Pre-Game Talk: Sabres @ Senators thurs night

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was at the game - pretty small crowd.

I have to give props to the DJ and hype man who was trying his gosh-darndest to get a Thursday night Ottawa crowd against Buffalo to loosen up a bit in between periods.

He gets two thumbs up for his dedication and effort alone in the face of bemused apathy. Eventually I think his efforts paid off a bit.

I came into the 2nd period intermission glad that we didn't give one up in the last few minutes of the 2nd but adamant that they had to be ready to weather the initial storm in the 3rd.

They were not ready.

That, I put on the coaching and Boucher, to be honest. Ottawa isn't good enough to think a 3 goal lead is enough. The sleepwalking that took place over the course of the first half of the 3rd was inexcusable.

Thankfully, Anderson was on his game and held the team in it.

Aside from him, obviously Chabot was huge yet again (MVP in my opinion) and I like seeing Colin White rewarded with a goal.

Funny to see Ryan salt away the win after his bad luck delay of game penalty. Still, they just seemed unfocused in that 3rd.

Another funny thing to see was the acknowledgement of Pominville's 1,000th game and the standing O from quite a few Senators fans which is a classy gesture despite the fact that he was both on the giving and receiving end of elimination with the Senators in the playoffs.

To say Ottawa was outplayed throughout the game is disingenuous. For the first two periods, the Sens had a stranglehold on this one.

Reactions: Micklebot

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I see what your saying but the funny thing with CF%, some of our worst players in this stat are actually the vets instead of the kids, while the 'kids' are some of the best.

hxEVfGg.png

Jaros sticks out and I am honestly surprised he's that bad, and he could be one of your examples of young guys as they get accumulated with the league they would improve. Colin White another young guy there but he has been matched up with our 2 worst players alot of time so they are bound to bring him down too. But our worst CF% has been the majority the 'vets' instead.

Not surprisingly you have most of the team's most defensive minded players who also have the highest percentage of defensive zone starts.

Pyatt, Ceci, Harpur, Paajarvi, White, Smith, Borowiecki are all 60-70 dZS%.

All magnified by the fact that this team gives up a lot of shots on goal and therefore concedes a lot of faceoffs in the defensive zone.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not bad. IMO White could easily have a couple more goals with the in tight chances he's had. He has to learn to elevate the puck in close quarters. Getting the chances is a positive at this point.

Last edited:

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Practice lines:

Dzingel Duchene Stone

Pyatt Tierney Ryan

Boedker White Tkachuk

McCormick Paul Pajaarvi

I think given that said player Brady is covering for is a right wing I’m thinking Batherson gets the call.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I see what your saying but the funny thing with CF%, some of our worst players in this stat are actually the vets instead of the kids, while the 'kids' are some of the best.

hxEVfGg.png

Jaros sticks out and I am honestly surprised he's that bad, and he could be one of your examples of young guys as they get accumulated with the league they would improve. Colin White another young guy there but he has been matched up with our 2 worst players alot of time so they are bound to bring him down too. But our worst CF% has been the majority the 'vets' instead.

A big chunk of those players are being heavily deployed in the dzone against top competition. It doesn't create a blanket statement where we can say they all are better than their Corsi, but there needs to be that context observed.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I saw White as a Pageau replacement in that he'd be an excellent two way 30-40 point C who could do the dirty work against other team's best players. It's a short sample size, but he's looking like he might have a legitimate shot at being a top 6 NHL player.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I saw White as a Pageau replacement in that he'd be an excellent two way 30-40 point C who could do the dirty work against other team's best players. It's a short sample size, but he's looking like he might have a legitimate shot at being a top 6 NHL player.
Ya I’m seeing the same thing. Usually after the game I’m left thinking that he’s looked pretty good and could of had a few extra points, which is a really good sign. You can tell he’s getting more comfortable every game.

Reactions: Deku

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Why did they do that. Can you imagine Montreal showing hilites of them being eliminated from the playoffs or any videos of their beloved Captains getting lit up in the most upsetting moment in their career - BRUTAL.

But I’m sure Sabees fans loved it - good job sens keeping the enemy happy

Meh, Buffalo fans are never happy. They cheer for the Bills and Sabres and they live in Buffalo.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was at the game - pretty small crowd.

I have to give props to the DJ and hype man who was trying his gosh-darndest to get a Thursday night Ottawa crowd against Buffalo to loosen up a bit in between periods.

He gets two thumbs up for his dedication and effort alone in the face of bemused apathy. Eventually I think his efforts paid off a bit.

I came into the 2nd period intermission glad that we didn't give one up in the last few minutes of the 2nd but adamant that they had to be ready to weather the initial storm in the 3rd.

They were not ready.

That, I put on the coaching and Boucher, to be honest. Ottawa isn't good enough to think a 3 goal lead is enough. The sleepwalking that took place over the course of the first half of the 3rd was inexcusable.

Thankfully, Anderson was on his game and held the team in it.

Aside from him, obviously Chabot was huge yet again (MVP in my opinion) and I like seeing Colin White rewarded with a goal.

Funny to see Ryan salt away the win after his bad luck delay of game penalty. Still, they just seemed unfocused in that 3rd.

Another funny thing to see was the acknowledgement of Pominville's 1,000th game and the standing O from quite a few Senators fans which is a classy gesture despite the fact that he was both on the giving and receiving end of elimination with the Senators in the playoffs.

To say Ottawa was outplayed throughout the game is disingenuous. For the first two periods, the Sens had a stranglehold on this one.

He was a riot. My section was growing, and i turned to my son and said "Imagine when this is full and on a Saturday night. I really enjoyed it and he was nailing the song selection. Hope they bring him back!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
"Imagine when this is full and on a Saturday night.

Hate to say it, but your son may never see the place full ever again as long as Melnyk is around.

Lajoie lead all senators in TOI with 25:18. Only Formenton is younger than him.

We gotta get Lajoie away from Ceci, he hasn't been the same player since this pairing was made. I expect ups and downs as a young player, but Ceci is just not the right partner for Lajoie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad