Value of: Sami Vatanen and Josh Manson

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
What would it take to trade for either of these guys? What would Anaheim want for either (assuming they remain on the roster)? This will be the perfect way to gauge what ransom the Ducks would pay to keep either or both.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
What would it take to trade for either of these guys? What would Anaheim want for either (assuming they remain on the roster)? This will be the perfect way to gauge what ransom the Ducks would pay to keep either or both.

No it absolutely will not.

First, you don't pay the price of both players to keep both, Vegas can only take 1 player.

Second, Vegas doesn't own both those players and they aren't trading them back to Anaheim.

Anaheim is STILL paying the original price tag of the following: Bieksa waives and is exposed, Kerdiles (a better asset than Bieksa) is also exposed. Sami Vatanen is traded for market value, and Vegas is forced to take Kerdiles.

The only thing Anaheim is paying for is the inconvenience of avoiding the Bieksa situation, the convenience of having better bargaining power with Vatanen, and whatever price it would have costed to force McPhee to leave Bieksa alone otherwise he wouldn't wavie to begin with (this should be very slim as again, Kerdiles is in LV best interest to take over Bieksa).

Based on the above logic, and the above conversation I can 100% guarantee BM has had with McPhee, the price tag will not be a lot.

In fact, it is NOT BASED ON those players market values at all. So the whole point of this thread is void.

The value is, I reiterate, based on the hypothetical non-taking of Bieksa. That's it.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Vegas should just draft Vatanen and De Haan and have two #2 guys. A good start to the core.

This is not an option for Vegas.

Vatanen would have been traded and Bieksa would have waived in favor of protecting Manson IF there was not a deal in place deciding who LV takes.

Face it, they're taking Kerdiles or Stoner and Anaheim is paying something like Jacob Larsson at the max.

Vatanen will be traded for market value, so speculate about him. No one else. Theodore is safe, Sam Steel is safe. Mark it down. Heard it here first.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Vatanen would already be gone for far less than market value if McPhee didn't agree to a deal to help them out. You have to understand that when teams are in trouble, they don't get market value for their players.

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
No it absolutely will not.

First, you don't pay the price of both players to keep both, Vegas can only take 1 player.

Second, Vegas doesn't own both those players and they aren't trading them back to Anaheim.

Anaheim is STILL paying the original price tag of the following: Bieksa waives and is exposed, Kerdiles (a better asset than Bieksa) is also exposed. Sami Vatanen is traded for market value, and Vegas is forced to take Kerdiles.

The only thing Anaheim is paying for is the inconvenience of avoiding the Bieksa situation, the convenience of having better bargaining power with Vatanen, and whatever price it would have costed to force McPhee to leave Bieksa alone otherwise he wouldn't wavie to begin with (this should be very slim as again, Kerdiles is in LV best interest to take over Bieksa).

Based on the above logic, and the above conversation I can 100% guarantee BM has had with McPhee, the price tag will not be a lot.

In fact, it is NOT BASED ON those players market values at all. So the whole point of this thread is void.

The value is, I reiterate, based on the hypothetical non-taking of Bieksa. That's it.

Hahaha.

ox·y·mo·ron
ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
noun
noun: oxymoron; plural noun: oxymorons

A figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Of course you would.

No thanks

Fortunately for us and other teams, the ducks arent in the position to determine what is value is or isnt, its Vegas's now. A mid first + a good prospect is something I'm sure Vegas will look at if they take Manson.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
This is not an option for Vegas.

Vatanen would have been traded and Bieksa would have waived in favor of protecting Manson IF there was not a deal in place deciding who LV takes.

Face it, they're taking Kerdiles or Stoner and Anaheim is paying something like Jacob Larsson at the max.

Vatanen will be traded for market value, so speculate about him. No one else. Theodore is safe, Sam Steel is safe. Mark it down. Heard it here first.

GMGM has stated there are no deals in place as of right now. Vatanen and Manson are both officially on the market.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Fortunately for us and other teams, the ducks arent in the position to determine what is value is or isnt, its Vegas's now.

Right, I keep forgetting we are gonna get blitzed for both Vats and Manson

/sarcasm

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If I'm Vegas and I got the chance to have Vatanen on my team I'm taking it. That guy could be a very good #1 defensemen for them going forward.

TheWhite9

Jun 14, 2017
Nova Scotia
I can see Anaheim generating a deal with LV to protect Manson, but it would cost a lot in my opinion to protect both of them.

LV takes Vatanen+whatever LV gives them to stay away from Manson (Prospect? 1st?).

LV then flips Vatanen for a draft picks/prospects.

My thought process through this is that Manson will yield a big return (if LV takes him and trades him away), so to prevent LV from taking Manson ANA will have to give them something enticing to stay away from him. But for them to deter LV from taking both, Vatanen and Manson, what would that cost them? Two 1sts ?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Two 1sts seems good for both sides if Vegas is letting them keep both. They could get about that trading either of these guys.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I can think of a single deal that makes sense for Vegas. They're as valuable to Vegas as anyone in the NHL. 1st + prospect + lesser roster player.

For Ottawa, that is something like 1st + Borowiecki + Chalpik

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I can see Anaheim generating a deal with LV to protect Manson, but it would cost a lot in my opinion to protect both of them.

LV takes Vatanen+whatever LV gives them to stay away from Manson (Prospect? 1st?).

LV then flips Vatanen for a draft picks/prospects.

My thought process through this is that Manson will yield a big return (if LV takes him and trades him away), so to prevent LV from taking Manson ANA will have to give them something enticing to stay away from him. But for them to deter LV from taking both, Vatanen and Manson, what would that cost them? Two 1sts ?

Two firsts wouldn't be nearly enough for a team that is generally picking in the 20s every season. Tampa would easily give 14th this year + either a good prospect or another first for Manson, which would likely be higher than the two firsts from Anaheim. I'd say any prospect not named Sergachev is on the table for Manson. 1st + Raddysh? Howden? I'd do it in a second.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
That's a pretty big offer. So big, I'm not sure it makes the Leafs a better team.

Kapanen replaces 2/3 of JVRs production immediately, with potential to be as good as JVR.

The 1st is the biggest hit, but drafting at 17, realisticly the drafted player is 3 years away if he even makes the NHL.

Bracco is extremely boom-bust and we have more than enough small winger prospects, who quite honestly are better than Bracco.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad