Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | I like to do just like the rest, I like my sugar sweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Ok.

I had no idea because i remember his bonus was based on how far the wild went in the playoffs, i didn't know that the bonus would also apply to the team he was traded for.

It is but I’d assume that transfers over. I don’t know for sure. I wonder if it’s ever happened before

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
If they get Cullen, I think Sheahan would stay at 3C. My guess is they would go after a LW rather than a straight center...there will be more options at wing to trade for too...
I don’t think JR is satisfied with Sheahan, but I wonder if bringing in Cullen does? He was fine with Bonino and Cullen the last 2 years and Sheahan as been looking good.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I don’t think JR is satisfied with Sheahan, but I wonder if bringing in Cullen does? He was fine with Bonino and Cullen the last 2 years and Sheahan as been looking good.

It comes down to the scoring thing. If we got Cullen and some 4th line winger who could score then it isn’t so bad. We can’t have 4 or 5 of our bottom 6 who cant score. 1 or 2 is ok if they bring other attributes

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If I had to make a baseless guess, I'd say this would be the progression if the Penguins traded for Cullen:

1. Penguins add Cullen for probably Rowney or Kuhnhackl (or a late round pick), 3C is Sheahan and 4C is Cullen
2. The Penguins wait it out with Sheahan to see if he can continueplaying at a good 3C level/develop into a good 3C. If he does, they keep him as the 3C and the Penguins don't make any other moves.
3. If Sheahan doesn't cut it as the 3C, I think he gets traded in the package for the actual 3C solution. His $2 million in salary would allow the Penguins much more flexibility in a trade to bring in a great 3C.

Reactions: Heliarclee

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Just makes us wonder what will we do in the meantime? Get another center? Who knows.

As mentioned in my other post start by getting some scoring wingers in the bottom 6. Rowney would be better and ok ish until Dad comes home

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I would be OK with Cullen provided he is the 2nd best forward we bring in. Cullen can play C or LW, he can PK, he can play late in games where we are nursing a lead, he is a missed veteran and him coming back would be great for the mentality of the team. But I would want another center as well. Preferable one that can also play wing, like Eakin. Those 2 may not cost a lot to acquire and we would not have to move much salary if any.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If I had to make a baseless guess, I'd say this would be the progression if the Penguins traded for Cullen:

1. Penguins add Cullen for probably Rowney or Kuhnhackl (or a late round pick), 3C is Sheahan and 4C is Cullen
2. The Penguins wait it out with Sheahan to see if he can continueplaying at a good 3C level/develop into a good 3C. If he does, they keep him as the 3C and the Penguins don't make any other moves.
3. If Sheahan doesn't cut it as the 3C, I think he gets traded in the package for the actual 3C solution. His $2 million in salary would allow the Penguins much more flexibility in a trade to bring in a great 3C.

Makes common sense so not entirely baseless. Seems like a good plan of attack.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would be OK with Cullen provided he is the 2nd best forward we bring in. Cullen can play C or LW, he can PK, he can play late in games where we are nursing a lead, he is a missed veteran and him coming back would be great for the mentality of the team. But I would want another center as well. Preferable one that can also play wing, like Eakin. Those 2 may not cost a lot to acquire and we would not have to move much salary if any.

Cullen can be used in late game defensive draws as well.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

This would be an interesting flip. I think hes definitely shown himself to be a capable 3C here, so a team not in contention may see him as a building block if hed agree to an extension. Off the top of my head I cant think of any bottom half teams who have an upgrade on 3C or a weak 2C theyd be willing to trade though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, I think it should be noted that McKenzie almost never speculates without a basis to make the claims. Remember the Schultz contract talks where he tweeted out "I wouldn't be surprised for Schultz to be looking at a short term, high money deal"? Literally 5 minutes later, the Schultz deal was signed.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

He brings the leadership in the locker room that this team needs.

Crosby's formative years as a leader never came to fruition...at least not in the room. Instead we had blowhards like Orpik and Adams dictating things and calling players out. They might as well have been straight-up poison to Sid.

Lets also not forget that the big-guns on this team are all introverts except for Geno. The problem with him being "the guy" on this team is the language barrier.

The "lead by example" mantra only goes so far in professional sports.

Matt Cullen should be welcome with open arms here if we have the chance to get him.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

That was Bobby Mac tweet on Friday October 20th.

Sheahan got traded to the pens the next day on a Saturday.

Bobby Mac knew the trade was going to happen, it wasn't a coincidence.

Reactions: Shaffer

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

That was Bobby Mac tweet on Friday October 20th.

Sheahan got traded to the pens the next day on a Saturday.

Bobby Mac knew the trade was going to happen, it wasn't a coincidence.

I just wonder what Cullen will cost. A 4th maybe?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
The Wild are at the 50 contract max right now, they probably wouldn't want a player back in return in case they need a open contract sometime later in the season.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If he wanted to be here he could have, he chose MIN. Hopefully we won't be pursuing that anymore. I'm hopeful JR has his sights set much higher.

People can change their minds. Maybe he didn’t choose the wild and it was to please the wife. It’s not working out. JR won’t get a better 4C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad