Proposal: San Jose - Minnesota

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zuccarello's going to be hard to move at 35 years old with two years left at $6m and a full NMC. When you factor in the cost to acquire and extend Hertl + losing the existing offensive chemistry between Zuccarello and Minnesota's best player, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

It's made easier when his full NMC becomes a 10 team no-trade when next league season starts. I don't think it'll be that hard to shed honestly. They pay out the signing bonus and the final two years is 9.5 mil over two seasons for him. That's a pretty good deal before any potential retention talks. But like I said, that's pretty much the choice in order to do it. From a long-term team perspective, Hertl's the better bet and probably worth the cost but that's going to be a subjective thing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's made easier when his full NMC becomes a 10 team no-trade when next league season starts. I don't think it'll be that hard to shed honestly. They pay out the signing bonus and the final two years is 9.5 mil over two seasons for him. That's a pretty good deal before any potential retention talks. But like I said, that's pretty much the choice in order to do it. From a long-term team perspective, Hertl's the better bet and probably worth the cost but that's going to be a subjective thing.
Ah, forgot about the NMC changing to a limited NTC; that's a fair point.

I still don't see the Wild biting on a major acquisition like Hertl, though. If they were going to make that sort of move I think it probably would've happened this summer. At this point I think they've settled on promoting from within for the next few seasons.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Boldy for Hertl
Eklund for Fiala
I understand you dont like the idea, but thats the tier of prospect id want for Hertl before deadline. No reason to deal him if we cant get something that good

Greenway is useless long term to us, and Khusnidinov isnt good enough to return Hertl on his own.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I understand you dont like the idea, but thats the tier of prospect id want for Hertl before deadline. No reason to deal him if we cant get something that good

Greenway is useless long term to us, and Khusnidinov isnt good enough to return Hertl on his own.

Well I mean it's nice to want things. Like I want Eklund if we move Fiala.

But the primary reason for San Jose to move Hertl for the best thing you can get is because you'll otherwise get nothing when he walks.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Well I mean it's nice to want things. Like I want Eklund if we move Fiala.

But the primary reason for San Jose to move Hertl for the best thing you can get is because you'll otherwise get nothing when he walks.
Im not asking you for Fiala, you are asking for Hertl in this trade Scenario. Its not on the seller to take your cap issues into account in trades.

Yes, however id prefer to wait until the deadline where we could easily still get a deal with value like this, and Hertl could still choose to resign. The cost right now is going to be higher if you want the full season and chance to resign

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Im not asking you for Fiala, you are asking for Hertl in this trade Scenario. Its not on the seller to take your cap issues into account in trades.

Yes, however id prefer to wait until the deadline where we could easily still get a deal with value like this, and Hertl could still choose to resign. The cost right now is going to be higher if you want the full season and chance to resign

I'm not asking for Hertl, a Russian poster that follows Kaprizov, not the Wild, is.

The cost might be higher, but rest assured it is not Boldy anywhere other than in your head. Fiala and Eklund was an example to (hopefully) get that point across to you. Didn't work.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I'm not asking for Hertl, a Russian poster that follows Kaprizov, not the Wild, is.

The cost might be higher, but rest assured it is not Boldy anywhere other than in your head. Fiala and Eklund was an example to (hopefully) get that point across to you. Didn't work.
The only point I picked up is that you like to exaggerate to make a point. If your not interested in trading for Hertl, why should we bother talking price? We are obviously coming from very different perceptions of value

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
It does, given Hertl can (and probably will) leave the Sharks in less than a year. The only reason Minnesota pays this high price is to outbid other offers.

I agree an un-extended hertl is not worth as much as an extended one. But, I think if the sharks trade hertl, they likely give him the freedom to pre-negotiate an extension to a team in the east, and trade him according to extended value.

Reactions: themelkman

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I agree an un-extended hertl is not worth as much as an extended one. But, I think if the sharks trade hertl, they likely give him the freedom to pre-negotiate an extension to a team in the east, and trade him according to extended value.
Ill go a step further, I bet they will prioritize that before trading him. Getting max value if he wont stay is the goal, however it needs to be done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad