Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign D Connor Clifton to a 3 year deal worth $10 million ($3.33M AAV)

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Connor Clifton, Buffalo Sabres
Connor Clifton is all gas, no brakes. The 28-year-old right-shot defender is one of the best hitters in the NHL despite standing at 5-foot-11, which will be a welcome addition for a Sabres team that finished 32nd for hits. Even outside of the physicality, he offers a fast skating, aggressive style that meshes well with the Sabres’ game. Of course, that aggressiveness also makes him prone to big mistakes from time to time, but those errors have been fewer and farther between over the last couple of seasons.

Playing on a stacked Bruins team up to this point, Clifton’s mostly been limited to a third-pair role. This could be the year he breaks through as a top-four defenseman, after signing a three-year contract with the Sabres.

Clifton should have the edge on Erik Johnson for earning a second pair role alongside Owen Power. Power is already one of the game’s best young defensemen, and could take another leap as a sophomore, making this a favorable supporting role for Clifton to slide into.

There will be challenges for Clifton. He needs to defend more consistently and while he was strong in a bottom pair role for Boston, there’s always the question of how a player will adjust when he’s no longer sheltered, especially when moving away from one of the best teams in the NHL last season. But Clifton should have the skating and puck-moving chops to handle more responsibility. It’s also worth noting that he played really well in a top pair role alongside Hampus Lindholm at the start of the year when Charlie McAvoy was hurt.

Playing for a head coach who likes his game (Don Granato coached him at the U.S. National Team Development Program), on a team that matches his uptempo playstyle, and likely riding shotgun with one of the brightest young defenders in the game, Clifton will be put in every position to succeed as a top-four defenseman.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Screenshot_20230920_093146_Instagram.jpg

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Holy shit, I missed a big thing. Uh.. good Adams? Not sure what else to say, that’s a big pick up. Right now we’re throwing numbers at the issue, but Clifton is kinda the final piece that makes it all legit- we have a top 4, now, and control the most in-demand position just like the Kings. Got like 6 dudes competing for those final spots- goddamn, the Clifton add makes the depth chart so much better. Half+ of the d move down a slot, f***ing fantastic signing.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Between Granato mentioning the lost points last season by not carrying a one game at a time attitude, and the signings of several playoff warriors (Johnson, Clifton), It’s becoming clear this organization believed it left plenty of points on the table last year. And I personally agree - there were several games where they looked mentally checked out.

I’m excited to see what these new guys bring

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Holy shit, I missed a big thing. Uh.. good Adams? Not sure what else to say, that’s a big pick up. Right now we’re throwing numbers at the issue, but Clifton is kinda the final piece that makes it all legit- we have a top 4, now, and control the most in-demand position just like the Kings. Got like 6 dudes competing for those final spots- goddamn, the Clifton add makes the depth chart so much better. Half+ of the d move down a slot, f***ing fantastic signing.
You didn’t know we signed Clifton? :laugh: must’ve been a shock today

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Does draft kings have any betting odds of Clifton fights vs Krebs fights? Im going 4 Clifton and 2 krebs...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Seemed to do fine in Boston.

Does he suck or just play for a shitty organization and shitty coach with shitty teammates?
I don't know about "sucks" but he was a 3rd RHD in Boston and got benched for most of their playoff series loss to FL. He gets by on playing/hitting above his weight class, but very often wanders out of position. I think a D-man like that going to a new team that's just starting to learn a defensive structure is a bad combo. His energy is off-set by routinely leaving guys open or not forcing them into difficult areas of the ice.

This summer I hope for KA to target a UFA like Pesce, Matt Roy, DeMelo, or maybe Hanifin. Joker can slot down to 3RHD. I know this is like hoping I win the lottery tomorrow though, so...

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00