Player Discussion Sam "Dikembe" Montembeault

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think his upside is more or less what we’ve seen the last year and some change. A goalie whose good as long as you don’t overuse him. My opinion is we’re seeing his ceiling right now. Like I said, I’m all good with bringing back Montembault as long as he’s paid like somebody whose a 1b/backup. I’m not overpaying him for his services however.
He could be the perfect "stop gap" with a decent 3 year deal until someone like Fowler is ready (hopefully).

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Montembault isn’t Hasek. Lol but I think that example only furthers the point that there’s a bunch of different ways to get a good goalie. Montembault has been a sub .900 goalie in every league he’s played in. He’s not someone I’m willing to take a risk on if the money doesn’t make sense. He’s also someone I hope Hughes finds a way to keep if he can. Especially in the era where most teams like to run a two goalie system.
Saying he's been sub .900 in every league is misleading, now I'm not sure if you meant he's had seasons with a sub .900 save percentage in every league which is fairly normal and also true for Carey Price, or you meant his career stats per league are always sub .900 which is false, his total AHL numbers aren't sub .900 and it seems likely that his NHL numbers will hit .900 very soon as he's just a hair below it now.

But your right re-signing him only makes sense if the money/term is right. We will almost certainly need and want the modern two goalie system. Monty can be a part of that, and it's honestly kind of normal for that to be in the 3-4m range that he's asking. So I feel like term is probably the bigger holdup.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
He could bee the perfect "stop gap" with a decent 3 year deal until someone like Fowler is ready (hopefully).
Three years at $3-3.5 million I think is really fair for him. It’s the term I’d want them to stay firm on.

Reactions: Tyson

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Saying he's been sub .900 in every league is misleading, now I'm not sure if you meant he's had seasons with a sub .900 save percentage in every league which is fairly normal and also true for Carey Price, or you meant his career stats per league are always sub .900 which is false, his total AHL numbers aren't sub .900 and it seems likely that his NHL numbers will hit .900 very soon as he's just a hair below it now.

But your right re-signing him only makes sense if the money/term is right. We will almost certainly need and want the modern two goalie system. Monty can be a part of that, and it's honestly kind of normal for that to be in the 3-4m range that he's asking. So I feel like term is probably the bigger holdup.
In the AHL, he has 3 seasons below .900 with one season where he was at a .918 with just an 11 game sample size. But you’re right, context does matter. I remember Panthers fans being upset about losing him so the stats could be misleading. There definitely could be some missing context on my part only using only statistics.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In the AHL, he has 3 seasons below .900 with one season where he was at a .918 with just an 11 game sample size. But you’re right, context does matter. I remember Panthers fans being upset about losing him so the stats could be misleading. There definitely could be some missing context on my part only using only statistics.
The first time I realized stats could be misleading was seeing Patrick Roy's junior stats.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The first time I realized stats could be misleading was seeing Patrick Roy's junior stats.
When it comes to goalies, they definitely can. Especially nowadays with the fancy stats. Anybody whose been on this forum for awhile knows how hard I went to bat for Price for this exact thing his final 4-5 years in the league when posters would attack him and put the teams problems on him. But there is a large body work with Montembault with mediocre stats without ever showing a next level that makes me nervous about committing long term to him.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When it comes to goalies, they definitely can. Especially nowadays with the fancy stats. Anybody whose been on this forum for awhile knows how hard I went to bat for Price for this exact thing his final 4-5 years in the league when posters would attack him and put the teams problems on him. But there is a large body work with Montembault with mediocre stats without ever showing a next level that makes me nervous about committing long term to him.
You make valid points for sure and you could be right regarding Monty. Myself I have seen a huge improvement from his first game. He has played on a bottom 5 team from day one and it's hard to truly know what his upside is.

I do know that I trust him way more than Allen or Primeau.

One thing I have also noticed is he never seems to get rattled. He gave up the first goal against Boston after 36 seconds and was lights out after that.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Add up all his AHL games and you'll find his totals are not sub .900. The fact that it only needed 11 games at .918 to get his career numbers to .900 also shows how close his sub .900 seasons weren't actually bad, they were for all intents and purposes .900.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I'd be down with a Jake Allen for Warren Foegele and Connor Brown + a top 5 protected 1st. EDM gets a solid goalie, get out of paying Brown's bonus next year and rid of Foegele to roughly equivalent cap hits for this season. MTL we get a 1st and out from under Allen's contract next year, which helps us defray Montembeault's next contract.

Just an idea.

p.s. both Foegele and Brown's contracts are expiring.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I wouldn’t say goaltending is the most difficult hole to fill. Elite goalies are hard to come by and teams usually never trade them if they have them much like top line centres and D. But Montembault isn’t that. We literally got him off waivers. Goaltending shouldn’t be a position we struggle to fill unless we have boneheads running our team that can’t access talent when it comes to the position like Edmonton and Toronto.
Even the solid, reliable caliber of starting goalie has become hard to find. Carolina, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, probably a few more... teams either in or beginning their competitive window that could use someone like Montembeault. Our window presumably opens in two/three years; how confident are we that we'll have someone better than Monty when we need it? As you said, elite goalies have become rare, which has increased the value of average ones.

We may have gotten very lucky with Montembeault. We got him for 'free' and expected nothing, but he's developed into a potential legit starter, at least a 1B. He's just now entering his prime, having already weathered the load playing behind a lottery team. There's potential for more. I'm sure GMs have taken note. So should we.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think they should sign Montembeault long term, 3 years or so. Between 3-4 million. He just turned 26 a month ago. Which is young for a goalie. Has a .908% save percentage playing with rookie defense. On good defensive team he's .920 goalie. Our defense is going to mature.

In 3 years our goalie prospects be getting close. A .920, 29 year old goalie making 3.5 million. Montembeault could be worth a ton then.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
One of the issues with the three goalie system is that you can't assess anyone properly because you don't end up giving the ball to anyone to see how they run with it.

Goalies are hard enough to figure out on a year to year basis, let alone a random start basis in the same year.

I'm sure all three guys are good teammates, but deep down, I'd also bet they are all pissed off at this situation.

So the three goalie system doesn't help anybody involved. If the Habs are struggling to figure out which road to take.... Time is up. It's time to come to a decision, and then you can get back to trying to get a more reasonable assessment on what you have in net, and go from there.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Even the solid, reliable caliber of starting goalie has become hard to find. Carolina, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, probably a few more... teams either in or beginning their competitive window that could use someone like Montembeault. Our window presumably opens in two/three years; how confident are we that we'll have someone better than Monty when we need it? As you said, elite goalies have become rare, which has increased the value of average ones.

We may have gotten very lucky with Montembeault. We got him for 'free' and expected nothing, but he's developed into a potential legit starter, at least a 1B. He's just now entering his prime, having already weathered the load playing behind a lottery team. There's potential for more. I'm sure GMs have taken note. So should we.
He's also made for Montreal boiler. The guy is in his own bubble and doesn't care.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting stat brought up by Lavoie on BPM Sports this morning. At 5v5, Monty is first in the league in GAA and SV%. He's only allowed 11 even strength goals against this year. He said at 5v5, his GAA is below 2 and his SV% is like .948 or somewhere around there.

And in the advanced stat Expected Goals Against Saved, he's Top-3 in the league behind only Demko and Sorokin.

He's also made for Montreal boiler. The guy is in his own bubble and doesn't care.

He definitely is.

But in all honesty, all three of Allen, Monty, and Primeau look well prepared for this market. Neither is fiery or hot headed. All three are cool, calm, and collected individuals. In Monty's case, the fact he's a Québécois adds a little more pressure on him, and he's handling it masterfully.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting stat brought up by Lavoie on BPM Sports this morning. At 5v5, Monty is first in the league in GAA and SV%. He's only allowed 11 even strength goals against this year. He said at 5v5, his GAA is below 2 and his SV% is like .948 or somewhere around there.

And in the advanced stat Expected Goals Against Saved, he's Top-3 in the league behind only Demko and Sorokin.

He definitely is.

But in all honesty, all three of Allen, Monty, and Primeau look well prepared for this market. Neither is fiery or hot headed. All three are cool, calm, and collected individuals. In Monty's case, the fact he's a Québécois adds a little more pressure on him, and he's handling it masterfully.

Time to trade him!

• Haha
Reactions: rik schau

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
if News people found this out, you can be sure his agent too. Rumors of him looking for 4+M/per is not gona go away. The question will remains, did he show that he's worth that and what is the impact on the cap moving forward?
So does he have better value in a trade or to keep?? one G must go. I would prefer Allen, but he may not be tradable

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
if News people found this out, you can be sure his agent too. Rumors of him looking for 4+M/per is not gona go away. The question will remains, did he show that he's worth that and what is the impact on the cap moving forward?
So does he have better value in a trade or to keep?? one G must go. I would prefer Allen, but he may not be tradable
4 mill plus for Monty? That’s peanuts. Pay the man. I’ve been telling you guys for years that he’s steadily been improving every game and that he’d be our starter. Very few were convinced.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
4 mill plus for Monty? That’s peanuts. Pay the man. I’ve been telling you guys for years that he’s steadily been improving every game and that he’d be our starter. Very few were convinced.
I am convinced and he needs to be extended. He is a good goalie. Nothing rattles him. He gives up a bad goal to Laine but it didn't phase him, that's the type of goalie you need in Montreal.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He's the most underated player on this team in my opinion. He's developping into a real no 1 but people are stuck with their opinion that he's a backup at best.
Some are just waiting that he falter so they can say they were right. I thought he has performed reliably since he was healthy and that first season was a total shitshow from everyone and they kept playing him when he was injured.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I am convinced and he needs to be extended. He is a good goalie. Nothing rattles him. He gives up a bad goal to Laine but it didn't phase him, that's the type of goalie you need in Montreal.
Even on that one, I think Laine mishandled it and it went off the heel of his stick. Monty was expecting something else. I wouldn’t fault him too much on that one.

Some are just waiting that he falter so they can say they were right. I thought he has performed reliably since he was healthy and that first season was a total shitshow from everyone and they kept playing him when he was injured.
Agreed. I don’t see him faltering though. He’s actually been getting better as time goes on. It’s so hard because the team D is brutal.

He's the most underated player on this team in my opinion. He's developping into a real no 1 but people are stuck with their opinion that he's a backup at best.
Him and Evan’s I’d say.

Reactions: Tyson and rik schau

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
Even on that one, I think Laine mishandled it and it went off the heel of his stick. Monty was expecting something else. I wouldn’t fault him too much on that one.

Agreed. I don’t see him faltering though. He’s actually been getting better as time goes on. It’s so hard because the team D is brutal.

Him and Evan’s I’d say.
Looked like Laine fanned imo.

Reactions: schwang26 and Tyson

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He was 2 W 14 L at some point that first year lol... and he had become one of my favorite habs during it

Like others have said, it's his ability to get over quick or bad goals AND his ability to battle until the end of games
Just really like the guy, hope he stays a bit longer

(4 million is a bit much tho..)

Reactions: rik schau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad