Player Discussion Sami Niku and 7D or not?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
After tonight's game, there's no chance Niku is not in the starting lineup next game.

I find Wideman over complicates things sometimes when he gets the puck. He's got to move it to the forwards quicker.

Hopefully Niku can surpass both Kulak and Wideman on the depth chart. But he will have to show consistentcy.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I find Wideman over complicates things sometimes when he gets the puck. He's got to move it to the forwards quicker.

Hopefully Niku can surpass both Kulak and Wideman on the depth chart. But he will have to show consistentcy.
It's weird I thought Wideman was doing a decent job so far.

It's our top guys that didn't deliver at their abilities.

I mean Petry is underperforming mightly.

We keep switching those 5-6 guys but the problem is that the so-called top 4 are not really doing the job either.

It looked better tonight so let's hope they woke up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilesNewton and 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

We keep switching those 5-6 guys but the problem is that the so-called top 4 is not really doing the job either.

what were the pairs tonight?

I saw the highlights: nice snipes by Hoffman, Chiarot, and Perreault. Nice nifty passes by toffoli and Drouin. Hopefully they've all woken up at least.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
what were the pairs tonight?

I saw the highlights: nice snipes by Hoffman, Chiarot, and Perreault. Nice nifty passes by toffoli and Drouin. Hopefully they've all woken up at least.
Chiarot-Petry
Romanov-Savard
Niku-Kulak

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City

We keep switching those 5-6 guys but the problem is that the so-called top 4 are not really doing the job either.

Honestly agreed. Kulak and whoever of Wideman and Niku was playing have been the least of our worries on D so far this season. Kulak has been low-key excellent in his role, but he can't be expected to continue playing like this.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Honestly agreed. Kulak and whoever of Wideman and Niku was playing have been the least of our worries on D so far this season. Kulak has been low-key excellent in his role, but he can't be expected to continue playing like this.
I think the reason guys like Kulak and other Kulak clones have a hard time establishing themselves is that they can't defend in their own zone when the game gets tough.

Guys like Chiarot and Edmundson can kill plays just because they can impose themselves physically.

Kulak and his friends are somewhat on the line of puck movers and shutdown D's.

Reactions: HabsQC and Vachon23

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

Strongly disagree. He was putrid in our zone and couldn't make a freaking decent pass to the winger for a quick transition which should be his strong suit. The other ''talent'' that this guy offers is PP quarterback which was ... ye.. 0% after 13 occasions, also on our PP1. ( Or 1/19 PP after the Hurricanes )
Frequently mishandles the puck which made the other teams play a really aggressive PK when he's on the ice since the puck will either end in Wideman's teammates feet or out of the zone.

in my honest opinion, he's our 8th defenseman. Which isn't a bad thing, unless you rely on him to freaking quarterback your first pp wave.

If our whole squad wasn't this bad the first 5 games, you would clearly see how he is nowhere near a solution but a quick band-aid.

As for Niku ; So happy that in his first game he was better than any 5 games of Wideman's.
The puck was moving fast and it was blatant the difference it made with our winger been able to exit with speed instead of having the puck stuck in their feet on the blue line.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Strongly disagree. He was putrid in our zone and couldn't make a freaking decent pass to the winger for a quick transition which should be his strong suit. The other ''talent'' that this guy offers is PP quarterback which was ... ye.. 0% after 13 occasions, also on our PP1.
Frequently mishandles the puck which made the other teams play a really aggressive PK when he's on the ice since the puck will either end in Wideman's teammates feet or out of the zone.

in my honest opinion, he's our 8th defenseman. Which isn't a bad thing, unless you rely on him to freaking quarterback your first pp wave.

If our whole squad wasn't this bad the first 5 games, you would clearly see how he is nowhere near a solution but a quick band-aid.

As for Niku ; So happy that in his first game he was better than any 5 games of Wideman's.
The puck was moving fast and it was blatant the difference it made with our winger been able to exit with speed instead of having the puck stuck in their feet on the blue line.
I respect your opinion but I disagree. I don't think Wideman was extremely bad as you try to portray it.

Romanov was worse than him, to be honest.

Reactions: MasterD

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Good surprise by the man with the glorious hair!
LOL
The hair has to go but the Dman himself can stay.
The kid has seized the opportunity. Let's see if he can continue on......always read great things about this kid, the Peg fans loved the guy, but he just couldn't crack their lineup....
Chairot
Perrault
Niku
The Jets pipeline....
Hopefully Kyle Connor is on his way to the habs too...

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Whoever ends up playing easier minutes looks good, everyone else looks bad. The habs have 4 D who need to be sheltered, 4 bottom pairing guys. All 4 can look good if they play a few easy minutes, none of them can play a lot of minutes against good lines without being exposed. Romanov may improve, and Niku may be a third higher pairing D or a 5th 3rd pairing D.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Niku has more upside than Wideman who is as good as he will ever be at 31 y/o.
Niku can get better.

Reactions: Dutronc

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Any puck mover in this team makes himself look like a hall of famer. This a scarcity effect. We're all bananas when there's a player with this attribute here.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
How did Niku and Perrault look so bad in Winnipeg?

Maybe it wasn't Chiarot?
? They were good. Particularly Perrault. When healthy he had stretches where he was among their most effective players. Niku was AHLs top dman in Wpg and never got a shot with the big club as Maurice didn't like him.

Jul 6, 2016
LOL
The hair has to go but the Dman himself can stay.
The kid has seized the opportunity. Let's see if he can continue on......always read great things about this kid, the Peg fans loved the guy, but he just couldn't crack their lineup....
Chairot
Perrault
Niku
The Jets pipeline....
Hopefully Kyle Connor is on his way to the habs too...

You forgot Armia.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad