Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Seca's comments on the picks tonight

“Jonathan is a player who had a great season with both Don Mills U18 and the Cobourg Cougar, he also was a teammate of current Sting forward Carter Kostuch as a member of the 2022-23 Vaughn Kings. He is a skilled defender who moves well, reads the ice and someone we believe is ready to make the jump.”

"Our Ottawa area scouts were very intrigued by Mark this season and see significant upside in his game. He is a late blooming, big kid that the puck seems to find. We are excited to bring Mark to Sarnia”

“Roen was a leader on his Jr. Sting team this season who put up great numbers with his skill at the centre position. We are always excited when local talent joins the organization and look forward to working with Roen”.

Sounds pretty excited, especially for the first two picks. Certainly seems like they think Kapageridis will push for a spot. Gonna be a lot of decisions to make back there. Seems happy about Besedin too. See if he can make some noise come camp. Goalie spots are definitely up for grabs.

Last edited:
Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The battle on defence come camp is gonna be intense. Should have four "locks" in Fischer, Barr, Hurt, Young then you have 2 spots for Bridgewater, Omeri, O'Toole, Andersen, Kapageridis, Schnieder. Not to mention if they do indeed add an OA D.

Will be fun to watch & hopefully some of the guys can take a spot & run with it. I really like how Seca makes it a point to have depth on defence.

Like I said G will be wide open for Chartier, Maillet, Besedin, Gillis & if they add one via trade or import draft.

F will have battles to with there being 4or5 spots for Denney, Gaughan, Simpson, Sim, Hall, Lominac, Luecke & potentially a 2nd import if they go that route.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
At this point we need a clear #1 D whether it be by OA or import we also need a Import top 6 player.

I'm good with Surzycia if no OA D available.
I think DS moves some guys in off season like omeri and doherty moses

Reactions: TonyB

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
“An offensive-minded D-man. Moves pretty well, competitive, reminds us a little bit of Mitch Young. Still raw and developing. Had a pretty good U18 season with Don Mills, but then he was called up to Cobourg Cougars . . . and then through the playoffs, he was outstanding. I watched him personally a few times and, to be honest with you, we were shocked how good he looked and how ready he would be.”

“We had some pretty good reports on him last year and through Carter,” Seca said. “Then, watching him play live with the junior A team as an affiliate sealed the deal. We think he’s going to be ready to play. That’s going to be up to him. We’re going to give him a good chance to make our hockey club.”

More from Seca on Kapageridis. Love the sounds of him. Have heard from non Sarnia people too he was the guy to get in this draft. Adds another good upside kid to the 2007 class.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
looking good for next season regardless as most teams in Division loose 6-8 players key players each team.
I'm sure big difference on how team shapes up after camp.
biggest question mark is the OAs (need quality not like this past seasons OAs huge D OA to steady and chill young and fischer so there is someone else to take their minutes so it becomes a hunger back there to play the game right or lose privileges on special teams.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Here's a little video with Kapageridis. Looks like a really fun player. Can see why they see some Mitch Young to him. Love the pick. '07 class looks so strong with Brown, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, Luecke, Andersen, Sim & now Kapageridis. Let alone if they can convince Kosiba or Quinlan to come or if one of their later picks pan out.

Love the potential of our defense in the transition, puck moving part of the game. Could be a really productive backend.

Last edited:

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
We've only had Vilmanis here since the trade deadline but what an exciting player he is to watch. His compete level is thru the roof. Always wants the puck and has sick moves. I'm going to say he's better than Petrov (and Petrov was pretty darn good).

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Funny how fast things can change. Year ago I wasn't sure if I even wanted to return for this season. Now with round 2 not even over yet I just wanna get back to the rink & see what type of strides this group can take.

Have some hopeful, but cautious expectations for the next couple seasons. Would be nice to actually get to enjoy multiple seasons in a row for once.

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Next year will be a pleasant surprise, I'm excited to see wainwright and doucette's speed together and throw in new 1st round draft this year and have kostuch and brown on a line with Filak will be so exciting.

There will be some off season changes few guys are odd man out at moment and with Import draft

DS will make this team electric again this year with a top end team in 25. And beyond seeing it setting up well now.

Fans will be rewarded for this past years short comings be ready.

Playoffs here we come '24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino