Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Creighton Snyder

• Erik Gustafsson

• Total voters

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Brodzinski is top of my list... But it's not just about a specific player playing well. Brodzinski is probably just a contract move at this point along with futures.

It's about the team negotiating from a position of strength rather than every other GM knowing that we NEED a top 6 forward within the next 48 hours as the deadline approaches.

I'm a big fan of getting your deadline deals done as early as possible. Especially when you know the holes, but the team is playing well.
Brodzinski for Kakko and we get to keep playing Brodzinski for as long as necessary. Call it in.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
Brodzinski is top of my list... But it's not just about a specific player playing well. Brodzinski is probably just a contract move at this point along with futures.

It's about the team negotiating from a position of strength rather than every other GM knowing that we NEED a top 6 forward within the next 48 hours as the deadline approaches.

I'm a big fan of getting your deadline deals done as early as possible. Especially when you know the holes, but the team is playing well.

This can and has backfired before, though. Top teams don't look to change up the room by making a splashy trade. And a pre-deadline acquisition of a top 6 C is very "splashy."

Add to that, with NHL parody (artificially contrived or not), outside of San Jose, Anaheim, Chicago, and Ottawa (maybe CBJ, too, but have to image the Jarmo gets fired when the season is over, and sending the message that it's "over" 35ish games in is a surefire way to get canned), no one is going to be selling for anything short of major premiums.

So unless you see something on one of those rosters that is so enticing that the Rangers should pay a premium to get right now, there is no move to be made. For the record: I don't see anything on those rosters that would be available that I'm paying much at all for, forget a premium, and no top 6 Cs.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
This can and has backfired before, though. Top teams don't look to change up the room by making a splashy trade. And a pre-deadline acquisition of a top 6 C is very "splashy."

Add to that, with NHL parody (artificially contrived or not), outside of San Jose, Anaheim, Chicago, and Ottawa (maybe CBJ, too, but have to image the Jarmo gets fired when the season is over, and sending the message that it's "over" 35ish games in is a surefire way to get canned), no one is going to be selling for anything short of major premiums.

So unless you see something on one of those rosters that is so enticing that the Rangers should pay a premium to get right now, there is no move to be made. For the record: I don't see anything on those rosters that would be available that I'm paying much at all for, forget a premium, and no top 6 Cs.
I take a hard look at Tarasenko on Ottawa.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I took a hard look at his $5M caphit and decided paying a 1st + Othmann + Goodrow and whatever Ottawa would want to dump Goodrow wouldn't be worth it.
Sigh...

You can make the cap work with double retention. It'll probably cost a 3rd pick to get a team to retain if prior years are an indication.

Tarasenko has a NTC which he'd probably waive for the NYR and may limit Ottawas options.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Watching some of these other games tonight, I really want McDavid to get fed up and Trouba his way to the Rangers.

The Oilers run around like headless chickens whether he is on the ice or not, but he still somehow is 1.5PPG for his career. Absolutely amazing talent.
I’ve been hoping the opposite because Im scared of the possibilities of him coming to a different team in the east. Just keep him on that irrelevant goalie tire fire

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
For the first 35 minutes it was great how they protected the house. Best as far back as as I can remember.
Something to build on. Being able to play that way is a great step towards the SCF.
This can't be emphasized enough. Every team needs to be able to play this type of hockey to have success in the POs. The competition is all so good that there are going to be multiple games in every series where the other team is just on it from the drop of the puck. You need to be able to defend against that and convert on your opportunities. It felt like a PO dress rehearsal.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20191127_225602.jpg

IMG_20231231_035330.jpg

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Exactly believe it or not, Sauer is still feeling the effects of the Phaneuf hit and concussion. Considering the fact that his brothers were forced to give up sports around the same age, one could say the family is predisposed to them. Don't know anything about Chytl's family history, but I would err on the side of caution and call it a season, maybe even an NHL career. And I certainly wouldn't bring him back just for the playoffs.
Same for Lindros brothers.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Refs were a joke tonight on both sides. Was watching the game at a bar with no sound and every single penalty they called seemed soft as hell. 2 top teams, let the boys play.
The reasons fans from all sports think refs suck are twofold.

Almost all fans believe their team is getting a raw deal, which obviously is impossible and if someone has never reffed a game they really don't have a clue how difficult it is.

Football is the funniest because almost every single play multiple penalties are committed.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Sigh...

You can make the cap work with double retention. It'll probably cost a 3rd pick to get a team to retain if prior years are an indication.

Tarasenko has a NTC which he'd probably waive for the NYR and may limit Ottawas options.
The hiccup is that Tarasenko 1.0 was excruciating.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
The hiccup is that Tarasenko 1.0 was excruciating.

The hiccup is paying for double retention for 100 days instead of 30 days by trying to execute a trade now. Teams are going to want extra for that.

The hiccup is the Senators admitting the season is lost before they've played 50% of their games after their big expectations is surely not a look the GM is wanting.

The hiccup is paying multiple picks and prospects for a guy who would theoretically bump Wheeler down - who had 55-65 points the last 4 seasons (assuming he would have scored 9 points in 32 games in the short season - he had 46 in 50) for Tarasenko who has trouble staying healthy to the tune of missing an entire full season's worth of games in the last 4 years alone.

The hiccup is the Rangers have $112k in cap space and Tank makes $5M.

The hiccup is teams at the top don't make shake up or splashy trades for top 6 players 35 games into the season because it changes the already successful room AND costs a premium.

Paying extra to get a slightly different and vastly more expensive Wheeler seems like a Rangers thing to do, but doing it right now isn't going to reduce the "deadline" prices, and I'm not paying premiums to two teams for double retention plus whatever they ask for for Tank.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You didn't point out anything. You bloviated about something that happened in 2015 because I had the temerity to say something nice about one of our best-ever players.

Don't argue with me about Kreider. I thought everyone learned that. I'm louder than you and I'm right.

Don't you know the onus is on Kreider to win games by himself.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The hiccup is paying for double retention for 100 days instead of 30 days by trying to execute a trade now. Teams are going to want extra for that.

The hiccup is the Senators admitting the season is lost before they've played 50% of their games after their big expectations is surely not a look the GM is wanting.

The hiccup is paying multiple picks and prospects for a guy who would theoretically bump Wheeler down - who had 55-65 points the last 4 seasons (assuming he would have scored 9 points in 32 games in the short season - he had 46 in 50) for Tarasenko who has trouble staying healthy to the tune of missing an entire full season's worth of games in the last 4 years alone.

The hiccup is the Rangers have $112k in cap space and Tank makes $5M.

The hiccup is teams at the top don't make shake up or splashy trades for top 6 players 35 games into the season because it changes the already successful room AND costs a premium.

Paying extra to get a slightly different and vastly more expensive Wheeler seems like a Rangers thing to do, but doing it right now isn't going to reduce the "deadline" prices, and I'm not paying premiums to two teams for double retention plus whatever they ask for for Tank.
True. But also when you watch him play for your team it is unpleasant.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They looked great, Tampa is not the same team anymore. Great response after the Panthers loss where I thought they still played a good game.

Should be grateful for this team, and not sweat the little things, nothing will ever be perfect.

Dfence033

Nov 24, 2009
Texas
True. But also when you watch him play for your team it is unpleasant.

I thought he was fine. I thought the Rangers paid the premium price last year, and I'm not really looking to do it again (with more) this year for a guy who was "fine."

My original point to that poster was a trade this early doesn't happen for many reasons, but most importantly because very few teams are obvious sellers, and generously including Ottawa this early was the only way to get a  single player worth even entertaining a trade for into the mix. As a result, there is no incentive for a team to trade that type of player for anything short of more than they think they'd get at the deadline. Even more so when you are asking two teams to retain (pay a player to not play for them) for more than 3 times a long as at the deadline. That's not going to be cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad