Sale of the Atlanta Gladiators

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Your team website link yielded a blank frame for me; same problem with the link from their "News" list page. Here's the story of the sale from the GDP: Atlanta Gladiators sold to Virginia-based businessman

Always a risk of the franchise relocating when an out-of-town owner takes over. And if reports of the Gladiators' fan support waning are true, it makes a move more likely. I will assume (for hopefulness) that Mr. Olrich has inherited the remaining year on the arena lease. If so, this story has a lot more twists & turns ahead.

One possible purchase motive that popped into my head raises a question: Who currently owns the Infinite Energy Arena? When a real estate developer buys a minor league team, it might be part of a plan to purchase the facility they play in. That way, he's got a major tenant to anchor some dates in his building.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Through recent years there has been conflict between the team and the arena. Waning fan support could be partially contributed to the fact that the arena has not given the Gladiators as many weekend dates as it has in the past. As far as I know the one year on the lease does carry over.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Your team website link yielded a blank frame for me; same problem with the link from their "News" list page. Here's the story of the sale from the GDP: Atlanta Gladiators sold to Virginia-based businessman

Always a risk of the franchise relocating when an out-of-town owner takes over. And if reports of the Gladiators' fan support waning are true, it makes a move more likely. I will assume (for hopefulness) that Mr. Olrich has inherited the remaining year on the arena lease. If so, this story has a lot more twists & turns ahead.

One possible purchase motive that popped into my head raises a question: Who currently owns the Infinite Energy Arena? When a real estate developer buys a minor league team, it might be part of a plan to purchase the facility they play in. That way, he's got a major tenant to anchor some dates in his building.

According to Wikipedia (I know not the most reliable), the arena is owned by Gwinnett County

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Through recent years there has been conflict between the team and the arena. Waning fan support could be partially contributed to the fact that the arena has not given the Gladiators as many weekend dates as it has in the past. As far as I know the one year on the lease does carry over.

There was also their last playoff run a few years back where games 1 and 2 were played in Gwinnett and then the rest of the series was played in Cincinnati even though the Gladiators were I think the designated "home" team for like game 5 or so.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
There was also their last playoff run a few years back where games 1 and 2 were played in Gwinnett and then the rest of the series was played in Cincinnati even though the Gladiators were I think the designated "home" team for like game 5 or so.
They had to play the later home games in Cincinnati because Disney on Ice was in town. If the Gladiators had made the playoffs in any of the last four years they would’ve had the same problem in the first round. This season Disney replaced circus dates earlier in the year. The Everblades are facing the same problem this season.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
They had to play the later home games in Cincinnati because Disney on Ice was in town. If the Gladiators had made the playoffs in any of the last four years they would’ve had the same problem in the first round. This season Disney replaced circus dates earlier in the year. The Everblades are facing the same problem this season.
Fans were none to happy about it, I mean you'd think the primary tenant of the building would take precedent over something that's only in town once a year.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Not really. Buildings will take guaranteed dates booked over tentative. Arenas operate as businesses as well and can't hold the arena for a maybe. Also, they can't risk pissing off these shows and losing their slot on the annual schedules. If you say, "sorry, we can't accommodate you," the show organizers will take you out of their rotation and fine someone else.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Not really. Buildings will take guaranteed dates booked over tentative. Arenas operate as businesses as well and can't hold the arena for a maybe. Also, they can't risk pissing off these shows and losing their slot on the annual schedules. If you say, "sorry, we can't accommodate you," the show organizers will take you out of their rotation and fine someone else.
Exactly. The team likely has the option to reserve those dates, but if they do they have to pay the arena to use the dates, even if they don't have games. Nobody is happy about it, but it happens in one city or another almost every year. Teams can't take the risk of booking the dates far enough in advance, because they don't know if they will make the playoffs, or if they do, what dates they will need. Arena operators can't take the risk of leaving dates open that they have the option to fill, "just in case" the team needs them.

Reactions: 210

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The 1973 AHL Calder Cup Champion Cincinnati Swords played all of their final series "home games" in Buffalo, NY due to a conflict with, of course, a Circus which had booked the Cincinnati Gardens. The Swords were affiliated with the Buffalo Sabres.

Sad note. The Cincinnati Gardens is now a pile of rubble. About 2 weeks ago, demolition started on the building which opened in 1949. At the time, it was the seventh largest seating capacity indoor facility in North America.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Ted Turner should have bought the team, since his dream of bringing the NHL back to the city failed in the end (and so ECHL would have been the next best thing).
I'll ask nicely, before someone else asks otherwise: How did you conclude that an ECHL team would be "the next best thing" to an NHL team for Mr. Turner to own? :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad