Saguinetti, Mitera, Wishart, Fisher, Vishenvky, Summers and Willaims

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I think Chris Summers is awfully underrated and could be the gem of all the defensemen in this draft. He's probably the best skater of the bunch and has the meanest streak out of the group. I could see him being another Keith Ballard-type defenseman, and if there was ever a rookie defenseman that went practically unnoticed this year, Ballard was it. I still think he had the hit of the year on that hit he laid out Richard Park with.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nah, he just has this weird bias against most CHL players and especially Sanguinetti.

It has nothing to do with hockey talent, he just doesn't like the guy, so he says he can't play D.

:dunno:

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

I've seen the kid play since he was really young. Don't tell me I have some percieved "bias". I've watched him play for years now -- a hell of a lot more than you have.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think Chris Summers is awfully underrated and could be the gem of all the defensemen in this draft. He's probably the best skater of the bunch and has the meanest streak out of the group. I could see him being another Keith Ballard-type defenseman, and if there was ever a rookie defenseman that went practically unnoticed this year, Ballard was it. I still think he had the hit of the year on that hit he laid out Richard Park with.

The one thing with Summers that no one really acknowledges IS his mean streak. The thing that goes unnoticed about that is that he doesn't freak out and lose his cool so that makes people think that he doesn't have that meanness in him. It's completely false. He brings the mean on the ice and leaves it after the whistle. Not to say that he will back down easy, but he won't make stupid plays.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
The one thing with Summers that no one really acknowledges IS his mean streak. The thing that goes unnoticed about that is that he doesn't freak out and lose his cool so that makes people think that he doesn't have that meanness in him. It's completely false. He brings the mean on the ice and leaves it after the whistle. Not to say that he will back down easy, but he won't make stupid plays.

Oh he's like a pitbull. The other thing with Summers is that he knows how to pick his spots. He doesn't need to skate around and smash into everything. That's the one thing with all those young defensemen that like to bang. They don't pick their spots real well and they often get taken out of the play. Summers has incredible intelligence and that cannot be overlooked. Johnson may have size and Sanguinetti may have offensive ability, but I'll take Summers over both of them any day simply because of his intelligence.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Oh he's like a pitbull. The other thing with Summers is that he knows how to pick his spots. He doesn't need to skate around and smash into everything. That's the one thing with all those young defensemen that like to bang. They don't pick their spots real well and they often get taken out of the play. Summers has incredible intelligence and that cannot be overlooked. Johnson may have size and Sanguinetti may have offensive ability, but I'll take Summers over both of them any day simply because of his intelligence.

I wouldn't go as far as taking him over EJ, as EJ is just as smart if not smarter than Summers on the ice.

But I'd probably take him ahead of everyone else if I had a gun to my head.

I'm also fairly sure that Fischer will be around his level as well from what I've seen of his games.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's probably the best skater of the bunch and has the meanest streak out of the group.

the funny thing is that I've heard almost every highly thought of defenseman in this draft called "the best skater". Summers, Sanguinetti, Fisher, Vishnevsky, etc.

either this is a great draft year for skating defenseman, or a lot of people haven't seen nearly enough of these players to make those kinds of calls.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
the funny thing is that I've heard almost every highly thought of defenseman in this draft called "the best skater". Summers, Sanguinetti, Fisher, Vishnevsky, etc.

either this is a great draft year for skating defenseman, or a lot of people haven't seen nearly enough of these players to make those kinds of calls.

Summers IS a great skater, though. He has a great first step and a very fluid stride. He's also EXTREMELY strong on his feet.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I have Fischer as the Marc Staal of this draft. When his next season is done he is going to have potential to be a top pairing defenseman, or near that.

burgundynblue

Aug 7, 2005
Offensive upside:

1. Sanguinetti
2. Vishnevsky
3. Fischer
4. Williams
5. Summers
6. Wishart
7. Mitera

Defensive upside:

1. Wishart
2. Summers
3. Williams
4. Mitera
5. Fischer
6. Sanguinetti
7. Vishnevsky

Overall potential:

1. Summers
2. Williams
3. Sanguinetti
4. Wishart
5. Fischer
6. Vishnevsky
7. Mitera

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I wouldn't go as far as taking him over EJ, as EJ is just as smart if not smarter than Summers on the ice.

But I'd probably take him ahead of everyone else if I had a gun to my head.

I'm also fairly sure that Fischer will be around his level as well from what I've seen of his games.

Didn't think too much of Fischer when we picked him but I saw him a full week at the development camp and though you could see that he's extremely raw, you saw that tremendous upside some people are talking about lately. So skill wise, and though I didn't see Summers that much, like once or twice, I have no problem thinking he'll reach that level.

But I would be the first one surprised if he ever reach somewhat of a mean streak, I just don't see that much aggressivity in him. He'll beat you with his intelligence on the ice not by ramming people on the boards. Though there was pratically no contact at the development camp, you could see that he was close to unbeatable one on one but not with his physique but more with his understanding of the game.

Though, if people could come and say how far from the reality I am, I would be please to hear that. But the kid has some serious filling to do.....

TIGER1987

Apr 20, 2006
. But the kid has some serious filling to do.....

The heard through the grapevine, from a reliable source, that Fischer weighed in at 195 pounds at the US evaluation camp, so it appears he has worked hard this summer to beef up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
But I would be the first one surprised if he ever reach somewhat of a mean streak, I just don't see that much aggressivity in him. He'll beat you with his intelligence on the ice not by ramming people on the boards. Though there was pratically no contact at the development camp, you could see that he was close to unbeatable one on one but not with his physique but more with his understanding of the game.

I never said that Fischer was a mean, nasty player. You took what I said completely out of context.

Just that he'd be around Summers' level skill wise in the end.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
The heard through the grapevine, from a reliable source, that Fischer weighed in at 195 pounds at the US evaluation camp, so it appears he has worked hard this summer to beef up.

That's nice to hear.

I don't know if he looks like he's done growing, but it appears he could play in the NHL somewhere around 6'4" and 205 pounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad