WC: Sarcastic Hockey Anthem for Team Slovakia by Jaromír Nohavica

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
A couple of months ago, the Czech singer-and-songwriter legend Jaromír Nohavica, who is from Ostrava, wrote a song (his first-ever in Slovak) dedicated to the Slovak national ice-hockey team, titled "The Sad Hockey Player Song", sarcastic but well-meant, that turned out to be prophetic in an almost frightening way. Nohavica gave a free-of-charge private concert to the Slovak team in Ostrava following their loss to Norway, of all games (the concert had been prearranged weeks earlier), in which Slovakia team captain Kopecký was dropped from the first line and was announced to be a healthy scratch for the following game. It made me almost physically ill to think that Kopecký had to sit there in the audience and listen to that song. :cry: Well, no harm done, I hope. I love the song – it captures the Slovak fans' mentality very well, their willingness to crucify players who underperform on the national team. Reportedly, Nohavica consulted the lyrics with Slovakia's team coach Vůjtek, who is also from the Ostrava neighbourhood. Nohavica's Slovak lyrics and delivery are flawless, apart from a single Czech word that he inserted to get the rhyme he needed.

I have now translated Nohavica's lyrics into English. Criticism/suggestions for improving the translation are welcome. The original Slovak lyrics can be found here. Below the translation, there's the studio version of the song from YouTube, and at the bottom of the post, a live version of the song performed by Nohavica in Bratislava back in March, with audience reactions to the lyrics.

The Sad Hockey Player Song
by Jaromír Nohavica

I used to shine, now I'm just glittering
Second match, and the puck won't go in
Second match, my ammunition has been blank
Against Russia, and against Finland

I'm losing all battles, one on one
My coach's been asking, "What's it all about?"
I'm shaking my head like a camel
Must be that damn Ostrava

I'm useless here
A disgrace for my land
Just kill me!
Let the Danube flush my skates away

I'm useless here
Why did they even nominate me?
I'm the one to blame
Without me, they would've played so great

Third match, and the puck won't go in
I used to play on the top line
Now I'm no more than a healthy scratch

The helmet's falling down my brow
This isn't going to please my Mom
That's not how she imagined it would end
When she taught the five-year-old how to skate

I'm useless here
A disgrace for my land
Just kill me!
Let the Danube flush my skates away

I'm useless here
Why did they even nominate me?
I'm the one to blame
Without me, they would've played so great

Fourth match, and the puck won't go in
No longer defending the neutral zone
I betrayed my country and my home

I'm doing my best, but it's not easy
Can't wait until the summer is here
When all the ice-rinks melt away
And this song plays on the TV set

He was useless here
He caused nothing but disgrace
Now they killed him!
And the Danube flushed his skates away

He was useless here
Why did they even nominate him?
He was the one to blame
Without him, they would've played so great

Without him, they would've played so great
Without him, they would've gone all the way
Without him, the Cup would be theirs

It's good for him to be buried and dead!

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Is it basically blaming kopecky? Bit harash

Can't be blaming anyone specifically, because the song was written back in March or so. The live performance in the second YouTube video is from Bratislava in March 2015. (No one could have predicted at that point that Kopecký would even be nominated for the Worlds, let alone play on the first line, etc.) Nohavica was asked about Kopecký after the private concert a few days ago and he said he regretted it now sounds as if the song was about him. ;)

The lyrics don't translate very well into English, at all.

If so, I as the translator am to blame for that. :help: Please feel free to say specifically which lines seem particularly wrong. If all of them sound wrong... well, nothing can be done about it, then, I guess. :cry:

Karlsson2Turris*

What happened to Slovakia hockey? They used to be a perennial top 8 team that could keep pace with the top 5 (like the Czech). Now they're nearing Latvia level...

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
The player-base brought up under the Communist regime finally got exhausted. Seems a lot fewer kids are playing hockey (or any sport) today compared to previous times, given the PC/handheld distractions. Slovakia also lacks the financial resources the Czechs have. There are some encouraging signs, such as the U20 team winning WJH bronze this season, but we'll probably never again experience the early 2000s "golden era". (However, there were pessimistic voices predicting just this in the late 1990s, and look what happened a few years later.)

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
If so, I as the translator am to blame for that. :help: Please feel free to say specifically which lines seem particularly wrong. If all of them sound wrong... well, nothing can be done about it, then, I guess. :cry:

I doubt he was criticizing the translation itself; rather more likely he was simply saying the poetic element is lost in translation. Still funny, though.

Could apply to a lot of guys on the Canucks this last very brief playoffs.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
That's possible. People at the concert (see the second YouTube video) were roaring with laughter practically after every line. It's pretty clear to any Slovak/Czech listening to the song that Nohavica is just kidding, the lyrics are tongue-in-cheek and part of the Czech-Slovak hockey rivalry. Whereas they may sound pretty brutal/raw when you just skim through them in English.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
yeah when translated into english it's pretty brutal. Like literally no cohesion or flow whatsoever. Sounds like a poem from someone who is ready to jump off a cliff or something. Very depressing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad