San Jose Sharks

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I think this is a great thread, reffree.

I don't have much to add at this point, but you do raise interesting thoughts.

I will say however that I think the coaching has had probably the biggest impact on the Sharks out of everything. Pete DeBoer was the number one reason I wasn't on the bandwagon of those who believed the Sharks were going to be a lottery team this season. He is excellent at his job.

I can`t recall where I had predicted the Sharks would be prior to the year starting, I "think" I had them just outside the playoffs, ironically, a pick for the B`s around the 14th/15th spot:amazed:

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
-Bishop is a Vezina nominee.
-Vasilevsky has allowed 8 goals on 115 shots since he got in (.930pct)
-Elliott has been awesome in these playoffs. Especially against Chicago.
-Murray has also been very good.

But yeah... The Sharks are the only team with a good goalie left...

:laugh:

San Jose is the only team with a good RW left.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sharks are only team left with beards that could house birds

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Vlasic
Burns
are all probably better than any Dman we employ
Martin
Braun
are all probably better than any Dman we employ except Chara.

It's funny what happens when you put good defensive players in front of a goalie

But I'm sure if the Sharks win the cup people will say Jones is better than Rask

Jones is playing very well. Deserves tons of credit. He is better than Rask right now.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Donskoi was drafted by SJ, not a FA signing like J-Kemp.

Donskoi was drafted by Florida, but the Panthers didn't sign him. The previous year they signed undrafted Melker Karlsson, so that's 2 VERY key VERY cheap forwards that they got without giving up a player or draft pick.

For next year, they've already signed 2015 SHL rookie of the year Marcus Sorensen (unsigned pick by Ottawa) and they are apparently going to sign Tim Heed (unsigned pick by Anaheim), both guys that I would expect to play in the NHL. Two more CHEAP additions without giving up any assets.

If your euro scouts are as good as the Sharks seem to be, this a is a great way to add assets.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
-Bishop is a Vezina nominee.
-Vasilevsky has allowed 8 goals on 115 shots since he got in (.930pct)
-Elliott has been awesome in these playoffs. Especially against Chicago.
-Murray has also been very good.

But yeah... The Sharks are the only team with a good goalie left...

Elliott and Murray are average goalies having good playoffs and Bishop is hurt the backup has been solid but is down in the series. I didn't say the other goalies sucked.

4 teams are left SJ is the biggest surprise but has the best goalie.

We have a good goalie that a lot of people want traded.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Donskoi was drafted by Florida, but the Panthers didn't sign him. The previous year they signed undrafted Melker Karlsson, so that's 2 VERY key VERY cheap forwards that they got without giving up a player or draft pick.

For next year, they've already signed 2015 SHL rookie of the year Marcus Sorensen (unsigned pick by Ottawa) and they are apparently going to sign Tim Heed (unsigned pick by Anaheim), both guys that I would expect to play in the NHL. Two more CHEAP additions without giving up any assets.

If your euro scouts are as good as the Sharks seem to be, this a is a great way to add assets.

None of these guys were really under the radar, so it's more on management taking chances on them and being able to attract them than scouting being extraordinary (Heed won SHL d-man of the year last year, which was impressive, though there were slightly more deserving players who were only slightly worse offensively but much superior offensively). All good pick-ups regardless. Not much risk, potentially huge reward. Boston is attracting a lot of college players which are very exciting as well based on what we hear from posters with more insight on those. :)

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
The Sharks blueline is so head and shoulders above ours it's kind of crazy to suggest we could stand a chance at morphing into that via free agency. Their best guys now with the exception of Martin are the age that our best guys were when we were good. Add 3-4 years of wear on the current Sharks D and that's us today. In Chara's case add 7.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love the Sharks but let's not crown their ass yet. The 2011 Bruins would have swept them. I love the story the gross beards and all but they are probably at best personnel wise 5th in West but I'd go 7th

They just are on a run and mixing up a winning cocktail of talent fun and belief

It's a team game and they got that part down

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The Sharks blueline is so head and shoulders above ours it's kind of crazy to suggest we could stand a chance at morphing into that via free agency. Their best guys now with the exception of Martin are the age that our best guys were when we were good. Add 3-4 years of wear on the current Sharks D and that's us today. In Chara's case add 7.

You miss the point. The Shark with that amazing defense didn't made the playoff last year and all rumors were about selling their top guy. They did a couple twitch and they are back at it. Bruins don't need to have the Shark defense, what I'm saying is with a couple of twitch they can, like the Sharks, return at it.

Alot of fan talk about last years Bruins as an abobination. Still, even with that bottom 3-5 defense they did finish with the 16th best reccord in the league, 14th best goal differential, 5th best offense. What could this team have done if we sign Paul Martin and not Matt Irwin last summer? Only one low profile change could have change alot. And here in this thread I'm even talking about TWO low profile change, imagine that :naughty:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
You miss the point. The Shark with that amazing defense didn't made the playoff last year and all rumors were about selling their top guy. They did a couple twitch and they are back at it. Bruins don't need to have the Shark defense, what I'm saying is with a couple of twitch they can, like the Sharks, return at it.

Alot of fan talk about last years Bruins as an abobination. Still, even with that bottom 3-5 defense they did finish with the 16th best reccord in the league, 14th best goal differential, 5th best offense. What could this team have done if we sign Paul Martin and not Matt Irwin last summer? Only one low profile change could have change alot. And here in this thread I'm even talking about TWO low profile change, imagine that :naughty:

Paul Martin has actually been a very important signing for them. He has been great for Burns allowing him to focus on his offense. Burns has been unable to play well when partnered with Vlasic, so last year that left him partnered with rotating cadre of not great players (Mueller, Dillon, Irwin).

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Paul Martin has actually been a very important signing for them. He has been great for Burns allowing him to focus on his offense. Burns has been unable to play well when partnered with Vlasic, so last year that left him partnered with rotating cadre of not great players (Mueller, Dillon, Irwin).

Yep, a "small" add who paid big dividend. We often hear we need a Byfuglien, Shatenkirk, Yandle. That would be great, but player with less pedigree could be add for alot less and still have a big impact on that team.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

No, you're missing my point. My point is even if you make the couple tweaks with us, we don't even have 2/3's of the Sharks base to build off on the back end. Our blueline is in total shambles, and I believe you'd have a hard time naming 5 teams in the whole NHL with a worse blueline than us. You can tweak that all you want, but it won't fix it. And there's a good chance that that "5" number moves to "3" this season. Btw it's Peter DeBoer that was the single biggest change for that team, and to a man Sharks fans recognize that. He's gotten the best out of his guys.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
No, you're missing my point. My point is even if you make the couple tweaks with us, we don't even have 2/3's of the Sharks base to build off on the back end. Our blueline is in total shambles, and I believe you'd have a hard time naming 5 teams in the whole NHL with a worse blueline than us. You can tweak that all you want, but it won't fix it. And there's a good chance that that "5" number moves to "3" this season. Btw it's Peter DeBoer that was the single biggest change for that team, and to a man Sharks fans recognize that. He's gotten the best out of his guys.

Again, you won't like it, but you miss the point.

I allready said we had a top 5 offenses with a top 10 goalies and a bottom 5 defence.
Like you saw last year, that combo was good enough to finish exactly in the middle of the pack.

I'm telling you adding two minute eater would bring our defense middle of the pack, not top a the league.

A defense like this:
Chara-Brodin
Martin-Krug
McQuaid- whoever
Isn't top of the league, it's an average middle of the pack D.

What I'm saying is: with a top 5 offense, a top 10 goalie and a middle of the pack defense, we are in the mixte.

This was good enough to be middle of the pack:
Chara-Krug
Miller-McQuaid
Seidenberg-whoever
Don't you see the massive improvement from defense #1 vs defense #2?

I've made a thread like this because we are NOT getting a #1 D anytime soon. We don't have one in the lineup outside Chara who's now more of a borderline #1 than a great one. We don't have anyonde with that kind of upside in the pipline and even if we had one (wich we don't) he would be 4-5 years away at least from having the impact of a #1. Finally, when is the last time a team traded a #1? Team keep those guys.

Summer 2010, that defense was nowhere close to be a top defense in the league:
Chara-Seidenberg
Ferrence-Boychuk
McQuaid-Stuart/Kempfer/Hunwick
But, it was good enough to win surrounding it with the rest of the team.

Edit: The chance we have right now is this imho:
What's is the easiest to improve?
The Bruins with their top offense and top goalies but awefull defense?
Or that middle of the pack team with a middle of the pack offense, a middle of the pack defense and a middle of the pack goalie?

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
What I'm saying is: with a top 5 offense, a top 10 goalie and a middle of the pack defense, we are in the mixte.

Sure.....but there's pretty much zero chance the Bs ice a top 5 offense next year, so the entire argument is flawed.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Since our draft pick is shot, why not the Sharks. Get Joe a ring. Anyone but Pittsburgh is fine by me

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Since our draft pick is shot, why not the Sharks. Get Joe a ring. Anyone but Pittsburgh is fine by me

Yes, Joe deserve it and it may silence the "we would have never won a Cup with Thornton in our lineup, so better give him for free to anyone" crowd.

Thornton faced too many critics here. Yes he was our star and had a tought time in our short playoff appearence, but everyone does. Krejci had a ruff time against Mtl in round 1 in 2011 before becoming a playoff hero. Bergeron had a ruff time against Tor for 6 games before becoming na playoff hero. Good team aren't build arround a single player, it's too easy to contain a single player for a few games.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Jones is playing very well. Deserves tons of credit. He is better than Rask right now.

A .918 save percentage both regular season and postseason.

He's an average goalie on a fairly good team. If the Bruins choose carefully with the 1st round pick we may be calling this trade a big win in a few years.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yes, Joe deserve it and it may silence the "we would have never won a Cup with Thornton in our lineup, so better give him for free to anyone" crowd.

Thornton faced too many critics here. Yes he was our star and had a tought time in our short playoff appearence, but everyone does. Krejci had a ruff time against Mtl in round 1 in 2011 before becoming a playoff hero. Bergeron had a ruff time against Tor for 6 games before becoming na playoff hero. Good team aren't build arround a single player, it's too easy to contain a single player for a few games.

I don't get the "Thornton deserves it" stuff? There aren't vets on the other teams still left that haven't won a Cup? My issue with this type of statement is that the Sharks have had a number of teams talented enough to win Cups in the past and Thornton and Marleau have choked it away. It's not like he's only had one kick at the can. This year it appears that Pavelski is not going to allow that to happen, or at least go down swinging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad