Confirmed with Link: Samuel Montembeault extended for 3 years ($3.15M AAV)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
World Chanpionships is far from a high pressure tournament. But let’s not pretend Montembault is dealing with the full pressure of our market is disingenuous. A lot of the pressure that comes with this market comes from the expectations the fans put on the player. That’s why they went after guys like Price, Drouin, Subban, etc. Montembault was a waiver wire pick up and a feel good story. At no point were the expectations for him to perform at a high or even medium level. Everything he’s brought has just been a bonus.
I disagree representing Canada has always been pressure packed no matter what. I mean the players feel pressure to do well in the Spengler Cup. I'm assuming it means little to you but don't try to tell me players who head over aren't fully invested. The one good indicator here for me is the pressure that a goaltender feels within a game. Montembeault's best trait has been his ability to fight back when things haven't started well. There is a pressure on him not to allow the next goal. It's all relative. I get what you mean in terms of playing for something lower expectations sure, but this does not apply to teams still in a position to make the playoffs. They are definitely still playing for something.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I disagree representing Canada has always been pressure packed no matter what. I mean the players feel pressure to do well in the Spengler Cup. I'm assuming it means little to you but don't try to tell me players who head over aren't fully invested. The one good indicator here for me is the pressure that a goaltender feels within a game. Montembeault's best trait has been his ability to fight back when things haven't started well. There is a pressure on him not to allow the next goal. It's all relative. I get what you mean in terms of playing for something lower expectations sure, but this does not apply to teams still in a position to make the playoffs. They are definitely still playing for something.
The post you quoted of mine was responding specifically to the pressure of being a goalie in Montreal. Being a starting goalie in Montreal does not compare to a silly 2 week tournament in the offseason which most players decline to even go too. As Montembault continues to build his name up and the games start to have some meaning again, we can make an accessment on how he handles pressure of the market. As of now, there isn’t much pressure at all as the media and fans main attention isn’t focused on winning. That’s all I was saying.

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The post you quoted of mine was responding specifically to the pressure of being a goalie in Montreal. Being a starting goalie in Montreal does not compare to a silly 2 week tournament in the offseason which most players decline to even go too. As Montembault continues to build his name up and the games start to have some meaning again, we can make an accessment on how he handles pressure of the market. As of now, there isn’t much pressure at all as the media and fans main attention isn’t focused on winning. That’s all I was saying.
The fact remains that our win-loss recored with Monty has been better than with Allen
(and Primeau) for the last 107 games. It's not that small a sample size. The World Championship is ADDITIONAL confirmation of his level, not the only indicator. And it's not only W-L, but also GAA and SVP. Across the board.

Reactions: Sorinth

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I'm meh about it because while he has been very good this season (especially considering the team can't defend for shit), he's only had 10 starts. They're betting on his upside but outside of this quarter-season, he's had a below-average career. Just not convinced quite yet.
Looking at your posting name, I’d wager you’re used to disappointment 😉

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I could swear Habs are doing it on purpose to make him look bad so he's not claimed on waivers, when they decide to go that route lol
Whoever claims him has to keep him on their NHL roster. That means a team possibly carrying 3 goalies to keep Primeau? I doubt he clears unless Edmonton claims him and sends Pickard packing

Reactions: zx81

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Where do you think the pressure comes from? Probably the fact that we haven't had a dominant team in 50 years. The pressure you speak of starts with the goaltender out philosophy we've lived for 30 plus years. As a matter of fact last night I said the first period felt like a movie we'd all seen many times where we would not be able to get that third goal to seal the deal. It turns out I was wrong. But I still don't buy your No Pressure Theory. We have no chance in hell unless our goaltenders stand on their heads. Sam knows it and is handling it just fine.

He gets the credit he deserves until he doesn't. There is nothing in his game right now that leads me to believe he will be the reason we falter.

Whoever claims him has to keep him on their NHL roster. That means a team possibly carrying 3 goalies to keep Primeau? I doubt he clears unless Edmonton claims him and sends Pickard packing
I had doubts he would clear out of camp. The NHL roster part being exactly the reason why.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Where do you think the pressure comes from? Probably the fact that we haven't had a dominant team in 50 years. The pressure you speak of starts with the goaltender out philosophy we've lived for 30 plus years. As a matter of fact last night I said the first period felt like a movie we'd all seen many times where we would not be able to get that third goal to seal the deal. It turns out I was wrong. But I still don't buy your No Pressure Theory. We have no chance in hell unless our goaltenders stand on their heads. Sam knows it and is handling it just fine.

He gets the credit he deserves until he doesn't. There is nothing in his game right now that leads me to believe he will be the reason we falter.

I had doubts he would clear out of camp. The NHL roster part being exactly the reason why.
You’re right that we have built from the net out for most of the past several decades. But as of now, we aren’t built around a goaltender. This team hasn’t built an identity yet. If we’re built around a $3 million dollar goalie, we’re screwed.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You’re right that we have built from the net out for most of the past several decades. But as of now, we aren’t built around a goaltender. This team hasn’t beat an identity. If we’re built around a $3 million dollar goalie, we’re screwed.
LOLOLOL
True but we are built from the back out until we get some talent up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad