Proposal: San Jose - Minnesota

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Tomas H, a free agent to be isn't worth this. It's also not worth having Rossi as 3c when he's ready. Believe it, or not; it's not worth sacrificing a top prospect like Khusnutdinov for 1 year rental who has no reason to resign with Minnesota

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Doesn't really work for the sharks --- greenway is pretty good, but replaceable... khusnutdinov is a nice piece, but value doesn't equal hertl

It does, given Hertl can (and probably will) leave the Sharks in less than a year. The only reason Minnesota pays this high price is to outbid other offers.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tomas H, a free agent to be isn't worth this. It's also not worth having Rossi as 3c when he's ready. Believe it, or not; it's not worth sacrificing a top prospect like Khusnutdinov for 1 year rental who has no reason to resign with Minnesota

If Rossi becomes as good as people think, he will play 2C or even 1C role. EEK will be pretty good as a 3C. And why do you think Hertl won't resign with Minnesota? To me his reasons are obvious, the team is good and Kaprizov as a linemate isn't that bad either.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If any Hertl proposal doesn't include at least one 1st Round pick, it's no deal.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Minnesota was going to trade for Hertl they probably would have done it this summer when they could still get a year out of his current contract. Giving up choice assets for a rental doesn't really fit with Guerin's behavior up to this point.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
People are consumed with Hertl being a pending UFA as a reason for driving his price down. Here’s the thing, he’s a 27 year old, low end 1C at a very attractive cap hit. He’s going to command a hefty price if traded. Also, the team that acquired him will definitely not be viewing him as a rental. That’s a guarantee. So you get the advantage of courting him for a few months and having exclusive negotiating rights. A solid roster player and prospect doesn’t come close to landing Hertl.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
People are consumed with Hertl being a pending UFA as a reason for driving his price down. Here’s the thing, he’s a 27 year old, low end 1C at a very attractive cap hit. He’s going to command a hefty price if traded. Also, the team that acquired him will definitely not be viewing him as a rental. That’s a guarantee. So you get the advantage of courting him for a few months and having exclusive negotiating rights. A solid roster player and prospect doesn’t come close to landing Hertl.
High end rentals can certainly return a lot and I'd put Hertl in that category, personally. I also think it'd make a lot of sense for the acquiring team to be interested in extending him. But given their cap situation for the next few years, I don't think Minnesota is that team.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If any Hertl proposal doesn't include at least one 1st Round pick, it's no deal.
Most here would consider Marat to have 1st round value, as he is playing on a good team in the KHL, doing well, and is going to be the captain of the Russian WJC team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

His cap hit is attractive for next 6 months. And he's 28 in a month. As to viewing him as not rental, it doesn't depend on teams. Hertl can pretty much decide to test the market as UFA. It looks like it's exactly what he's going to do, at least for now.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
If Minnesota was going to trade for Hertl they probably would have done it this summer when they could still get a year out of his current contract. Giving up choice assets for a rental doesn't really fit with Guerin's behavior up to this point.
??? If the Wild traded for him today they'd still get him for the entire year/season

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks aren't going to move Hertl until the deadline at the earliest. They want to see what they have because they have hope in some of their young talent to help everyone be better. By then, the offers aren't going to include their reporting asking price of a 1st rounder, a high end prospect, and an NHL ready player at the same time as Eklund since Eklund is likely ready now. And if it's Minnesota, which who knows with Hertl's three team trade list, we're probably looking more at Rossi or Khusnutdinov and a 1st round pick to get it done. Maybe toss back Rask for cap space.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
??? If the Wild traded for him today they'd still get him for the entire year/season
Fair, though realistically that isn't going to happen unless he suddenly became "available" in the last week or two. If San Jose didn't explore trading him over the summer I'm not sure why they would right as the season opens. Trades like this typically happen closer to the trade deadline.

Either way, the Wild aren't likely to part with the assets that Hertl would command in a trade. They've got a lot of prospects that look like they'll be playing NHL games in the next 1-3 years, but they're going to need them as the buyout cap hits really start to pinch.

Reactions: MNRube

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The Wild aren't going to part with premier futures assets to acquire a rental they can't afford to extend.

I did get a kick out of the guy asking for Boldy and Lambos though. Decent trolling, but could have been better if you didn't make it so obvious.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
No not Marat, he’s going to be so much fun. Value is probably fair, Khusnutdinov is having a great year in the KHL and now projects as a Top 6 F IMO. Greenway a bit overrated due to playing with JEE & Foligno but he’s still a very useful player. I’d pass if I was Guerin or try to switch Marat to Khovanov plus a pick.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't know if I'd go that far but they'd have to make a move to free up the cap needed. They'd basically have to choose between Hertl and Zuccarello.
Zuccarello's going to be hard to move at 35 years old with two years left at $6m and a full NMC. When you factor in the cost to acquire and extend Hertl + losing the existing offensive chemistry between Zuccarello and Minnesota's best player, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad