Confirmed with Link: Saros and Aberg recalled; Fiala and Mazanec assigned to Milwaukee

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Remember that time this summer I said trusting in Fiala to be a top six forward was a bad idea and people ridiculed me? I told you all he wasn't ready.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I wondered the other day based on how Aberg was playing if he would get a shot...looks like he will.
The Saros call up is interesting...does that mean the writing is on the wall for Maz in this organization?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
it could be to just get mazanec a couple starts since we don't have any back to backs.... or it could be us deciding he sucks... don't know which yet.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Remember that time this summer I said trusting in Fiala to be a top six forward was a bad idea and people ridiculed me? I told you all he wasn't ready.

My question is- why is he being sent down? Unless there is something behind the scenes that we don't know about, I don't get it........

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
it could be to just get mazanec a couple starts since we don't have any back to backs.... or it could be us deciding he sucks... don't know which yet.

True, but including today the Ads just have 2 games over the next 7 days. Something to watch either way.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Didn't really see that coming. I thought Fiala had actually played pretty well, although without a lot of results.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I wish kamenev was the one being called up.

He's a center and Aberg has been Milwaukee's best forward.

I agree with Steve...I'd guess this is just to get Mazanec some playing time, but at the same time, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so at the expense of Saros...so maybe it's to get Saros some practice time at the NHL level

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
On the other side, good for Aberg. This is his chance to see if he can stick. If not, I'm not sure if he's considered anything more than AHL depth.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
He's a center and Aberg has been Milwaukee's best forward.

I agree with Steve...I'd guess this is just to get Mazanec some playing time, but at the same time, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do so at the expense of Saros...so maybe it's to get Saros some practice time at the NHL level

if one is a true cynic, you might look at the recall of saros, with us having zero back to backs this entire month and MIL with only two games this week, as a potential vote of no confidence in not only mazanec, but rinne as well...

not saying that's the case, but it could be viewed that way.

to me it's one of three possibilities;
1)we are losing faith in Rinne and want to see if Saros can help
2)we have just accepted that Mazanec sucks and can't cut it as a backup in the NHL
3)that we just want to get Mazanec a couple starts to improve his game since we have no back to backs this entire month.

have no idea yet which of those it is.

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

How can you say this about Fiala currently when he hasn't been a problem, he has actually out scored (as in goals, not the freebee assist points) Forsberg and Johansen. I do not understand the Fiala send down, but I am happy that Poile and Lavy are doing something about the under-performance. Personally I think they should have sent Forsberg down for a conditioning stint to try to wake him up.

Kebs

Def not just a zombie tiger typing
Aug 21, 2009
Nashville, TN
How can you say this about Fiala currently when he hasn't been a problem, he has actually out scored (as in goals, not the freebee assist points) Forsberg and Johansen. I do not understand the Fiala send down, but I am happy that Poile and Lavy are doing something about the under-performance. Personally I think they should have sent Forsberg down for a conditioning stint to try to wake him up.

I don't get this, I must be missing some thing. Forsberg is leading the team in points right now, and people think he needs to be woken up. His game right now is focused on setting up plays, and PK. He always has a slow spot and then starts to score, it will come. Now come January if he still hasn't produced then there is an issue.

Fiala was given top line minutes, and didn't produce. He had two goals. He needs half a season in the AHL to ripen, or bottom minutes. The issue is the bottom six hasn't been the issue.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

[MOD]

Heres another concern..... Sarro's is not ready for what is getting ready to happen to him either. So will they take the offseason mistakes and learn from it or do they want to crush Sarro's as well???????

As fragile as Fiala's ego is one can see that he may be done here. The answer to that will be how he reacts in Milwaukee. If he sulks goes back to being a brat on the ice he will not make it back to Nashville in a Preds sweater. And for those whop for the last 18 months have been saying never ever trade Fiala well his stock took a hit this morning as well. Could everything work out sure it could but One of Sarro's or Faila is gonna bust perhaps both.

Last edited by a moderator:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Exactly what rule allows a team to send a player down without exposing them to waivers if they have not missed a number of games due to injury. Which is not the case for Forsberg. He will turn around it may not be this season. There are very very few players who come into the league on fire and back it up every year. Those are Elite players and FF9 is not there. Just as Johnny Hockey is not there. This is the perception problem with MOST Pred fans. A very good player is put on a pedestal as being elite and average players are considered very good (Smith, Wilson). And tweeners are considered average(Jarnkrok). When the balance in the team gets off and all under perform you have a streak like they are having now. It happened to Colorado after Roy's initial season to the Ducks last year. This team has a good core but the depth is failing them. Fiala is not a top 6 forward now he was not last summer. It was a major failing I pointed out along with the goalie situation and the center positions. Riberio has played well however so he is not the weak link I had envisioned. Fish and Johanson are off to a terrible start along with Neal. Pekka is unstable and has played better than expected but this will not last. And swapping Weber or Subban did not do this. Poile did this when he did not complete the offseason.

Things will improve but now instead of being a bubble playoff team like last year they may well miss. Sending Falia and Maz down is a feeble attempt to shake the roster players up. If this does not work next Lavi loses the room. Something that has never happened in Nashville, but do not kid yourself its gonna happen here at some point. Unless the team moves and there is no danger of that now.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Exactly what rule allows a team to send a player down without exposing them to waivers if they have not missed a number of games due to injury. Which is not the case for Forsberg. He will turn around it may not be this season. There are very very few players who come into the league on fire and back it up every year. Those are Elite players and FF9 is not there. Just as Johnny Hockey is not there. This is the perception problem with MOST Pred fans. A very good player is put on a pedestal as being elite and average players are considered very good (Smith, Wilson). And tweeners are considered average(Jarnkrok). When the balance in the team gets off and all under perform you have a streak like they are having now. It happened to Colorado after Roy's initial season to the Ducks last year. This team has a good core but the depth is failing them. Fiala is not a top 6 forward now he was not last summer. It was a major failing I pointed out along with the goalie situation and the center positions. Riberio has played well however so he is not the weak link I had envisioned. Fish and Johanson are off to a terrible start along with Neal. Pekka is unstable and has played better than expected but this will not last. And swapping Weber or Subban did not do this. Poile did this when he did not complete the offseason.

Things will improve but now instead of being a bubble playoff team like last year they may well miss. Sending Falia and Maz down is a feeble attempt to shake the roster players up. If this does not work next Lavi loses the room. Something that has never happened in Nashville, but do not kid yourself its gonna happen here at some point. Unless the team moves and there is no danger of that now.

As I said a conditioning stint. The team has used this numerous times. In the last lockout shortened season, they sent Smith and Halischuk down using this.

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
As I said a conditioning stint. The team has used this numerous times. In the last lockout shortened season, they sent Smith and Halischuk down using this.

And if you read the rule you will realize that it is intended for players not in the line-up on a consistant basis. Thus the "If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club," Forsberg in no way qualifies for this protection. Smith was sent down but had been in and out of the line-up and Halischuk was sent down after injury just like Nystrom and many others were sent down. This rule does not allow you to send a guy down just because they are playing ******. If that were the case Wilson would have spent most of last year in Milwaukee. Or how about David Clarkson they would have sure loved to send that guy down just to avoid paying him. There must be a reasonable reason for a conditioning assignment. There is not one here.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Lavy has said today he wants Maz to get some game action and he wants Fiala to get more development in.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Lavy has said today he wants Maz to get some game action and he wants Fiala to get more development in.

which makes some sense. you knew when fiala was scratched 3 games ago this might happen, whether you blame his slow start on the team's troubles or not. and if mazanec is going to ever be a passable backup he sure needs some playing time to get sharper.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I don't strictly look at score sheets when judging a player's effectiveness. Fiala has been very average offensively and is still not great away from the puck. He needed more time and it was a mistake to not bring in someone like Pirri on a cheap contract as a more experienced option with a good goal scoring record.

Fiala needs time. He has the talent but just isn't there yet, from my perspective. His he the reason we are losing games? Heck no, but this move is better for him in the long run.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't strictly look at score sheets when judging a player's effectiveness. Fiala has been very average offensively and is still not great away from the puck. He needed more time and it was a mistake to not bring in someone like Pirri on a cheap contract as a more experienced option with a good goal scoring record.

Fiala needs time. He has the talent but just isn't there yet, from my perspective. His he the reason we are losing games? Heck no, but this move is better for him in the long run.
Assuming, as always with him, that mentally he's able to work through these setbacks and realize his potential.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Poile was on 102.5 today and was asked about this, basically echoed what Lavy said.

Fiala -- still has some work to do (what happened to by far best forward in camp?), with issues team has had, they didn't want him to have to worry about that while the team was figuring out its own items.

Saros -- Want to get Maz some work, want to get Saros some time in Nashville, but did say that the backup job is still up in the air...they are going to go with the guy that gives them the best chance to win while giving Pekka a break. Reading between the lines, it sounds like they're not as sold on Maz as they thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad