GDT: San Jose Sharks @ Red Wings - 8:00 EST - FSD

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Other than the goal did he do that much tonight? Missed the first two periods.

And does that override the rest of his season where he really hasn't been anything special?
Yup exactly. Daley wasn't a perticularly bad signing. He didn't make us worse. He just doesn't bring any special improvement. We're still the same mid level lottery team.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Other than the goal did he do that much tonight? Missed the first two periods.

And does that override the rest of his season where he really hasn't been anything special?

He was steady and reliable. And for this season, you are underestimating how much he has helped with elevating Ericsson's game. He's not a flashy goal scorer/point producer, but he's been a good addition to help stabilize the blue-line. I like the signing. Not everyone can be Drew Doughty or Eric Karlsson.

Jensen also had a slick game. He was skating really well and getting shots through. Larkin, AA and Mantha frustrate me way too often.

Mrazek has been fun to watch. Glad he's turning it around. Hopefully scouts are taking notice and is increasing his trade value. BTW, 25 scouts were at this game Ken Daniels said.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
It's been rumored the Rangers are gonna blow the team up. Even McDonagh and Zuccarello aren't safe? Do we take a crack at McDonagh?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
BTW, 25 scouts were at this game Ken Daniels said.
Could you please share this link? It's the most interesting I've heard all night. The Sharks are not selling rn
We shouldnt
Yea no. I like R McD a lot, but why would we ever entertain a trade for him at this juncture. That's the opposite of what we want.

Fine player - but not for our rebuild

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
they probably have lot of drills during all star game. overall it was boring game , Sharks are garbage , not deserve to be in playoff . Green wasn't himself ,Tatar if not penalty shot nothing good . Nyquist looks like Nyquist 2 years ago ,Jensen looks good

I laughed at this recap because I can agree so much on a few points. Sharks are in shambles. Thornton is injured, Pavelski is playing with injuries, their depth like Donskoi and Hertl aren't taking the next step. Burns' terrible season after possibly no effort put in the summer is IMO a part of why they're nothing compared to 2016.

Yeah it was fairly boring (as usual) and such a lackluster crowd effects the overall atmosphere. I missed the 1st but another game where the Red Wings were faster and responsible defensively. The kids played their hearts out. Totally agree about Nyquist- he's having an amazing season. Tatar- meh I've been annoyed with the contract because of how invisible he gets ( 1 ES goal his last 30 games) but realistically 50 points and a wicked PP shot is close to league vale. May be that sick SO out goal was worth an extra 500k haha!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Could you please share this link? It's the most interesting I've heard all night. The Sharks are not selling rn

Yea no. I like R McD a lot, but why would we ever entertain a trade for him at this juncture. That's the opposite of what we want.

Fine player - but not for our rebuild

Ken Daniels said it on TV during the game.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
It's been rumored the Rangers are gonna blow the team up. Even McDonagh and Zuccarello aren't safe? Do we take a crack at McDonagh?

I don't think we can afford to trade for him. If we can or he hits free agency, you absolutely do. He is a 1D LD, you take him, insert our prospects on D as they're ready, try to whip a competent forward group from our picks and prospects and go challenge for the cup.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
He was steady and reliable. And for this season, you are underestimating how much he has helped with elevating Ericsson's game. He's not a flashy goal scorer/point producer, but he's been a good addition to help stabilize the blue-line. I like the signing. Not everyone can be Drew Doughty or Eric Karlsson.

Jensen also had a slick game. He was skating really well and getting shots through. Larkin, AA and Mantha frustrate me way too often.

Mrazek has been fun to watch. Glad he's turning it around. Hopefully scouts are taking notice and is increasing his trade value. BTW, 25 scouts were at this game Ken Daniels said.

Pass. I'd rather qualify him for next year. Although very inconsistent, we have a skilled, athletic goalie who is only 25 years old. Makes 0 sense to trade him, considering none of goalie prospects are remotely close from even becoming a backup. Qualify Mrazek for next year, try to trade Jimmy at the deadline, try to trade him again in the offseason, and if you can't move him, roll with Mrazek as the starter and Jimmy as the backup next year.

We will regret it if we trade Mrazek, mark my words.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think we can afford to trade for him. If we can or he hits free agency, you absolutely do. He is a 1D LD, you take him, insert our prospects on D as they're ready, try to whip a competent forward group from our picks and prospects and go challenge for the cup.

Yeah, that's what I see as the biggest hang-up. The guy's just 28 yrs old, and he's got another year on his contract at a very low cap hit. The Rangers should be able to get a big haul for the guy, and dealing those sort of assets away is just counterproductive for the Wings right now. A team like Winny could use a lefty, Tampa or Toronto could swing it. Even a club like Chicago could probably make the money work to try to extend their window a bit.

Reactions: jkutswings

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Nobody is asking for Daley to be Doughty or Karlsson.

Also I'm not sure I agree with any of what you said regarding Daley. I don't think he has made anyone better, I don't think he has done anything to really improve a mediocre to awful defensive core. I don't think Daley was a terrible signing, but good? Meh.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nobody is asking for Daley to be Doughty or Karlsson.

Also I'm not sure I agree with any of what you said regarding Daley. I don't think he has made anyone better, I don't think he has done anything to really improve a mediocre to awful defensive core. I don't think Daley was a terrible signing, but good? Meh.
He's as vanilla as it gets these days, but is also an indication that none of the more promising youth are quite ready to push for a serious look with the big club.

Now maybe that changes once the team is mathematically (or even just substantially) eliminated from the playoffs. But it's not like last spring was bursting at the seams with playing prospects, so we'll see if this year is a change in that regard, or more of the same.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I was at the game last night and can provide some potential evidence toward scouting activity...

My GF came in possession of tickets that sat in section 208, 2nd to last row BEHIND the gondola on the penalty box side. I will advise that if you are attending a game to see the entirety of the playing surface, the scoreboard hanging above center ice and/or the cool lights/banner drops from the ceiling, I would avoid these seats. View of the closest corner of the ice is blocked by heads and bodies in the seats in front of you, and the gondola completely blocks view of the roof and all but the very bottom of the scoreboard. To make up for the lack of scoreboard view, there are large screen TV's on the back of the gondola that show whatever is on scoreboard. So it gives kind of an "intimate dark living room" feel, if you're into that sort of thing.

That said, if you just like the experience of being at the game, having fun with intoxicated fans, the occasional scent of marijuana, or some type of juggalo/Kottonmouth Kings music loudly emitting from someone's cell phone during a moment of silence, there was no better seat in the house!

Anyway, back to the scouts thing... The seat also gave a prime view of the "portals" (more like bridges) to the gondola. I'm not sure if the gondola is where scouts would watch the game, but most of the guys walking that portal were dressed in suits and carrying briefcases or laptop bags. Some of them had that "wrinkled like I just got off a long sweaty plane ride and didn't have time to iron" look to their suit jackets, and some met on the portal and chatted all business like. One of the main reasons I noticed them was that every time one or a group of them walked by, my GF would nudge me and ask if it was Ken Holland... :laugh:

Also... The guy directly to my left was in an AA jersey and got visibly triggered and awkward when a hilarious and likely inebriated fan yelled "I remember my first break away!" after an AA breakaway and then when my GF loudly tried to predict that AA wouldn't score in the shootout. I was about to ask him if he was Redder Winger from HFBoards, but then he celebrated Abdelkaders shootout goal and the eventual win, so I knew it definitely wasn't. :laugh::laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
He's as vanilla as it gets these days, but is also an indication that none of the more promising youth are quite ready to push for a serious look with the big club.

Now maybe that changes once the team is mathematically (or even just substantially) eliminated from the playoffs. But it's not like last spring was bursting at the seams with playing prospects, so we'll see if this year is a change in that regard, or more of the same.

It does make it look pretty bleak for guys like XO, Jensen, and Russo (as does their play this season) but that doesn't mean Daley was needed for anything. Remove Daley, insert XO for ~16 minutes and the split up the four remaining minutes that Daley plays every night to the other five guys. Or six guys when Blashill runs his 11-7 thing.

Id' rather have that ~$4m free to throw at someone else every summer than Daley.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Our defence is just awful

If they can come close to starting to fix that this draft/TDL/summer, I have hope we will turn things around much quicker

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I laughed at this recap because I can agree so much on a few points. Sharks are in shambles. Thornton is injured, Pavelski is playing with injuries, their depth like Donskoi and Hertl aren't taking the next step. Burns' terrible season after possibly no effort put in the summer is IMO a part of why they're nothing compared to 2016.

Lots to not like about the Sharks but Burns isnt one of them. He had a slow start but hes bounced back and is already on pace for 70 points depsite the slow start. He;ll probably finish with 75. Burns was a beast last night, had like 9 or 10 SOG.

Babcock was right to be pissed when Holland didnt push hard to trade for him

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Id' rather have that ~$4m free to throw at someone else every summer than Daley.
I'll never really understand this thinking. You're not going to do much better than Daley in FA, especially not on a shorter or cheaper deal. I also much prefer Daley to XO and Jensen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Daley was signed to be sold. ~9M for a draft pick.

That's the price of a draft pick. "Green <> 1st" is gonna pay 17 million.

Vanek 3rd rounder did cost 2.2 million.

Ott 6th rounder did cost 600k.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'll never really understand this thinking. You're not going to do much better than Daley in FA, especially not on a shorter or cheaper deal. I also much prefer Daley to XO and Jensen.
I don't think that's the point tbh. Signing Daley is an anti tank move. I get this is a business and you want to put a quality product on the ice, its just opposite of what most fans want right now which is to get the best draft position as possible.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
most fans want right now which is to get the best draft position as possible.
I'd say "some fans." I have been a Wings fan since the early 90s, an I don't want to be the next Edmonton for 20 more years.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I'd say "some fans." I have been a Wings fan since the early 90s, an I don't want to be the next Edmonton for 20 more years.
Well in a lot of fans opinions being a fringe playoff team will only hurt this team. It does nothing for the team in trying to acquire elite talent

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Or just as wiggle room to sign our young players or acquire an expensive contract from a contender with a pick or a decent prospect added in.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I'm not necessarily looking for a shorter/cheaper deal. I'm looking to have that money to buy something I want to keep around for more than three years and who isn't just a placeholder. The difference between this team with Daley and without just isn't enough to matter for me.

Daley was signed to be sold. ~9M for a draft pick.

That's the price of a draft pick. "Green <> 1st" is gonna pay 17 million.

Vanek 3rd rounder did cost 2.2 million.

Ott 6th rounder did cost 600k.

I'm not buying this. Green's likely to be dealt because Holland failed at building a competitive team. Daley was signed to try to make us competitive, not to be sold. If we wanted to sign a guy to deal at the TDL, we would have been shopping for a one year deal.

Or just as wiggle room to sign our young players or acquire an expensive contract from a contender with a pick or a decent prospect added in.

Yeah. In the end, there are just better ways to spend nearly $4m in cap space by teams in positions like Detroit's. If we could do something like NYI trading for Leddy or Carolina trading for Bickell/Teravainen I'd be pretty darn happy with those.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad