Confirmed with Link: Sandin to Washington for Erik Gustafsson and 1st (BOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Niemela is RHD.

Interesting to see what the Leafs do with Gus in the off-season. Re-signed or lost to UFA?

We won't know the outcome of this trade until we see what happens with Gus and what the Leafs do with the 1st rounder from Boston. If they actually do use it to pick or move down to get more picks, it will take even longer to know the outcome of this trade.

As it stands, looking at the carousel of D as it is (including Timmins not having seen the ice in a month now), no doubt in my mind Sandin would hardly be drawing in these final games, and even less likely to play in the Playoffs. I'm sure that would have gone over with him like a lead balloon.

I wish him well, but as long as Keefe is the Coach, Sandin would not have gotten the opportunity he is currently getting Washington. If feels like we are already watching Keefe ruining Liljegren's development as well since the TDL.

Gus I think looks for the biggest pay day he can get - which should be in free agency with another team.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah but do you actually want him around next year? An offensive Dman that has only produced any meaningful offensive in 1 NHL season, since that he has been a journeyman bouncing from one basement dwelling team to another.
He’s having his best year, and you can do worse for your #7/8, a role he might accept on a strong team. Perhaps more readily than RS might have.

With Gio at 41, might not be a bad guy to keep around.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
From Capitals GDT thread last night :laugh:

Screenshot (700).png

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Today Sandin reported he was home because of mother's cancer treatment and did not wish to travel back and forth for signing deal.
What a frigging team, allowing the press and fans to think Sandin was a hold out.
Like AM injury, like Samsanov baby bs.

Ummmmmm that’s not what happened? You think they can’t fax things? Send people to him? His agent couldn’t go?

He came out himself after 2 players got injured in pre season and said he signed that day because of that….. I think the illness of a family member that keeps you from signing a peice of paper wouldn’t magically get better the day your teammate gets injured.

What is happening to his family is terrible. But do you honestly think if the team offered Matthews contract he wouldn’t have found a way to sign it?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'd have kept him for insurance.

It isn't like a 23 year old NHL defenseman is nearing end of career, but 40 year old NHL defenseman is.

Not sure why a 28th.-32nd. pick is that important in a year like this.

Obviously, Keefe didn't like him, so probably a good thing he's gone.
Though I do wonder what they're going to do with Liljegren when they re-sign Holl.

Probably to trade back and package with Murray?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Ummmmmm that’s not what happened? You think they can’t fax things? Send people to him? His agent couldn’t go?

He came out himself after 2 players got injured in pre season and said he signed that day because of that….. I think the illness of a family member that keeps you from signing a peice of paper wouldn’t magically get better the day your teammate gets injured.

What is happening to his family is terrible. But do you honestly think if the team offered Matthews contract he wouldn’t have found a way to sign it?
Not worth debating with you. What you think or what I think is not relevant.
Facts
Sandin now says mother very ill with cancer which delayed signing.
Dubas is silent.
Press ran with the holdout, Nylander clone theory.
Dubas allowed the story to live.

End of story.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not worth debating with you. What you think or what I think is not relevant.
Facts
Sandin now says mother very ill with cancer which delayed signing.
Dubas is silent.
Press ran with the holdout, Nylander clone theory.
Dubas allowed the story to live.

End of story.

Facts. Dubas doesn’t allow the press to say anything. He does not allow any story to live

You have NO idea if sandins camp even said anything about his mother

Sandin has a voice. Sandin can talk and play. His agent chose to provide an explanation in September which has nothing to do with the story he gave in march.

His agent can speak on his behalf any time he wants. It is not dubas job to advocate for a player

Reactions: Hotel Mario

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I find it funny Sandin is a complete player with no upside left, but Lil is still growing as a player, when they have virtually the same NHL experience and Sandin is a year younger. Never change with the tortured logic when it suits you.

Last edited:

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Facts. Dubas doesn’t allow the press to say anything. He does not allow any story to live

You have NO idea if sandins camp even said anything about his mother

Sandin has a voice. Sandin can talk and play. His agent chose to provide an explanation in September which has nothing to do with the story he gave in march.

His agent can speak on his behalf any time he wants. It is not dubas job to advocate for a player
Of course Dubas allows a story to live. All he has to do is speak and a press guy runs with the story.
So in my premise based on Sandin story this week, Dubas allowed misconception of events to continually be written about his asset.
In your stance Sandin is lying now with revisionist history and Dubas is a Saint without any influence on the stories the press writes.
Remember when Dubas speaks during the playoffs, after the playoff exit, when he is fired, when he resigns, when he makes a trade, a draft pick or allows a player to walk and then holds his press conference. It does not matter because the press will not report it. The 20 reporters that make a living begging for material are not influenced by what he says.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I find it funny Sandin is a complete player with no upside left, but Lil is still growing as a player, when they have virtually the same NHL experience and Sandin is a year younger. Never change with the tortured logic when it suits you.
Hahahaha is that what someone's claiming? LMAO. My ignore list makes this place more tolerable but it seems I do miss out on some "gems" from time to time, oh well.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
sandin is averaging 2 hits per game but cool story on how he doesn't fit in bro. This trade is an epic fail in the Kadri level.

That area Scar lives where Simba was told he's not allowed to go is equivalent to the land of D that drafted Gustafsson. Journey man D now in our lineup to get us over the first round hurdle. Comedy
My point was that they weren’t going to use him and that would degrade his value, and I do think McCabe/Schenn is a grit upgrade, but whatever you did to get Sandin to go have a scrap the next game just to make your point on the forum, I gotta admit that was pretty epic.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
So in my premise based on Sandin story this week, Dubas allowed misconception of events to continually be written about his asset.
False statements and misconceptions about this team and its players are spread by fans and sports media 24/7.
It's not a GM's job to play whack-a-mole with it. It's his job to negotiate the deal in private.
You keep saying that Dubas could have spread personal health information about Sandin's family without his permission, but so could Sandin or his representatives.
If something incorrect is being reported about Sandin, why is it on Dubas, and not Sandin or his agent, to correct things?
The truth is you're just looking for anything to arbitrarily blame Dubas about.
There's also really no evidence that anything reported was false. You're taking something Sandin said, and assuming that that was the entirety of the reason that the signing didn't happen, even though Sandin never said that, and even though that idea is illogical, since Sandin wasn't the one negotiating (his agent was), and Sandin didn't have to leave his mom to sign (he signed while in Sweden, conveniently right after injuries when the role/playtime he was reported to want opened up).

Reactions: Damisoph and Petrus

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Of course Dubas allows a story to live. All he has to do is speak and a press guy runs with the story.
In your stance Sandin is lying now with revisionist history and Dubas is a Saint without any influence on the stories the press writes.
Remember when Dubas speaks during the playoffs, after the playoff exit, when he is fired, when he resigns, when he makes a trade, a draft pick or allows a player to walk and then holds his press conference. It does not matter because the press will not report it. The 20 reporters that make a living begging for material are not influenced by what he says.

MLSE cannot disclose personal and private information without consent. It’s illegal under PIPEDA.

Even if it is MLSE wanted to clear the air with the Media, MLSE would have to obtain written consent from Sandin’s family to openly discuss the situation.

How is this even practical?

The person is gravely ill and the last thing the Family needs is to deal with rumour made up by the media in another country.

The best thing MLSE can do is allow the Sandin family all time they need to manage their situation privately. Family comes 1st and business 2nd.

Sandin can freely can discuss his personal challenges on his own time when he is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad