider's title with a 5-win lead over his brother.
  • John Velazquez, who won three times today, is now at 27% at the meet and that is significantly better than any rider with three or more victories. Velazquez also has 45 wins, seven in the last two days, which is solidly in third place.
  • The $250,000 Grade II feature race for 3-year-old fillies was won by Vertical Oak (John Velazquez/Steve Asmussen).
  • Manny Franco won three more times and is having an exceptional meet especially in terms of bringing home prices. He became the fourth rider to reach the 30-win mark, too, and now has 31.
  • In yesterday's review, I mentioned how Junior Alvarado was invisible this meet. Not many mounts, perhaps a reflection of his recent injuries and how he fell on the depth charts but today he shined on a 10-to-1 winner.
  • Weather toyed with much of the card today.
  • There was a lengthy tote delay following the last race. Perhaps the same outfit, but tote delays seemed to have followed for a couple of the night tracks, too. A minor inconvenience in the long run but tote issues at Saratoga are uncommon.

Suffolk Downs (Massachusetts):
  • This track may have suffered more than any today with terrible weather in the sixth of eight live racing days for 2017. Many scratches and rider changes made handicapping difficult to process. Additionally, a mid-card announcement that the following races would be off-the-turf. Too bad as the prior day seemed to run smoothly.

Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • In the opener, the race was declared a dead heat but what complicated matters is a photo finish was never shown due to an equipment malfunction.
  • The Spirit of '76! Due to multiple scratches in race 4, a match race developed with the 7 and 6 as the only entrants.

Ellis Park/Kentucky Downs (Kentucky):
  • The crummy weather in the region the last couple of days seemed to have evaporated with sunny skies at Ellis.
  • Kentucky Downs was supposed to begin the meet Saturday but will now have its opener on Wednesday.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Jagr scored again. Now 3-for-7 lifetime but with wins in three of his last four starts.

Del Mar (California):
  • One day left in the meet. Flavien Prat appears ready to claim the jockey crown with a 4-win lead over Rafael Bejarano. The trainer's race is much closer with Phil D'Amato and Richard Baltas tied at 17 and Peter Miller (12%) and Mark Glatt (24%) within reach at 15.
  • In the $100,000 Del Mar Juvenile Turf, Encumbered (Mario Gutierrez/Simon Callaghan) topped a large field of 14 2-year-old males.
  • In the Grade II $250,000 Del Mar Derby, Sharp Samurai (Gary Stevens/Mark Glatt) made a bold move coming into the stretch and earned an impressive victory. The 3-year-old gelding is now 5-for-8 lifetime with a 3-race win streak.

• The jackpot has now reached $1,290,094.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Many tracks are running on the Labor Day holiday. The card for Saratoga: http://www.drf.com/race-entries/track/SAR/country/USA/date/09-04-2017

A potential early glimpse into the 2018 Kentucky Derby will be on tap at the Spa Monday. The Hopeful should be exciting. Mojovation will get much exposure and play.

The writer didn't include Afleet Alex and that memorable frenzied ride but I will add it:

The Grade 1 Hopeful has a long history for launching great careers throughout its running at Saratoga Race Course. Since 1903, the winners’ list shows notables such as Regret, Man o’ War, Native Dancer, Nashua, and Foolish Pleasure, not to mention Triple Crown winners Whirlaway, Secretariat, and Affirmed.

Trainer Todd Pletcher, a three-time winner of the Hopeful, sends a strong pair in Mojovation and National Flag to the gate. The former, a son of Quality Road, rated nicely in his sole start to win by 2 lengths for Triple Crown-winning owner Zayat Stables. National Flag brings an extra race in his career, with a tiring seventh place finish in his debut at Belmont on the Stars & Stripes undercard after he dueled with the winner, Shangroyal, for the first 1/2-mile. The Speightstown colt returned on August 5 to best eight others by 1 1/4 lengths after a bump-filled 6-furlong run.

https://racingdudes.com/hopeful-stakes-preview-mojovation-looks-to-be-zayat-stables-next-star/

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 4, 2017

Saratoga (New York):
  • Saratoga set a record handle $676,709,490 wagered in the meet which began in mid-July and ended today. Belmont opens Friday.
  • The final day had a few odd events and a controversial conclusion to the feature race.
  • 82-year-old Wayne Lukas did it again. He won the $350,000 Grade I Hopeful Stakes for the record-setting 8th time with Sporting Chance ridden by Luis Saez. Some early Kentucky Derby buzz about runner up Free Drop Billy (Robby Albarado/Dale Romans), too. The race was without controversy as the eventual winner remained despite an inquiry to determine if he had cut into the path of the runner up.
  • John Velazquez was unseated after Driven by Speed (Todd Pletcher) crashed through the starting gate prematurely. Velazquez got back on board and rode. In the next race, he rode Mojovation in the Grade I Hopeful, again for Todd Pletcher, but the morning line favorite was cold on the board and came up short. Why wasn't the colt put on the lead from the rail? Johnny V. was then replaced in the finale by Manny Franco for trainer Bruce Levine.
  • Make that consecutive cards with winners for Junior Alvarado who won the opening race at 5-to-1 on a first-time starter. He had just six winners all meet.
  • What happened to Junior Alvarado's mount in race 8. Free N Clear was just that heading into the stretch at 24-to-1. There was a moment where it looked as if the horse had a chance. Then something mysterious happened as the filly bore out as wide as possible and finished awkwardly. Equipment? Something else?
  • In one race, Jose Ortiz claimed foul against his brother Irad.
  • Jose Lezcano was the sole rider to win multiple times. He won the finale in a romp for trainer Richard Schlosberg who entered 0-for-13 at the meet.
  • Todd Pletcher (40) edged Chad Brown (39) for the trainer's title by one victory.
  • Jose Ortiz captured the rider's crown for the meet with 58 wins. John Velazquez won 26% of his rides which was a meet high (minimum four wins).

Monmouth (New Jersey):
  • Race 8: Luis Reyes, who rode a 99-to-1 winner at Saratoga days ago, rode an 84-to-1 to victory which paid $171.80. The $2 exacta paid $1,029. The $1 super was more than $24,500. The $2 double was $1,175.80. The $2 Pick 3 returned $7,752.
  • Race 9: $2 Pick paid over $4,500. The $2 double was more than $2,300.
  • Race 10: $2 Pick 4 paid over $30,000. The $2 Pick 3 returned more than $6,000.

Parx (Pennsylvania):
  • Big day on the racing schedule: Smarty Jones Day.
  • Pavel (Mario Gutierrez/Doug O'Neill/Reddam Racing) cruised in the $350,000 Smarty Jones for 3-year-olds. The colt is 2-for-3 lifetime. O'Neill win run either Irap (more likely) or Pavel in the Pennsylvania Derby.
  • Javier Castellano and Kendrick Carmouche, visiting riders from New York, each won twice. Castellano won a $100,000 then followed it with a win in a $200,000 Grade III 1 1/2 mile race. Carmouche won the $300,000 Grade III turf race and the finale.
  • In race 5, all five runners were bred in different states: Pennsylvania, Kentucky, New Jersey, Florida and Illinois. The Florida-bred won.
  • In race 9. all seven runners were bred in different states: Pennsylvania, Kentucky, New Jersey, Virginia, Texas, New York and Maryland. The New York-bred won.

Presque Isle (Pennsylvania):
  • Race 8 finished with a highly uncommon result: 1 though 8... in that order.

Ellis Park (Kentucky):
  • A record handle of $38,380,549 was established for the 31-day meet.
  • Calvin Borel won twice including in the final race of the meet.
  • Corey Lanerie won the jockey's title for the meet with 35 wins.
  • Steve Asmussen (17%) edged Brad Cox (34%) by one win for the trainer's title though he (Asmussen) had 59 more starters.

Arlington (Illinois):
  • The numbers remain mind-boggling: Jose Valdivia, Jr. has a 78-win (126-to-48) lead over the second place rider.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Luca Panici won twice including a 22-to-1 bomb in the finale that looked like a champion runner. Even better for a lucky handicapper, Panici's bomb was singled successfully in the last of the $.20 Rainbow 6 races and thus returned $166,304.60 Luca is very popular right now.
  • Trainer Jonathan Thomas, a former top assistant to Todd Pletcher, won again and is now a stunning 12 7-1-0 (58%) at the meet.
  • Tyler Gaffalione and Emisael Jaramillo each won three times. Gaffalione is the meet's leading rider with 64 wins,

Del Mar (California):
  • The meet closed today. All sources handle topped $12.5 million per day for the 36-day season for roughly $450,000,000.
  • There were nine handicappers who hit the Pick Six and each collected $87,763.60.
  • Phil D'Amato, who won the finale, and Richard Baltas shared the trainer's crown with 18 wins each.
  • Flavien Prat won the jockey's crown with 35 wins at the meet.
  • Kent Desormeaux topped a ticket that paid $61.80 for the win.
  • In race 9, the $100,000 Del Mar Juveniles' Fillies turf, 19-to-1 shot Terra's Angel (Sasha Risenhoover/Dallas Keen) topped an incredible winning ticket. The $1 exacta paid more than $1,100. Successful handicappers also got over $4,000 for a $.50 trifecta and more than $70,000 for a $1 super. Odds for the top four were: 19-1, 46-1, 10-1, 6-1. The jockey, from Oklahoma, and the trainer, from Texas, both had their first and only wins of the meet. Not a bad way to make a splash.
  • In the $300,000 Grade I Del Mar Futurity, Bolt d'Oro (Corey Nakatani/Mick Ruis) improved to 2-for-2 lifetime and will obviously get some Kentucky Derby buzz after this victory. Nyquist and American Pharoah won this race in the last three years.

• The carryover has now reached $1,332,741. What needs to happen is a fortunate handicapper has to pick the top five in exact order in the designated race and be the only person to do so.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I have hyped this kid for a while. It is starting to fall into place. Rip it up!

Kentucky Downs is generally considered a favorite with many ambitious players because of the takeouts. A short but highly popular meet.

Tyler Gaffalione, one of horse racing's rising stars, will ride all five days of Kentucky Downs' unique all-grass meet offering the richest average daily purses in America.

From a family of jockeys, Gaffalione began riding in 2014 and has won at least 200 races the last three seasons, including 217 in 2015 when he won the Eclipse Award as North America's outstanding apprentice jockey.

Riders often struggle after losing their apprentice's weight allowances, known as the “bug” and which let their mounts carry less weight in order to encourage trainers and owners to use young, inexperienced riders. But Gaffalione's career has actually taken off. He's already at 221 wins and $7.5 million in purses on the year.

“It's been amazing,” he said by phone. “I've had a lot of help, though. Both my agents, before it was Walter Blum and now it's Matt Muzikar, did great jobs. They work hard, and trainers have given me great opportunities. They continued to support me even after I lost the bug, and that's the biggest thing. And just a lot of luck.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/...e-travels-north-exciting-kentucky-downs-meet/

=====================
TITLE: Kentucky Downs meet set for belated kickoff Wednesday

After the remnants of Hurricane Harvey hit the Bluegrass State last weekend and forced the postponement of opening day at Kentucky Downs, the all-turf track in Franklin, on the border with Tennessee, will get their five-day meet started Wednesday afternoon.

With massive purses enhanced by proceeds from historical racing, favorable takeout rates across the board, and capacity fields, Kentucky Downs has become extremely popular with horseplayers around the country in recent years. The average daily handle over five days in 2016 was $4.5 million, which cracked the Top 10 among all U.S. Thoroughbred tracks.

The card drawn for last Saturday will go as is on Wednesday, with older milers and two-year-olds featured in the day’s major stakes. The $400,000 Tourist Mile for three-year-olds and up will mark the return to action of multiple Grade 1-placed stakes winner Shining Copper, last seen taking the $100,000 Lure at Saratoga in August 2016.

http://www.brisnet.com/content/2017/09/kentucky-downs-meet-set-belated-kickoff-wednesday/

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 6, 2017

• The opening day of the meet which is highly popular with enterprising and studious handicappers. The meet runs annually for five days (Sept. 6, 7, 9, 10 and 14 in 2017). It is very unique in that it is a European style course. The track is relatively new and borders Tennessee. Finding the finish line can be a momentary horror based on the sightlines. But that adds to the intrigue.
  • Tyler Gaffalione, won twice including the finale for Michael Maker which paid $17.80. There aren't too many chances to get that pair for that price. Feargal Lynch each won twice on the 10-race card.
  • Applicator (Jose Valdivia, Jr./Mikhail Yanakov) invaded from Illinois and pulled a mild stunner in the $400,000 feature race with a $29.40 pay out. Valdivia, Jr., who has been sizzling this summer at Arlington Park, won twice.
  • Feargal Lynch, who rode many years in Europe especially in Britain, may have had prior experiences on this style course and won twice. He was one of three riders to win multiple races at the track today. He currently rides mainly in the mid-Atlantic region in the U.S.
  • Snapper Sinclair (Ricardo Santana, Jr./Steve Asmussen) won the $350,000 Juvy race. The colt is 2-for-2 with Santana after finishing second under Jose Ortiz at Belmont.
  • Ten different trainers won.
  • It is always wise to give Julio Garcia/Wesley Ward extra attention. The veteran jockey is Ward's exercise rider and has limited starts. He is 14-5-4 in 33 starts this year (42% wins, 70% in the money) after going 3 1-1-0 today.
  • A 28-to-1 shot won race 2 under the direction of Julie Burke. She also began her career in Ireland and continued in England.
  • The $2 double after race 3 paid $847. The $1 Pick 3 paid over $3,800.
  • The $2 Pick 3 after race 4 paid $9,866.20.
  • The $1 Pick 4 after race 5 paid more than $20,000.

Indiana Grand (Indiana):
  • An extraordinary day in Indiana with bombs galore. Five of the 10 winners paid $20 or more.
  • Race 1: $23.60 winner.
  • Race 2: $50.00 winner, $792.80 for the $2 exacta, $22,188.80 for the $1 superfecta.
  • Race 3: $25.80 winner. $2 Pick 3 paid $37,406.40. The $2 double paid $784.80.
  • Race 4: $2 Pick 3 returned $17,801.40.
  • Race 5: In the $100,000 A.J. Foyt , a $130.80 winner lit up the board and paid $59.40 for place. Other pay outs included $2,850 for the $2 exacta, $64,682.40 for the $2 trifecta and $82,427.90 for a $1 superfecta. Since no one was successful in the $2 Pick 4, $2,585.60 paid out for hitting three out of four. $16,419.20 paid out in the $2 Pick 3. And this was all because of a riveting photo finish between a 64-to-1 and 22-to-1 which obviously doesn't occur too often.
  • Not unexpectedly, Florent Geroux won the two $200,000 purse races including with Cowboy Culture (for Brad Cox) and the second for trainer James DiVito as a rider substitution.
  • Eduardo Perez, who had four wins, and Robert Gorham teamed for three victories. Perez had a natural hat trick with wins in races 2, 3 and 4.

Gulfstream (Florida):
  • Canceled racing for Thursday (tomorrow) through Sunday due to Hurricane Irma.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^ There is more in-depth information provided in this article. Whether it is the best solution or something with risk, the horses will be tended by the workers remaining.

Badgett said about 500 horses will remain on the Gulfstream backstretch through the impending storm. They will all be housed in the newer barns or tents that serve as barns. In addition, the nearly 450 horses stabled at Gulfstream Park West are, for the most part, remaining there, Badgett said.

“The tents are hurricane safe up to 175 mile-per-hour winds,” Badgett said. “At Gulfstream West, it looks like that’s actually going to be a pretty good place to be because and they won’t get the big hit from the ocean side. As for our newer barns, anything built down here after 1992 or 1993 has to be up to standards when it comes to hurricanes, and that’s the case with all of those barns. The dormitories are also hurricane proof. For a lot of the workers, these guys are actually safer here than going up the road north where there’s really nowhere to go.”

The horse vans have had to make their way through the snarling conditions on the Florida highways as people are fleeing the area. It is about 42 miles from Gulfstream to Palm Meadows. A one-way trip, Badgett said, took the vans about 6 ½ hours to complete on Thursday.

Trainer Stanley Gold told the TDN that he had sent his entire stable to Arindel Farm in Ocala. Arindel is one of his major clients. Trainer David Fawkes said he left 30 horses at Gulfstream and sent 10 to Ocala, and in many cases left the decision up to his owners.

“Some are leaving and others are going to stay,” Fawkes said. “A lot of people who I train for said the storm is going to hit the Ocala area, too, so they don’t see how much there is to gain by leaving. You could put a lot of time and effort into leaving and wind up in the same situation. We’ve been though this before, with Hurricane Wilma, and nothing happened to the horses. It was a huge storm but all the horses were fine. For the horses that stay here, we’ll do everything we can for them and hope for the best.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/750-horses-evacuated-from-gulfstream-others-stay-put/

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
September 7, 2017

• HANA - Horseplayers Association of North America - selected this track the best in North America for the last three years much in part due to a low takeout. ( http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/2016Sortable.html )
  • Julien Leparoux was on fire today. He scored a natural hat trick and won four races on 8 mounts. He was in the money seven times and finished 8 4-2-1. Leparoux's winners paid $9.40, $17.60, $11.20 and $31.40.
  • Florent Geroux won the opener which means, coupled with his two late victories at Indiana yesterday, he was on a 3-race win streak.
  • In race 3, I don't know much about Cesar Ordaz other than he is a regular rider at Belterra in Cincinnati, but he won his first start of the meet with a 30-to-1 morning line bet down to 16-to-1. The horse was one of two starters, of 12, that had run multiple races, most were out for the first time.
  • In race 4, Julien Leparoux had what would be the first of his four winners. The filly had one prior race and won in England.
  • In race 5, a stunning pay out of $493,651 for a $1 superfecta (or more than $987,000 for those who still play $2 supers). Jon Court/Victoria Oliver teamed to bring home a $92.20 winner with Over Thinking, a 2-year-old filly who had one prior race. The odds were 45-to-1, 5-2, 19-1 and 34-1 to complete the superfecta. The $864,253.50 in the 2005 Kentucky Derby remains a benchmark but the field was deeper and the pool somewhat larger. The Pick 4 returned $209,015.20. The Pick 3 returned $25,265.20. The double was a paltry $435.40.
  • In race 6, the $2 Pick 3 was over $4,000.
  • In race 7, the $2 Pick 3 paid $5,308.60.
  • In race 8, the winner paid $31.40, the place horse paid $31.00, the exacta returned $611.20 and the trifecta was over $3,200 (all based on $2 bets). It was the third straight race won by Julien Leparoux.
  • In race 9, Tyler Gaffalione and his colt were simply gamed in the stretch.
  • In race 10, the finale, Jose Ortiz visited from New York and picked up the win. The $.50 Pick 5 paid over $13,000.
  • The leading riders through two dates: Julien Leparoux (4) and Tyler Gaffalione (3). Robby Albarado is struggling at 0-for-14.
  • The leading trainers through two dates: Michael Maker and Ian Wilkes (3 wins each).
  • All-sources handle was $5,402,254 which is an increase of 34% compared to day two in 2016. It is the second highest figure in track history.

Delaware Park (Delaware):
  • John Rigattieri did it again. For the third straight racing day, he had one starter and it won. He is now 5 4-1-0 with his last five runners. As mentioned, he is a veteran east coast trainer who is generally formidable. He knows how to place horses.
  • John Rigattieri is a remarkable 33% in wins and 68% in finishing in the money (top 3).
  • Larry Jones was 0-for-2 today but still leads the meet in wins. He is 28% in wins and 66% in finishing in the money.

Remington Park (Oklahoma):
  • The $.50 Pick 3 in one race netted $1,814.90 with a 48-to-1 shot winning. The $98 pay out was the largest for the track this racing season.

Los Alamitos (California):
  • Opened its meet. This is the main southern California track while Santa Anita (September 25 - October 29) and Del Mar (November 1 - 26) are dark.
  • In race 4, the winner paid $95.20.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Mohaymen has been retired. It is the right decision. I preached it a few times especially prior to his most recent races and the chorus agreeing amplified. The connections tried everything, or so it seemed. The horse just didn't want to run anymore. It happens.

Being caught in the tempest of anticipation and excitement early was significant and rewarding with the successes but not momentarily anguished with the Florida Derby loss in the slop. The slight rebound in the Kentucky Derby offered a link to respectability. But it was downhill from there. Kiaran McLaughlin maybe thought he could work some magic, turf, distances, equipment, but the best decision was finally made. Hopefully the colt has a long and successful history in the next chapter of his life.

Shadwell Stable’s Mohaymen (Tapit–Justwhistledixie, by Dixie Union), the $2.2-million joint topper at the 2014 Keeneland September sale and four-time graded stakes winner, has been retired from the races and will stand the 2018 at Nashwan Stud on Shadwell Farm for a fee of $7,500.

Bred by Clearsky Farm, the same operation responsible for champion Arrogate (Unbridled’s Song), Mohaymen hit the ground running at two, winning his maiden at first asking over six furlongs before adding the one-mile GII Nashua S. and the nine-furlong GII Remsen S., cementing his status as a leading Kentucky Derby hope for 2016. He carried that top form into his sophomore season with smashing victories in the GII Lambholm South Holy Bull S. and GII Xpressbet.com Fountain of Youth S. and ran with great credit in the Run for the Roses, closing well to just miss third behind Gun Runner (Candy Ride {Arg}) while finishing ahead of the horses who would go on to finish one-two in the GI Belmont S.

Trained throughout his career by Kiaran McLaughlin, Mohaymen retires with five wins from 13 starts and earnings of $998,417.

“Mohaymen was an very talented racehorse and is an extremely smart individual,” said McLaughlin. “He was definitely one of the best 2-year-olds I ever trained.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/mohaymen-retired-to-shadwell/

------------

And his regular rider commented:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad