Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nothing’s wrong with it in a vacuum but....look at all the young legs helping the Caps right now play stifling defense...I think there should be a mix of players and right now we have quite a lot that are 30+ and some of our best players...Sid, G, Phil, Horny, Letang, Brass,...and other players that have played a lot of hockey....we need more youth imo as we’re not well stocked in the AHL anymore with players to bring up as reinforcements....

I think it more so depends on what position you're talking about. Up front? Yeah I don't really disagree. Mind you it would also have to be someone special to make much sense for us to sign a forward who's not young. But on the blueline? Young legs wasn't the issue for us there - stability was. And that usually only comes with experience.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd rather have Calvert at around 2 than Sheary at 3 in the bottom 6.

Naturally. But I've (personally) pretty much accepted the fact that Sheary will likely (hopefully?) be traded this summer. So I do not really compare the two. For me, it's more so about whether I think we can afford (specifically beyond next season) to spend 2m+ for someone to be on the 4th line (and who's not a C).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We already have one of the most expensive blue lines in the league and it’s honestly pretty average. I want to see a shake up back there. Probably won’t happen but I think it’s something worth exploring.

I agree, but I just don't think we're going to see that based on what Yohe said. I keep mentioning Del Zotto, but I really like the option because Del Zotto has been a pretty solid #4 defenseman for a couple of years now. It's not a huge "shake up", but adding him gives the Penguins some nice flexibility with their defense.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Naturally. But I've (personally) pretty much accepted the fact that Sheary will likely (hopefully?) be traded this summer. So I do not really compare the two. For me, it's more so about whether I think we can afford (specifically beyond next season) to spend 2m+ for someone to be on the 4th line (and who's not a C).
I don't think 2m is too much for a bottom 6 that can also PK. He doesn't have to be cemented to the 4th line. Also, just because Sheary is traded, doesn't mean it has to be for a now player.it could be for a pick and prospect and frees up money. On the left side you'd have Guentzel, Hags, Calvert, and TK.

Guentz - Crosby - Horny
Hags - Malkin - Sprong
Calvert - Brassard - Kessel
TK - Sheahan - Rust

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I love kicking around all these awesome ideas.

But honestly all I'm really hoping for is for JR to trim some of the fat and find guys that have some abilities we lack on the team that will mesh well.

While at the same time making sure they dont disrupt the mojo in the dojo too much.

Whatever he has to do to make it happen, and whomever those players are.

Let's make it happen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think 2m is too much for a bottom 6 that can also PK. He doesn't have to be cemented to the 4th line. Also, just because Sheary is traded, doesn't mean it has to be for a now player.it could be for a pick and prospect and frees up money. On the left side you'd have Guentzel, Hags, Calvert, and TK.

Guentz - Crosby - Horny
Hags - Malkin - Sprong
Calvert - Brassard - Kessel
TK - Sheahan - Rust

No he doesn't have to be cemented there. But if he's not, then as you showed, Rust likely is. And Rust will make just as much, if not more then Calvert. Not the end of the world, but I'm not really too interested in finding a way to push Rust to the 4th line.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
To anybody that thinks some added depth on defense is going to solve our blueline problems...please explain to me how this will prevent Letang from making stupid decisions in danger areas at critical times, because that was a running problem this year and what swung the series in the Caps' favour. And if your answer is that added blueline depth will cut down on his mistakes because it will actually convince the coaching staff to reduce his minutes:

latest

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To anybody that thinks some added depth on defense is going to solve our blueline problems...please explain to me how this will prevent Letang from making stupid decisions in danger areas at critical times, because that was a running problem this year and what swung the series in the Caps' favour. And if your answer is that added blueline depth will cut down on his mistakes because it will actually convince the coaching staff to reduce his minutes:

latest

Here's another thought, there isn't a correction for Letang's blunders and the only way to fix them is for Letang to play better. The team just isn't trading Letang, so it's not even really worth discussing.

Reactions: Riptide

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

latest
Letang is one of about 15 things that swung the series in the Caps favor. At worst I put him tied in 2nd through 4th with Murray and Maatta who both gave away just as many bad goals. And that's assuming you count "depth scoring" as 1 item at the top of the list instead of listing all of Kessel, Brassard, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, Sheahan, Simon, and Kuhn separately.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Brass isn't the guy we'd have to move out for JT. Brass carries a tiny cap hit for us remember.

Obviously if the impossible happened and we got JT one of him or Brass would be a winger.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Here's another thought, there isn't a correction for Letang's blunders and the only way to fix them is for Letang to play better. The team just isn't trading Letang, so it's not even really worth discussing.

Just so long as people know what the problem is. If we stick our collective heads in the sand afterward because we understand the team is too committed to Letang to explore the idea, so be it.

Letang is one of about 15 things that swung the series in the Caps favor. At worst I put him tied in 2nd through 4th with Murray and Maatta who both gave away just as many bad goals. And that's assuming you count "depth scoring" as 1 item at the top of the list instead of listing all of Kessel, Brassard, Hagelin, Rust, Sheary, Sheahan, Simon, and Kuhn separately.

I just fundamentally disagree with the premise that Murray and Maatta were as much to blame for this playoff loss as Letang. Their mistakes weren't as frequent, pronounced or indefensible as Letang's were.

In an elimination game where we were up 3-2, he makes a play in the first minute of the 3rd period which directly led to a goal against that was so stupid I'm still having trouble processing it. Where the hell did he think he was going? There's nothing remotely comparable to that play on Murray or Maatta's blooper reel these playoffs. Then as an encore to that shit-show, he just completely ignores Vrana on what should have been a routine 2-on-2 if he simply acknowledged that there was another player in plain sight. Again, neither of these plays have any analog with Murray or Maatta in terms of magnitude or sheer incompetence. And again, it was in the most important game of the year.

Depth scoring was an issue, but the best on that list were clearly dealing with injuries and the worst value-for-money forward remaining is pretty much understood to be heading out this summer. Letang isn't.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In an elimination game where we were up 3-2, he makes a play in the first minute of the 3rd period which directly led to a goal against that was so stupid I'm still having trouble processing it. Where the hell did he think he was going? There's nothing remotely comparable to that play on Murray or Maatta's blooper reel these playoffs.
Yep, awful play.
Then as an encore to that ****-show, he just completely ignores Vrana on what should have been a routine 2-on-2 if he simply acknowledged that there was another player in plain sight. Again, neither of these plays have any analog with Murray or Maatta in terms of magnitude or sheer incompetence. And again, it was in the most important game of the year
The 1st goal in game 6 and Maatta's turnover to lose game 3 were both far worse from Murray and Maatta respectively than Letang getting beat by Vrana. Maatta's is closer to Letang leaving Kuzy open than it is to Letang losing Vrana. It was a completely idiotic play.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I haven't really focused on some of these guys much this yr but glancing over the UFA list. I also know Hamhuis is long in the tooth... But are any of these guys worth a look as depth D?

Sustr
Hamhuis
J. Johnson
Holden

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Spending 2 million on Calvert guys, really? Scrub has a decent first round and suddenly we need to Shell out for him for 2/3 what Sheary makes?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just so long as people know what the problem is. If we stick our collective heads in the sand afterward because we understand the team is too committed to Letang to explore the idea, so be it.

I don't think trading Letang is really a solution to Letang's issues, either. At best, you're getting a guy that isn't even close to as good as Letang when he's playing well. The best solution the Penguins have with Letang is to just hope Letang turns it around himself, they really don't have many good options with him. It's either trade him for a **** return and get back someone who is worse than a struggling Letang or keep him and hope he rebounds.

I really don't get why people think trading Letang makes any sense. The only situations where trading Letang makes sense are extremely unlikely to happen. You either need to get a better defenseman, a young top-4 defenseman that has a higher upside than Letang or 2 cheaper top-4 defenseman on par with Schultz or Dumoulin.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think trading Letang is really a solution to Letang's issues, either. At best, you're getting a guy that isn't even close to as good as Letang when he's playing well. The best solution the Penguins have with Letang is to just hope Letang turns it around himself, they really don't have many good options with him. It's either trade him for a **** return and get back someone who is worse than a struggling Letang or keep him and hope he rebounds.
This is it. Even if Letang plays like he did this year, he makes us a better team than most of the solutions being suggested. Add in the chance of him rebounding and it's pretty much a no-brainer that we'll keep him.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
As far as LW my goodness the cupboard is bare. Besides the top 3ish which will be too rich for our blood.

Besides Calvert....

Did B. Pouliot ever find his game again?

I dk much about Roussell.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is it. Even if Letang plays like he did this year, he makes us a better team than most of the solutions being suggested. Add in the chance of him rebounding and it's pretty much a no-brainer that we'll keep him.

This is exactly it. I editted this into my original post, but I'll reiterate it here. In order for trading Letang to make sense, you have to do one of these 3:

1. Get a better defenseman for Letang, aka Doughty or Karlsson
2. Get a young top-4 RD with huge upside for Letang, someone like Ekblad although I really doubt Florida moves Ekblad
3. Get 2 solid #3s who make the same in total as Letang, something like a package of Gardiner and Zaitsev

I can't think of a single team that would give up any of these for Letang.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yep, awful play.

The 1st goal in game 6 and Maatta's turnover to lose game 3 were both far worse from Murray and Maatta respectively than Letang getting beat by Vrana. Maatta's is closer to Letang leaving Kuzy open than it is to Letang losing Vrana. It was a completely idiotic play.

Not a chance. Murray was following the play and exactly where he should have been, he simply failed in the execution and didn't seal up properly. Maatta's giveaway in Game 3 was at the opposition center dot and he would have had ample time and opportunity to get back into the play had Wilson not slewfooted him.

Letang's mistakes had neither of these mitigating factors. His errors were pure inability to make fundamental hockey plays that are usually ironed out at much lower levels. He has a problem with processing the game.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yep, awful play.

The play by Vrana was simply a very good play by him. Letang was in the right position, but Vrana made an instinctive play to cut to the near side post and the shot came off Murray’s pad right to Vrana.

That goal was on Rust who was the F1, but he stopped moving his feet and didn’t get to where he was suppose to go. If he wasn’t drifting and moved his feet, he is there to grab that rebound or tie up Vrana’s stick.

Rust literally drifted from the blueline all the way in. None of us watching the game knew wth he was doing there.

But ya, again, Letang or something.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I really don't get why people think trading Letang makes any sense. The only situations where trading Letang makes sense are extremely unlikely to happen. You either need to get a better defenseman, a young top-4 defenseman that has a higher upside than Letang or 2 cheaper top-4 defenseman on par with Schultz or Dumoulin.

We should be rigorously exploring all of these options, and I don't think they're pie-in-the sky either. There are two prominent examples of the first option that are likely to be dealt this year. We have a lot of assets to use that could land them.

And frankly, I'd rather pay Karlsson or Doughty 11-12 mil per and re-organize our cap structure than deal with Letang's Keystone Kops routine for the next half-decade. He's not gonna be getting smarter or more durable as he ages.

Reactions: KIRK

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not a chance. Murray was following the play and exactly where he should have been, he simply failed in the execution and didn't seal up properly. Maatta's giveaway in Game 3 was at the opposition center dot and he would have had ample time and opportunity to get back into the play had Wilson not slewfooted him.

Letang's mistakes had neither of these mitigating factors. His errors were pure inability to make fundamental hockey plays that are usually ironed out at much lower levels. He has a problem with processing the game.
Defending that play from maatta is completely ridiculous. He blew a game every bit as badly as letang, but did way less to help us win any games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad