Confirmed with Link: Sam Reinhart traded to Florida for a 1st in 2022 and G Devon Levi

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
The cuts to the FO and the unwillingness to pay to send the TV crew on the road are two areas where the team has been cheap and people extend that to the roster.

Only time will tell if they weaponize their cap space or not.

Were they unwilling or was it pandemic related safety protocols? If I were part of the TV crew, I would have stayed in Buffalo instead of traveling if I had the choice.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Were they unwilling or was it pandemic related safety protocols? If I were part of the TV crew, I would have stayed in Buffalo instead of traveling if I had the choice.

Inside Sabres TV road games, broadcast from home: 'It's just really bizarre'

The NHL’s coronavirus protocols have bumped broadcasters, producers, directors and replay technicians from team charters. The league has also established universal feeds for home and road teams, eliminating the need for commercial travel and its accompanying risks.

They could have sent them on the road and made the choice not to. It will be interesting to see what they do this upcoming season.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Inside Sabres TV road games, broadcast from home: 'It's just really bizarre'

They could have sent them on the road and made the choice not to. It will be interesting to see what they do this upcoming season.

They could have also asked the crew if they had a preference, and the crew said they'd rather stay safe at home instead of traveling. I don't have an A sub, so I can't read the whole article, but nothing in there says, "I told Terry I wanted to go, but he said no! You must stay home!" as he snapped his coin purse shut in front of me and a moth came flying out.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They could have also asked the crew if they had a preference, and the crew said they'd rather stay safe at home instead of traveling. I don't have an A sub, so I can't read the whole article, but nothing in there says, "I told Terry I wanted to go, but he said no! You must stay home!" as he snapped his coin purse shut in front of me and a moth came flying out.

Dunleavy and Ray made it pretty clear in the article that they were just making the best of a bad situation. Ray especially didn't like the change of vantage point.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Dunleavy and Ray made it pretty clear in the article that they were just making the best of a bad situation. Ray especially didn't like the change of vantage point.

There's still an inference in there that doesn't necessarily point to penny-pinching

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There's still an inference in there that doesn't necessarily point to penny-pinching

That's why I said it will be interesting to see what happens next season.

The Pegulas have talked about being "Effective, Efficient and Economical." They did have a bare bones FO staff most of the season. They made the choice not to send the production team on the road. These are all signs that they are operating the team on a tighter budget than they have spoken about before.

And they haven't made any of the cap weaponization deals like Arizona has this week.

I don't understand why people wouldn't have thoughts that there are budget reasons for why the team is making some of these decisions.

Reactions: sabremike

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Pegula never bought draft picks this way through the first rebuild. I don't blame him now, seeing how we squandered all the draft picks we acquired.

Pegula is being cheap now, not wanting to take on salary or give out long contracts. Traded Reinhart and Risto and only took on 1 contract for $1.7M.
In addition to what others noted, we have no idea what fraction of influence Pegula(s) have on the cap and contract decisions. It could be 100% Pegula, or it could be 0% Pegula and 100% Adams, or Adams / Karamanos, being prudent with cap.

Alternatively, we don't know whether PHI and FLA were offering cap dumps. If they did offer them, we don't know if Adams balked at the players, in terms of their fit, talent, off-ice reputation, etc., or if Adams felt the sweetener to take them wasn't sweet enough.

We just don't know.

Cap space is king. They are being smart about it imo. You will be thankful no cap dump contracts on this roster in 2 years other than Skinner.
Exactly. Or, they may wish to be "saving cap" now such that they have more flexibility with an Eichel trade, should one ever emerge.

The cuts to the FO and the unwillingness to pay to send the TV crew on the road are two areas where the team has been cheap and people extend that to the roster.

Only time will tell if they weaponize their cap space or not.
I personally won't fault any sports team for actions taken during a pandemic which both idled the league and prevented, or made difficult, both domestic and international travel. Some of it may have been wholly cost-cutting, but I believe the majority was pandemic-related.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Meaningless. Sabres were backed into corner. Reinhart held the cards.
How do other GMs manage to build contract extensions into trades like this and get proper value in return?

Plenty of players get traded and the trading GM gets value back in the trade when the player signs an extension with the new team. I mean, it just happened a few days ago with Seth Jones.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How do other GMs manage to build contract extensions into trades like this and get proper value in return?

Plenty of players get traded and the trading GM gets value back in the trade when the player signs an extension with the new team. I mean, it just happened a few days ago with Seth Jones.

Jones got value because GMs overvalue big RHD.

Exhibit A: Rasmus Ristolainen to Philly

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Jones got value because GMs overvalue big RHD.

Exhibit A: Rasmus Ristolainen to Philly
Yes I know. And I realize that Reinhart wasn’t going to return what Jones did. But Jones also wouldn’t have returned what he did without the extension in place. The reason I referenced him was because of the value Columbus got back for an extended Seth Jones.

Other teams were reportedly interested in Jones but he wouldn’t sign an extension there so Columbus refused to trade him to a team where they couldn’t get back what they felt he was worth. They found a team that he was willing to sign with and built that value into the trade.

edit - I was initially ok with the Reinhart trade because I figured he wasn’t willing to sign with any team for more than 1 year. I thought maybe the rumors of him wanting to be close to Vancouver were true. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes I know. And I realize that Reinhart wasn’t going to return what Jones did. But Jones also wouldn’t have returned what he did without the extension in place. The reason I referenced him was because of the value Columbus got back for an extended Seth Jones.

Other teams were reportedly interested in Jones but he wouldn’t sign an extension there so Columbus refused to trade him to a team where they couldn’t get back what they felt he was worth. They found a team that he was willing to sign with and built that value into the trade.

edit - I was initially ok with the Reinhart trade because I figured he wasn’t willing to sign with any team for more than 1 year. I thought maybe the rumors of him wanting to be close to Vancouver were true. That doesn’t appear to be the case.

Reinhart's trade value was what the market is for guys like him.

GMs value big RHD with bad advanced stats more than forwards like Reinhart and Buch.

You can question why that is. But, it does appear that Adams took the best available offer for Reinhart. There just wasn't a huge market for him compared to Jones and Risto.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Except for the fact that both Sam's turned out to be the wrong answer...

They're both good players. Teams should want to acquire good players. I'm not completely certain what you mean by "the answer" but just because someone was drafted top 3 doesn't mean they have to be a teams savior on their own.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Makes sense. With the Yandle buyout and Stralman trade, Florida had a bit extra cap this year but not next. Either we re sign him long-term and it's good and reasonable or we spent a lot for a good rental in a year where we should be a cap contender. I don' t get why Buffalo trade to take Stralman back: Stralman+1st+2nd+Koly+Levi for Reinhart would have been great value...maybe Stralman refused to waive?

Also how physical is SR? Given that Tampa is gooning up, I wonder how FLorida will respond.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Sam would be silly to not go to UFA at this point, especially if any of his preferred teams weren't interested in him via trade. If he hits the open market, someone's gonna give him 8+ next July. If he has a solid year in Florida, he might be the consensus top player available

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

I mean, I was aware of Reinhart's arbitration rights, but I just assumed it wouldn't be a factor. Before the trade actually happened, I took it as a foregone conclusion that: (1) we would let Reinhart talk to potential trade partners about his interest in playing there/desired contract terms; and (2) trade him to a team that he would sign long-term with, thus maximizing our value.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Also how physical is SR? Given that Tampa is gooning up, I wonder how FLorida will respond.

He's a physical player. He's strong on the boards and will take punishment to make plays. I've never seen him get intimidated. He doesn't get much credit for being physical because he plays a clean game and doesn't hit or fight. He's a Ryan O'Reilly with more skill and less dogged determination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad