Player Discussion: Sami Niku

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Perhaps I am wrong and Niku is the next Postma/Petan/name the bright shinny object that didn't Pan out. I just think this season you take the next 60 games to find out if the former AHL D man of the year can grow into a top 4 role in the NHL? We have nothing to lose so why not fish a bit for young upside as opposed to playing proven bottom paring vets that are playing over their head and not part of our future? Either way I am starting to not really care that much.
Not caring...

This is what it seems like TNSE doesn't have a healthy enough fear of. Ambivalence from the most educated fans should be a canary in the coal mine for this franchise. I hope a guy like Murat might have hand in exposing the obvious deficiencies in this teams roster managment. Shining a light on it. We'll see I guess

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not caring...

This is what it seems like TNSE doesn't have a healthy enough fear of. Ambivalence from the most educated fans should be a canary in the coal mine for this franchise. I hope a guy like Murat might have hand in exposing the obvious deficiencies in this teams roster managment. Shining a light on it. We'll see I guess
I'm ambivalent about their prospects for success this season because I expected them to falter (even before Buff's situation emerged). But that doesn't diminish my overall commitment as a fan, because I think they have still done a good job of putting together and organization with a good mix of talent, and a healthy cap situation. I'm enjoying this season because I get to watch good NHL hockey most nights, which is always a pleasure. But my expectations are realistic for this roster, with the anticipation that they'll need to make some moves next off-season that will be largely dependent on the situation with Byfuglien at that point.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Right, but if they waive Sbisa and send him to the Moose and call up Niku instead, it costs the Jets an extra 600-700k (over a full season).
makes the sbisa pick up look even worse. i get they can't necessarily predict injury recoveries, but would it have been so much worse to just pick a D off the moose to play for a few games than get saddled with a 700k, one way, marginal (if I'm being generous) NHL player for a year who may end up being a reason why we don't see whether niku develops into someone useful in the nhl? beating a dead horse but again this season is not likely to be a successful playoff run season, so it seems pretty short sighted to not line up things for what will hopefully be a better/less unlucky next season.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps I am wrong and Niku is the next Postma/Petan/name the bright shinny object that didn't Pan out. I just think this season you take the next 60 games to find out if the former AHL D man of the year can grow into a top 4 role in the NHL? We have nothing to lose so why not fish a bit for young upside as opposed to playing proven bottom paring vets that are playing over their head and not part of our future? Either way I am starting to not really care that much.

I am starting to think that because it is the last year of Maurice's contract that Chevy is giving the coach the latitude to do things his way.

It would be in the orgs best interest to get players like Niku plenty of NHL experience this year. I can't see how playing fringe vets advances the org at all.

Reactions: TS Quint

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Just food for thought, Thinking outside his performance, maybe his demotion to the AHL has something to do with things other then that.
I’m pretty sure it’s quite obvious that his demotion to the Moose was never performance related and generally more attitude related

Quite honestly reminds me of how Hutchinson eventually exited the organization on very sour terms

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I don’t think Niku is a long term Jet.

He likely thinks he should be with the big club, in an offensive role but there are still holes in his game.

Now do I think he’s a better option than Dahlstrom, Bitetto, and Sbisa? Yes, of course. But PMo doesn’t.

At some point, I see Chevy moving Niku to give him a fresh start.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I don’t think Niku is a long term Jet.

He likely thinks he should be with the big club, in an offensive role but there are still holes in his game.

Now do I think he’s a better option than Dahlstrom, Bitetto, and Sbisa? Yes, of course. But PMo doesn’t.

At some point, I see Chevy moving Niku to give him a fresh start.

If you are correct, it will really suck.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So are the Jets going to give up on a just turned 23 year old d man who seems to have plenty of potential, I knew Sbisa being claimed off waivers was more than a depth pick up as was signing Bitetto and claiming Dahlstrom, and is all you need to know in terms of this team burning the year

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just food for thought, Thinking outside his performance, maybe his demotion to the AHL has something to do with things other then that.
I was wondering the exact same thing and with the kind of luck the Jets have had so far this season it wouldn't surprise me at all .

Reactions: Duke749

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So are the Jets going to give up on a just turned 23 year old d man who seems to have plenty of potential, I knew Sbisa being claimed off waivers was more than a depth pick up as was signing Bitetto and claiming Dahlstrom, and is all you need to know in terms of this team burning the year
If the Jets were gonna burn the season i would rather do it by playing all young guys .

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
If the Jets were gonna burn the season i would rather do it by playing all young guys .

Very much agree, rolling the dice with prospects would of been my decision to rather than signing and claiming players that have no future with team and are barely NHL players, Chevy knew that this team would be in tough this year and it's panning out, hopeful a small retool next off season and the Jets might be playoff contenders, but quite obviously the window for the team assembled as of today is closed.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I’m pretty sure it’s quite obvious that his demotion to the Moose was never performance related and generally more attitude related

Quite honestly reminds me of how Hutchinson eventually exited the organization on very sour terms

I didn't think it was obvious to a lot of posters in this thread :nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

At some point we are going to have to start deferring to talent over other attributes when it comes to roster composition. Not everyone is going to have an attitude that the org likes. We aren't nearly deep enough anymore that we can afford to keep talent off the roster just to prove a point.

I personally think that Maurice doesn't like the risk in his game. Given the extreme focus on defense he likely wants players who he perceives have less risk in their games playing.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
It’s no secret that Niku has a bit of an attitude problem. There most certainly an event with coaching staff that had him stuck at the Moose until such tome he decides to change his attitude.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It’s no secret that Niku has a bit of an attitude problem. There most certainly an event with coaching staff that had him stuck at the Moose until such tome he decides to change his attitude.

First time I've heard of it. What's his attitude about? If it's about usage, he has every right to have attitude.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
At some point we are going to have to start deferring to talent over other attributes when it comes to roster composition. Not everyone is going to have an attitude that the org likes. We aren't nearly deep enough anymore that we can afford to keep talent off the roster just to prove a point.

I personally think that Maurice doesn't like the risk in his game. Given the extreme focus on defense he likely wants players who he perceives have less risk in their games playing.

That is the kind of issue a lot of teams have in professional sports. The NFL has a lot of issues like this. When do you say we can' t have this in our Org even if it means we are worse for it

I just don't know but I guess that depends on your owners and what they want

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
First time I've heard of it. What's his attitude about? If it's about usage, he has every right to have attitude.

This is an interesting comment that I think is worth discussing.

When do players specifically young players with no NHL history have the "right" to have an attitude about usage?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Oh yeah? So know we are floating this BS about our own prospects.. Whatever it takes to support your idols I guess...

Since all teams want to win and generally want the best players playing, when they cut a promising young player and send him to the minors during a time when it is the best time to play him because of a lack of options it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out it has to be about something else then performance on the ice

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Bitetto has been an excellent pickup. Not sure why he gets heat. For 700,000 he's probably on par with Chiarot at 3.5M. As for Niku, whats the rush? He'll be up any day now.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Since all teams want to win and generally want the best players playing, when they cut a promising young player and send him to the minors during a time when it is the best time to play him because of a lack of options it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out it has to be about something else then performance on the ice

On the surface I tend to agree. Where I struggle is no way Niku can be worse than noted head case Lemmy jr. Then couple that with the fact Lemmy senior was probably one of if not the biggest pain in ass the org has managed and all for an asset that was a 4th line plugger at best? How do we square that up?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
On the surface I tend to agree. Where I struggle is no way Niku can be worse than noted head case Lemmy jr. Then couple that with the fact Lemmy senior was probably one of if not the biggest pain in ass the org has managed and all for an asset that was a 4th line plugger at best? How do we square that up?
The rumours around Niku have been pretty loud, but I get the impression the organization is going the tough love approach because they have such high hopes for him.

Reactions: Fire Chevy

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd like to see Niku play 6-8 games --I think he has some serious upside, if he can get his defensive game to an improved level of play. I'd like to see him, and this is a perfect time with most of last year's D gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad