Saskatoon Arena Preliminary Spec Revealed

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
You'd think the Blades are huge but their rather pitiful 4,972 average attendence in a 15,000+ building this season for the #1 team in the CHL isn't surprising. Saskatoon's avg attendence the last 5 seasons are including this season: 4972, 4506, 3390, 3605, 3911.

The only games they sold out last season in their playoff run to the semi-finals was vs Regina in the 1st round due to Bedard. Saskatoon is an event city...the citizens have no problem going to see Garth Brooks 5 nights straight w/15,000+ or IIHF World Juniors in a -30C New Year's Eve night Canada vs USA before a sellout. But try to get 6000+ to go watch the Blades on a weekday and it's "the arena is too far, it's a pain to get to" excuses come out.

It really is a pain in the ass when it is busy out there - there is really only one road out there from the city. Warman (12K) and Martensville (10K) to the north helps a bit for splitting traffic but it can be a nightmare to get in and out of there. I remember being stuck there for over an hour unable to move after a Metallica concert. At least for the juniors they had good busing and stuff set up.

I will agree with the sentiment that NHL seems far fetched. There is an ownership group interested and are doing things the 'right' way by following procedures and staying quiet but yea I don't see how they sell out 42 games a year.

I will say I think it would go better than most people would think and would not be the lowest revenue team in the league. But yea I don't see the team surviving a rebuild for example unless the owner was willing to bleed money. BHP did just drop $14 billion into a mine by Saskatoon but can't see them wanting to own a sports team.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
The idea of building what basically amounts to a NHL arena in a city without a NHL team and without any reasonable prospect of landing one seemed silly enough pre-pandemic, but given that inflation has probably pushed the cost of such a building to the half-billion dollar range it seems absolutely insane now.

The Blades and Rush don't need a bigger building, SaskPlace is perfectly fine for their needs. With the Canadian dollar and Canadian economy such as they are right now, there is no chance Sask is getting a NHL team. (Not saying that couldn't change, but right now the prospects are bleak.) So what is this arena being built for? Attracting a few more concerts and a vague attempt at downtown revitalization? Seems to me that there are far better ways to spend $400 million or so... why not land the team first and then worry about the arena. But then again, it's not my money, so have at 'er.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Man I remember when sask place was built
Man - I know! I got to play once at the Blades OLD arena before Sask Place was built as a kid. It was an old barn back in the 1980s though and needed to be replaced.

I remember how contentious getting Sask Place built was. City had gone through the "Blues to Saskatoon" thing a few years ago so I think ultimately Sask Place was deliberately designed to not fit NHL standards (although it was subsequently renovated).

Reactions: Frank Drebin

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Mix of a couple things. One is certain people want it located downtown so there isn't the it's too far north excuse(but it'd be even worse getting downtown and no clue what they'd do for parking). Another is to attract certain music/events that don't think the current arena is modern enough. The current rink is fine and good for another 10-15 years at least so it doesn't make sense to do it now. The only logical location to have it near downtown would be by the U of S with easy access to circle drive but unlikely the University would sell that land. Where they built Merlis Belsher would've been a good location

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Mix of a couple things. One is certain people want it located downtown so there isn't the it's too far north excuse(but it'd be even worse getting downtown and no clue what they'd do for parking). Another is to attract certain music/events that don't think the current arena is modern enough. The current rink is fine and good for another 10-15 years at least so it doesn't make sense to do it now. The only logical location to have it near downtown would be by the U of S with easy access to circle drive but unlikely the University would sell that land. Where they built Merlis Belsher would've been a good location

OK, so I haven't lived in Saskatoon for 30+ years, but from what I've heard more recently isn't downtown - pretty sketchy?

Somewhere by the U of S does make sense. Perhaps make a deal similar to Winnipeg for football - the new stadium was built at the U of M, but part of the deal was it became the new home for the Bisons.

Edit: ah, forget it. Googling says the Huskies play in a very new arena, finished in 2018.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
OK, so I haven't lived in Saskatoon for 30+ years, but from what I've heard more recently isn't downtown - pretty sketchy?

Somewhere by the U of S does make sense. Perhaps make a deal similar to Winnipeg for football - the new stadium was built at the U of M, but part of the deal was it became the new home for the Bisons.

Edit: ah, forget it. Googling says the Huskies play in a very new arena, finished in 2018.
Yeah Merlis Belsher is a brand new arena where the U of S plays out of, also the Saskatoon Contacts Midget AAA and quite a few Bantam AA games.

Where the supposed plan to build it is right on the edge of where the hood starts. It's still not a overly sketchy spot(St Pauls hospital/pleasant hill is the ground zero for sketchy) but by the Midtown mall area also isn't the most safe area at night. Outside of alphabet soup Saskatoon is a fairly safe city overall though.

North of the U of S along the river would be the ideal spot if they could get the land. Easy access to circle drive and nice location to overlook the river. By Preston crossing/Rail Bridge

Last edited:

RR44

Jan 29, 2024
It really is a pain in the ass when it is busy out there - there is really only one road out there from the city. Warman (12K) and Martensville (10K) to the north helps a bit for splitting traffic but it can be a nightmare to get in and out of there. I remember being stuck there for over an hour unable to move after a Metallica concert. At least for the juniors they had good busing and stuff set up.

I will agree with the sentiment that NHL seems far fetched. There is an ownership group interested and are doing things the 'right' way by following procedures and staying quiet but yea I don't see how they sell out 42 games a year.

I will say I think it would go better than most people would think and would not be the lowest revenue team in the league. But yea I don't see the team surviving a rebuild for example unless the owner was willing to bleed money. BHP did just drop $14 billion into a mine by Saskatoon but can't see them wanting to own a sports team.
That's my complaint, the traffic out there on a Tuesday night home game with 4500 is no where near as it is during a WLC or Metallica yet people give that excuse over and over re: Blades games yet will sit for an hour in traffic for events.

BTW...if it's the Metallica show about 20 years ago, that was a helluva concert!

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I remember how contentious getting Sask Place built was. City had gone through the "Blues to Saskatoon" thing a few years ago so I think ultimately Sask Place was deliberately designed to not fit NHL standards (although it was subsequently renovated).
It's a NHL arena according to the standards of its time in the mid to late 80s. It's practically identical in scale to Canada Life Centre. The only difference is that they left some of the seating bowl unfinished and just added seats over time, basically to coincide with WJHCs as I recall. There are only a couple of small gaps left in the bowl.

Ultimately this comes down to one question: is Saskatoon getting a NHL team? If the answer to that question is no, then why spend NHL arena money on building a NHL arena?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It's a NHL arena according to the standards of its time in the mid to late 80s. It's practically identical in scale to Canada Life Centre. The only difference is that they left some of the seating bowl unfinished and just added seats over time, basically to coincide with WJHCs as I recall. There are only a couple of small gaps left in the bowl.

Ultimately this comes down to one question: is Saskatoon getting a NHL team? If the answer to that question is no, then why spend NHL arena money on building a NHL arena?
yeah it doesn't make sense atm. Sure Sasktel Centre is aging but it will be more than fine for another 10+ years for what they need it for.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
That's my complaint, the traffic out there on a Tuesday night home game with 4500 is no where near as it is during a WLC or Metallica yet people give that excuse over and over re: Blades games yet will sit for an hour in traffic for events.

BTW...if it's the Metallica show about 20 years ago, that was a helluva concert!

Yup I was there! Was 16 at the time and was right up on the stage. James shook my hand and gave me a guitar pic! :laugh:
The idea of building what basically amounts to a NHL arena in a city without a NHL team and without any reasonable prospect of landing one seemed silly enough pre-pandemic, but given that inflation has probably pushed the cost of such a building to the half-billion dollar range it seems absolutely insane now.

The Blades and Rush don't need a bigger building, SaskPlace is perfectly fine for their needs. With the Canadian dollar and Canadian economy such as they are right now, there is no chance Sask is getting a NHL team. (Not saying that couldn't change, but right now the prospects are bleak.) So what is this arena being built for? Attracting a few more concerts and a vague attempt at downtown revitalization? Seems to me that there are far better ways to spend $400 million or so... why not land the team first and then worry about the arena. But then again, it's not my money, so have at 'er.

SaskTel Center (they did eventually sell the naming rights) needs a lot of renovations is the excuse for a new arena.

I think arenas are poor public investments though - maybe if it brought in an NHL team (because of all of the other dollars spent around that) would make it worth it. But yea its a poor investment in my opinion in terms of dollars and cents.

Reactions: RR44

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
SaskTel Center (they did eventually sell the naming rights) needs a lot of renovations is the excuse for a new arena.

What are the renovations it needs? And how could the tab possibly be so high that a new building would be justified? I've been in there and it's still a fairly modern building, obviously not the latest and greatest but what is there that can't be fixed?

I know when Winnipeg replaced its arena and stadium they were clearly products of a different era, they were built in the 50s but for all intents and purposes they were designs from the 30s/40s. The old arena basically had the Maple Leaf Gardens seating plan. They were badly run down. I was in SaskPlace a couple years ago and it didn't look remotely as bad as our old buildings were. Just needed some updates here and there. I mean, here in Winnipeg TNSE has spent nearly as much on upgrades to Canada Life Centre in the last 13 years as they did on building it in the first place. Upgrades and renovations come with the territory.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
What are the renovations it needs? And how could the tab possibly be so high that a new building would be justified? I've been in there and it's still a fairly modern building, obviously not the latest and greatest but what is there that can't be fixed?

I know when Winnipeg replaced its arena and stadium they were clearly products of a different era, they were built in the 50s but for all intents and purposes they were designs from the 30s/40s. The old arena basically had the Maple Leaf Gardens seating plan. They were badly run down. I was in SaskPlace a couple years ago and it didn't look remotely as bad as our old buildings were. Just needed some updates here and there. I mean, here in Winnipeg TNSE has spent nearly as much on upgrades to Canada Life Centre in the last 13 years as they did on building it in the first place. Upgrades and renovations come with the territory.

A consultant for the city estimated it would cost $101 million to renovate SaskTel Centre - but yea I personally am skeptical that is true.

Reactions: jetsmooseice

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
A consultant for the city estimated it would cost $101 million to renovate SaskTel Centre - but yea I personally am skeptical that is true.

That letter is bang on. Maybe 10 years ago you'd get a decent arena for $178 million, but not anymore. Anything that would be roughly on par with SaskTel Centre would cost at least double that. I mean, Canada Life Centre was built 20 years ago for that kind of money ($144 million so less, but still in the same ballpark), and it was by no means opulent.

At this point $100 million on improving SaskTel Centre and getting another 25+ years out of it seems like a much more prudent course.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
That letter is bang on. Maybe 10 years ago you'd get a decent arena for $178 million, but not anymore. Anything that would be roughly on par with SaskTel Centre would cost at least double that. I mean, Canada Life Centre was built 20 years ago for that kind of money ($144 million so less, but still in the same ballpark), and it was by no means opulent.

At this point $100 million on improving SaskTel Centre and getting another 25+ years out of it seems like a much more prudent course.

I agree but I'm sure strings are being pulled behind the scenes as usual with big public projects like this and there isn't a ton of accountability either. The current mayor already said he isn't running again and the city councilor seats usually aren't particularly competitive races.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I guess my point is why not build a one bowl setup?

I'm thinking the municipality/province has made "Make this building suitable for an NHL relocation" as part of the requirement for receiving funding.

That exact thing happened in Winnipeg when Chipman wanted to build a minor league building for the Moose. They were perfectly happy building an AHL rink, but the City/Province stepped in to make it an NHL-calibre building.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I guess my point is why not build a one bowl setup?

I'm thinking the municipality/province has made "Make this building suitable for an NHL relocation" as part of the requirement for receiving funding.

That exact thing happened in Winnipeg when Chipman wanted to build a minor league building for the Moose. They were perfectly happy building an AHL rink, but the City/Province stepped in to make it an NHL-calibre building.
Speaking of Chipman, the next time he's harassing our business community for not buying enough season tickets, just watch him casually mention, "Ya know, Saskatoon could be building an NHL sized arena soon. Not sayin', just sayin'... " :nod:

• Haha

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Speaking of Chipman, the next time he's harassing our business community for not buying enough season tickets, just watch him casually mention, "Ya know, Saskatoon could be building an NHL sized arena soon. Not sayin', just sayin'... " :nod:
Resisting. Urge. To. Derail. Thread...

200w.gif

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016

Sasktel center has aged better then the saddledome, rexall and other similar arena's of the same vintage, and it's the youngest, before the early 90's transition. It still looks "good" and it's aged very gracefully as the schedule isn't as demanding as calgary etc..

The concourse is small, there's only one elevator, roof is too low for modern acts, and other things.

It's good to build for the future, downtown location connected to the mall is good. Plan sounds good/right size, easy sellouts when the Rush are good, or World Juniors are in town, nhl exhibition. Curling/Brier can also draw 10K plus.

It still get's good concerts, Nickelback, Shania, Garth Brooks etc.., but it's just not up to todays standards for roof capacity and height etc..

A less fancy Edmonton design would be perfect. With room to grow.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
"Saskatchewan's Got the Blues!" vibes. Might still have my cap somewhere in the attic.

All this NHL expansion talk is making some people lose perspective. I love my Saskatchewan peeps, but it's not happening.

(No snarky comments, please. That's not me.)

1707007999764.png

Reactions: Lions67

BMN

Jun 2, 2021
"Seems to me like all of you are only willing to open your pockets for, uhh, about 2/3rds of our games.....we might need to think of a different place to put that gap of...uh, somewhere around 15 of those games...."

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
"Seems to me like all of you are only willing to open your pockets for, uhh, about 2/3rds of our games.....we might need to think of a different place to put that gap of...uh, somewhere around 15 of those games...."

The Coyotes wanted to try that, didn't get too far, haha

• Haha

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
3D VR renderings just came out and further spec brochure. Basically it's nearly identical/specs in setup to Las Vegas. Looks nice, very much Edmonton like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad