Injury Report: Santorelli has shoulder surgery; will miss remainder of season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Sucks for him.

Better this way as this team isn't good enough anyway.

Gillis won't do any major deals and this team will continue to tank.

Shine up those golf clubs.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
The disaster season continues, hate to be pessimistic but at this point I would be happy with the team being massive sellers at the trade deadline. Maybe miss the playoffs and get a top 10 pick?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Ugh. Now I'd only be interested in giving him a 1 year extension. I wanted to see if he could play well for a full season + playoffs before considering giving him a multi-year contract.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
The disaster season continues, hate to be pessimistic but at this point I would be happy with the team being massive sellers at the trade deadline. Maybe miss the playoffs and get a top 10 pick?

I'd rather squeak in and see if this team can upset someone on one leg.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Ugh. Now I'd only be interested in giving him a 1 year extension. I wanted to see if he could play well for a full season + playoffs before considering giving him a multi-year contract.

agreed, wouldn't give him a multi year contract.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'd be willing to up his current salary because the guy damn well earned it, but I wouldn't go above 1.5M, and it would be for one year. Love ya, Santo, but Booth has soured us all on taking that gamble again.

That being said, if we could get him for 1-1.5M, then re-sign him the following year. Well, it does offer much more flexibility. Silver lining.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I'd rather squeak in and see if this team can upset someone on one leg.

For what exactly? Some sort of short term pride? The near future is looking bleak, lots of players getting paid big money and producing like Journeymen. Dump some of the redundancies, get whatever assets that you can and continue to strengthen the prospect pool to support guys like Kassian, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Gaunce etc. For when they become the core. Heck, even just cutting some of the dead weight would be beneficial for competing next year.

EDIT: Anyways, I realize that stuff is more for the armchair GM thread. I really liked Santo this year, and hope the Canucks can re-sign him next year. Terrific value player.

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van

That's not pessimism to me.

I'd rather the Canucks were dominant and awesome, but as a fan I would rather they be terrible than mediocre, for the draft pick of course.

It's still a pretty enjoyable game to watch, for itself, and if you don't get all emotionally ruined by losses (easier said than done.....)

As for Santo, yes, silver lining. Terrific utility forward with work ethic and a dab of scoring, like Higgins - can play on any line.

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
For what exactly? Some sort of short term pride? The near future is looking bleak, lots of players getting paid big money and producing like Journeymen. Dump some of the redundancies, get whatever assets that you can and continue to strengthen the prospect pool to support guys like Kassian, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Gaunce etc. For when they become the core. Heck, even just cutting some of the dead weight would be beneficial for competing next year.

EDIT: Anyways, I realize that stuff is more for the armchair GM thread. I really liked Santo this year, and hope the Canucks can re-sign him next year. Terrific value player.

I simply don't believe in hoping for a top ten pick(unless we're already cellar dwellers), I would rather believe that every team in the playoffs has a shot at winning in spite of everyone thinking they don't have a chance.

Besides, top 10 pick doesn't mean **** especially in a weak draft, top 5 would be interesting but I wouldn't want to watch my team lose that many games.

Playoff's > Top 10 pick

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
All it cost Martin Hanzal to injure three Canucks was $5k, with the bonus of Santorelli's injury tearing up his shoulder. Good value for money.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Terrible, but there is a fairly significant silver lining to all of this. It allows the Canucks to remain in a "wait and see" state with Santorelli before giving him a contract. Personally I love the way he plays the game, I am just questionable where he fits on this team long term, and I would have been hesitant to give him money and term mid-season here before we see where the chips lay. With Henrik, Kesler, Horvat, Schroeder, Gaunce, Richardson and Fox. This team has no shortage of potential NHL centers as soon as next season, and I don't really see where Santorelli fits looking long term.

The way I see it we got

X-Sedin-X
X-Kesler-X
X-Horvat/Gaunce/Schroeder/Fox/Santorelli-X
X-Richardson-X

Unless we play Kesler on the wing we already have a very competitive pool playing for that 3C spot, and even then its not a huge stretch to think that 2 of the "kids" could be ready for regular duty as soon as next year.

Now that doesn't mean that we can't keep Santorelli as a winger, which I would definitely be interested in depending on his cost. But with players like Higgins, Hansen or Burrows already locked in it seems redundant to keep all 4 of them playing a similar role when rather we should be aspiring to give more time to someone with higher offensive potential.

So the Silver Lining with the injury is we get more time now to make a decision, or at least less pressure to make a decision soon, while we may not get the information out of the prospects we will need to make a definitive choice moving forward, the presence of competition suggests that at least someone should be able to fill that role, and maybe a player like Higgins, Hansen or Burrows will prove to be expendable in favor of Santorelli in the coming months.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
terrible news he was one of gillis's bargain signing this year. hope he recovers and gets another shot with the nucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad