GDT: San Jose Sharks at Calgary Flames (2am GMT)

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
That was a terrible game. So many turnovers right in front of the rookie goalie. He didn't have his best game, but I sure am not gonna pile on him. He needs to be given a solid stretch of NHL play. He'll bounce back.

Trades pls.

Reactions: Felidae

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Pack of hyenas my ass

That was a terrible game. So many turnovers right in front of the rookie goalie. He didn't have his best game, but I sure am not gonna pile on him. He needs to be given a solid stretch of NHL play. He'll bounce back.

Trades pls.
He never does- actually.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I figured we'd beat Chicago (which was a struggle), I did not think we'd get rinsed by the Sharks.

If Markstrom is gone, hopefully Wolf can figure out the NHL level because he looked pretty bad tonight.

Reactions: Felidae

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The second Kunin goal reminded me of the fourth goal against Ottawa in his debut this season. Tough break goal followed by him just letting in a shot from distance right after.

Wolf is still young yet, but he's not some saviour that is immune to the pitfalls of any other goalie mentally, from what I've seen so far.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They pretty much tell Conroy he can’t have it both ways. Start selling and we go in tank mode.

Wolf is no where ready to save this team
As the matter of fact, he may enter bust territory if he is the starter after they sell off the defense. The team was bad tonight but he looked lost

Reactions: joescores

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Not sure why everyone is so worried about Wolf. He was a 7th round pick. I don’t think he will be the next Saros as to me Saros looks bigger. Wolf gives up a lot of small goalie goals in NHL - over the shoulder. NHL shooters are elite. So trade Markstrom for a huge haul and play the crap out of Wolf and Vladar rest of this year and next year to see what develops. Bring in some competition in the fall for training camp. In five years time I think Sergeev is our #1 anyways.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I still believe in the Wolf man, but that was an awful showing. One of the worst tendy performances I can recall all year. I'd say 3 of the goals were stoppable and 2 were just atrocious. I've heard some ppl argue that the defence let Wolf down on this one and ya I'm not buying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: joescores

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
A game like this makes you wonder if Wolf will be able to overcome his size disadvantage in the NHL. We'll have to see how he does next game.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It’s hard to say. People are saying Wolf have won everything in the AHL. What’s left for him to learn.
He could have a bad game, he may be no good. They will have to find out soon
but not without extended look

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Getting put out to dry isn't representative of what Dustin's abilities are.
That was about as bad a game as I can recall from Calgary in a long while, they essentially bled high danger chances in the second and third.

Going 0/5 on the PP isn't going to do it either.

This team played like shit in front of Wolf. This is why it's important to hold onto some vets, so that playing like shit will have guys in room calling it out.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I saw some bad goaltending.

I saw really bad defensive breakdowns.

Sometimes, those situations overlapped.
I mean I can't argue against what you saw since that is entirely subjective. Just looked at the natural stat breakdown though, and it had us at a xGA of 2.21 at all strengths. That's about what I saw too, the defence was fine really. When your goaltending is bad it's going to make everything look worse than it actually is.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Who said the quote about the game being easy? Was it huberdeau, cause that is brutal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Getting put out to dry isn't representative of what Dustin's abilities are.
That was about as bad a game as I can recall from Calgary in a long while, they essentially bled high danger chances in the second and third.

Going 0/5 on the PP isn't going to do it either.

This team played like shit in front of Wolf. This is why it's important to hold onto some vets, so that playing like shit will have guys in room calling it out.
While that's fair, last year I was told that getting hung out to dry wasn't an excuse for bad goaltending numbers.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I mean I can't argue against what you saw since that is entirely subjective. Just looked at the natural stat breakdown though, and it had us at a xGA of 2.21 at all strengths. That's about what I saw too, the defence was fine really. When your goaltending is bad it's going to make everything look worse than it actually is.
Tanev literally scored one of the goals on Wolf, and Toronto had to call the refs about 3 minutes later because nobody saw it happen. Well maybe Tanev knew...

Everyone was bad, and it showed.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I am not a fan of Wolf. He has been very underwhelming and unimpressive. If Pospisil would play like this in Nov in his first few games, there would be no new contract on the table and he would be packing back to A sharpish. You need to snatch it.

Was the team around him bad? Sure it was but that was his moment, to stand on his head and show us what he is made of- but he didn't. The way he tracked the puck and the way he was playing behind the net- Christ he was handling the puck like a grenade.

And in all fairness, he has had a few games in the Show already, in none if them he looked aa the next big thing- let's not pretend.

He is a smallish netminder who played like a complete midget- he has no chance surviving if he doesn't grasp the basics sharpish.

f*** play him v Detroit, just give him one more game so I can at least spot some glimpses of hope.

Disappointed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad