Confirmed with Link: Sabres re-sign Captain Kyle Okposo to a 1 year deal worth $2.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I am saying that Adams has been patient and bet on growth from within to this point and he has seen this team grow to be as close to the playoffs as you can be without making them. He also has the vast majority of last season's roster either signed or under team control for next season.

While Adams could change course and be more aggressive in remaking the roster, I am expecting more of the same this offseason given the state of the roster, how last season went, what he has done the past 18 months, and how he has talked publicly since the TDL through this week.
Well, I think the minimum task is the top 4 D.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
We can only judge from rumors, because we don't even know who Adams is negotiating with and for which players. Now the goals are obvious, there is no season of development and evaluation, the off-season, when it is easier to get the right players, because there are many more options, and not just Chychrun and Gavrikov for rent.
My concern is will Pegula spend that extra that can really take the roster over the top.

I will be watching the Olofsson trade closely. He's a $4.75 M cap, and if you take half of it, there will be a line of buyers with a 2nd and maybe something else at $2.375 M and no commitment beyond this year. You can have three salary retentions on the roster. We didn't use them all the last three years. We didn't use one with Montour and got only a 3rd.

You wanna see where Pegula's head is at, let's watch this deal.

(And please don't tell me retention doesn't change Oloffson's value. And if it's 25% instead of 50%, that will be about saving money because we won't have cap issues until 2024-25.)

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
My concern is will Pegula spend that extra that can really take the roster over the top.

I will be watching the Olofsson trade closely. He's a $4.75 M cap, and if you take half of it, there will be a line of buyers with a 2nd and maybe something else at $2.375 M and no commitment beyond this year. You can have three salary retentions on the roster. We didn't use them all the last three years. We didn't use one with Montour and got only a 3rd.

(And please don't tell me retention doesn't change Oloffson's value. And if it's 25% instead of 50%, that will be about saving money because we won't have cap issues until 2024-25.)
I'd be shocked if Olofsson could get that return even with 50% retention.

In the cold light of day - he's a healthy scratch on this team when everybody is healthy.

There's obvious reasons why every single poster on this forum wants him gone.

Why would other teams suddenly see huge value in someone we're desperate to get rid of?

I see his value as being a mid round pick at best. And I'm fine with trading him for that.

It has NOTHING to do with other moves for a defenseman or a goalie... Unless VO is involved as a throw in.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think/hope it was a challenge to every Sabres player, coach, staff, GM and owner what the goal is. I'm glad Okposo was willing to mention the playoffs and the Stanley Cup.

It's a stark contrast to Adams stated goal which is "to get better everyday".

Have you ever seen a $500k bonus for winning the Stanley Cup? Weird. It's either a KA's motivation to his captain to obtain the ultimate goal or KO's insistence that we talk about the elephant in the room (and provide some nice funds to throw a lavish party for his teammates).
Can't recall whom, but yes, I've seen those over-35 bonus relating to winning the Cup.

While I don't think Pegula will blow his cash wad willy-nilly, I agree the Olofsson situation should be watched.

His value with retention, now, off-season / pre-season might be a 2nd.

It will drop as the season starts and progresses. It may rebound at the TDL when roster limits go away.

A serious Sabres trade partner will need to have a strong enough roster that they can deploy #71 with 1-2 of their own defensive stalwarts or use #71 nearly exclusively as a PP sniper. He's a luxury for team which will make the playoffs. He's a liability for a team chasing the playoffs.

I (like you and others) see Olofsson as a possible piece in a trade for a D-man (I won't say Power's partner, because they may shuffle the D). It will depend whether the Sabres can throw him in on a deal to move the needle / tip the scale for the trade partner to agree to a deal.

My wild-ass guess today:
33% chance Olofsson is moved in offseason as part of a deal for a d-man.
33% chance he's moved in-season.
33% chance he's moved at the TDL.
1% chance he's with BUF in the 2024 playoffs.
Sum totals to 100% certainty he's not on the 2024-25 roster unless he becomes the second coming of Bob Gainey.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
So he overpays for short term contracts with ZERO cap implications, but gets bargains for long term contracts like Thompson.

Hmmm, sign me up. Sounds like a smart GM

(Also your point about being able to afford a 5 million dollar payment with your overlays is nonsensical given we have cap room to sign a 5 million dollar play with those “overpays”)
How is it nonsensical? It's obvious Pegula wanted to be below the cap floor and spend minimal real dollars the past 2 seasons, because that's exactly what happened.

In my hypothetical the sabres have $6mil extra cap to spend to reach the floor, because they didn't overpay the bottom of the lineup. So Adams could have spent that money on a $6mil aav top 4 Dman.

Pegula spends the exact same amount of money, but the team improves significantly. It's perfectly sensical.
A million per player on your list is a major reach.

Bryson - was young coming off a decent season, overpaid by maybe 400k when you look at Liljigren, Sandin, etc.
Joker - Bridge deal for a young dman who was looking like a potential top 4. Overpaid for what he delivered, but not for his role. Hindsight judgement that he's overpaid.
Eakin - Solid defensive center who had multiple 30 - 40 point, 15+ goal seasons prior to signing. It was a fair deal, again a hindsight judgement that he was overpaid.
Girgs - Physical 4th line player who was responsible defensively, and one of the main PK forwards on the team. Maybe overpaid by 500k, he was a UFA and could have gotten 2.2 on the market.
Comrie - 1.8 for a guy they thought could be the potential 1A or even starter is not an overpay, once again it's hindsight based on what was delivered. Casey DeSmith was also 1.8 as a back-up.
Anderson - 1.5 base with 500k performance bonus for a vet back-up is an overpay? see above, Casey DeSmith was 1.8 as a back-up.
Boosh - Probably an overpay for the role he played. Also likely would have gotten 2+ per elsewhere. Physical RD in their primes don't sign for peanuts in UFA.
Hinastroza - 1.7 was maybe a little high, but he also produced well for his role the prior season. Hindsight that he spent most of his time in the pressbox, he was still a good insurance policy to have as depth.
League minimum is $750k

Bryson. Playing for any other franchise Bryson still wouldn't have seen NHL ice because the NHL club would have had actual NHL dmen on the roster to take that ice time. 1,850,00-750,000 = 1,100,00 overpay.

Joker showed some promise early on but 2.5 is high. Cal Foote, from the same draft class but 15 spots better only got $850k on his second contract and he had better stats than Joker. $2,500,000 - $850,000 = $1,650,000 overpay

Eakin. Was washed up when we signed him. He was out of the league after our contract. $2,250,000 - $750,000 = $1,500,000 overpay

Girgs. Agreed that a 500k overpay sounds about right. Although the Covid market rate was quite low for 4th line grinders. Plenty of Girg caliber of players went for close to league minimum in 2020.

Comrie + Anderson. Taking a more thorough look I'll agree that their salaries were reasonable. But Anderson played for us for $750k in 2021-2022. You're telling me it took an extra $750k + $500k bonus to get him to want to come back for 2022-2023?

Boosh He's paid like a low end #4 when he's more of a #6/#7. Not a terrible overpay, but somewhere in the $500k-$1mil range. Lets split the difference and call it $750k.

Hinastroza is a league minimum player. But between his 2 seasons he made $2,750,000 or $1.375 aav. So only a $625k overpay

Bryson 1.1
Joker 1.65
Eakin 1.5
Girgs .5
Boosh .75
Hinnie .625
Total = $6.125mil aav overpay

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think/hope it was a challenge to every Sabres player, coach, staff, GM and owner what the goal is. I'm glad Okposo was willing to mention the playoffs and the Stanley Cup.

Adams also mentioned not just playoffs but being a Cup contender and Cup winner in his end of season press conference. That was not the usual for him either.

*clipped at 24 minutes where he actually says it*

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
They could have started with him. Joking. He's an okay 4th liner but his minutes need to be cut down, and he should play 60 games a year with little PP time. How does that happen if he is the captain?
He was already playing very little on the PP. He averaged under a minute/game there (10th among forwards). He also started seeing his overall ice time decrease a bit later in the season.

I think it would be a fair assumption that his ice time will decrease at even strength as Quinn starts to earn more at even strength. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in more of a Girgensons type of role for the season.

Martinook was an "A" for the Canes as a 4th liner for several seasons.
Chris Kelly was an "A" for the Bruins for years while being a 4th liner mostly.
Derek MacKenzie was the "C" in Florida for a few years as a 4th liner.
Drury was the "C" still for the Rags his last season where he barely played.
Callahan was an "A" for the Lightning and mostly a 4th liner his last 2 or 3 years.
Andreychuk was the "C" for the lightning, basically on the 4th line his final season.

It's not super common, but it does happen.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Well, Adams wanted Murray with his big salary, so Pegula must have allowed it. We'll have to re-sign Dahlin, Power and the others. Thompson, Samuelsson and Cozens have already received their deals. I'm just not sure if there will be a market for Olofsson, but of course a 50% retain could help push the price up a bit.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Joker showed some promise early on but 2.5 is high. Cal Foote, from the same draft class but 15 spots better only got $850k on his second contract and he had better stats than Joker. $2,500,000 - $850,000 = $1,650,000 overpay
Cal Foote played less than 13 minutes a game when he signed his 2 year bridge. Joker came off a season where he was playing over 18 minutes a game. If you can't understand the difference there, then I see no reason in debating it. You continue to judge the deals in hindsight while ignoring any context around those players and where they were at when the deals were actually signed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How is it nonsensical? It's obvious Pegula wanted to be below the cap floor and spend minimal real dollars the past 2 seasons, because that's exactly what happened.

In my hypothetical the sabres have $6mil extra cap to spend to reach the floor, because they didn't overpay the bottom of the lineup. So Adams could have spent that money on a $6mil aav top 4 Dman.

Pegula spends the exact same amount of money, but the team improves significantly. It's perfectly sensical.

League minimum is $750k

Bryson. Playing for any other franchise Bryson still wouldn't have seen NHL ice because the NHL club would have had actual NHL dmen on the roster to take that ice time. 1,850,00-750,000 = 1,100,00 overpay.

Eakin. Was washed up when we signed him. He was out of the league after our contract. $2,250,000 - $750,000 = $1,500,000 overpay

Girgs. Agreed that a 500k overpay sounds about right. Although the Covid market rate was quite low for 4th line grinders. Plenty of Girg caliber of players went for close to league minimum in 2020.

Comrie + Anderson. Taking a more thorough look I'll agree that their salaries were reasonable. But Anderson played for us for $750k in 2021-2022. You're telling me it took an extra $750k + $500k bonus to get him to want to come back for 2022-2023?

Boosh He's paid like a low end #4 when he's more of a #6/#7. Not a terrible overpay, but somewhere in the $500k-$1mil range. Lets split the difference and call it $750k.

Hinastroza is a league minimum player. But between his 2 seasons he made $2,750,000 or $1.375 aav. So only a $625k overpay

Bryson 1.1
Joker 1.65
Eakin 1.5
Girgs .5
Boosh .75
Hinnie .625
Total = $6.125mil aav overpay

Some good breakdown in there. But I am going to nitpick Cal Foote, a player who wasn't a full-time NHLer until this season, as having "better numbers" or being a better player when he wasn't an NHL regular.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Oh I don’t know. Maybe because it’s completely unfounded and baseless that there is an internal cap of paying less than the cap floor. But it’s an uninteresting idea about 6 of you have, so not interested in re-debating that.

Reactions: Zman5778

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Cal Foote played less than 13 minutes a game when he signed his 2 year bridge. Joker came off a season where he was playing over 18 minutes a game. If you can't understand the difference there, then I see no reason in debating it. You continue to judge the deals in hindsight while ignoring any context around those players and where they were at when the deals were actually signed.
Some good breakdown in there. But I am going to nitpick Cal Foote, a player who wasn't a full-time NHLer until this season, as having "better numbers" or being a better player when he wasn't an NHL regular.
Should Joker have been playing 18 minutes per game? If they swapped places do you think Joker would have even gotten to play 13 minutes a night for Tampa like Foote did?

You're continuing to give credit to players who earned high ice time on some awful Sabres rosters and acting like they should be paid the same as the players who earn similar ice time on better teams. Playing 18 minutes a night for the Sabres back then does not mean you're worth more the same as someone who played 18 minutes a night on even an average NHL team.

edit: I think earning 13 minutes on the 2020-21 TBL is worth a lot more than 18 minutes on the 2020-21 Sabres.

It's almost like if the Sabres had spent the money to pay actual NHL defensemen instead of rushing their prospects they wouldn't have had to overpay Joker or Bryson and the team would have been better. Which is my entire point.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He was already playing very little on the PP. He averaged under a minute/game there (10th among forwards). He also started seeing his overall ice time decrease a bit later in the season.

I think it would be a fair assumption that his ice time will decrease at even strength as Quinn starts to earn more at even strength. I wouldn't be shocked to see him in more of a Girgensons type of role for the season.

Martinook was an "A" for the Canes as a 4th liner for several seasons.
Chris Kelly was an "A" for the Bruins for years while being a 4th liner mostly.
Derek MacKenzie was the "C" in Florida for a few years as a 4th liner.
Drury was the "C" still for the Rags his last season where he barely played.
Callahan was an "A" for the Lightning and mostly a 4th liner his last 2 or 3 years.
Andreychuk was the "C" for the lightning, basically on the 4th line his final season.

It's not super common, but it does happen.
Chris Clark in Washington

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Should Joker have been playing 18 minutes per game? If they swapped places do you think Joker would have even gotten to play 13 minutes a night for Tampa like Foote did?

You're continuing to give credit to players who earned high ice time on some awful Sabres rosters and acting like they should be paid the same as the players who earn similar ice time on better teams. Playing 18 minutes a night for the Sabres back then does not mean you're worth more the same as someone who played 18 minutes a night on even an average NHL team.

edit: I think earning 13 minutes on the 2020-21 TBL is worth a lot more than 18 minutes on the 2020-21 Sabres.

It's almost like if the Sabres had spent the money to pay actual NHL defensemen instead of rushing their prospects they wouldn't have had to overpay Joker or Bryson and the team would have been better. Which is my entire point.

That argument is fine, just pick a player who isn't as measurably as disappointing as Foote.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

Have you ever seen a $500k bonus for winning the Stanley Cup? Weird. It's either a KA's motivation to his captain to obtain the ultimate goal or KO's insistence that we talk about the elephant in the room (and provide some nice funds to throw a lavish party for his teammates).
"Let's help Dad earn his bonus!"

Great pick-up to point that out. I love it. I agree that it's a call out to the team to let them know that the idea of winning the Cup is no longer some unthinkable fantasy. It implies that the bar has been raised and that the Sabres core won't become a country club.

It also means that if the team should fall short, changes will be made. Excellent!

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

You’ve really got to want to be mad at this deal. The player, the contract, the role, the fact that you have that man leading a roster of single, college aged, kids, is worth any difference in cap. Harvard’s done a number of psychological studies that show that the most important thing to development is the presence of a well adjust and situated adult willing to act as a surrogate parent. We got a guy that 1) truly understands what life really is about 2) genuinely wants to be be that guy in Buffalo 3) that the kids already listen to and 4) we just got him to take a huge pay cut to keep doing it. At the worst this is a net neutral at its best multiple Sabres are going to thank OK for his role in getting them into the hall.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
That argument is fine, just pick a player who isn't as measurably as disappointing as Foote.
But that's what makes him such a good comparable for Joki :laugh:

Foote sucks, so he doesn't see the ice much in TBL or NSH. Joki sucks, but it's the Sabres so he's in the top 4.

Below are their 1 year and 3 year charts.

1685127154533.png

1685127208046.png

1685127170799.png

1685127226542.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But that's what makes him such a good comparable for Joki :laugh:

Foote sucks, so he doesn't see the ice much in TBL or NSH. Joki sucks, but it's the Sabres so he's in the top 4.

Below are their 1 year and 3 year charts.

View attachment 713007
View attachment 713009

View attachment 713008
View attachment 713011

Foote did that on a team that makes a lot of players look really good in their charts. I still don't think they are similar. If Foote was doing what Foote did in Tampa in Buffalo, he'd have Risto-esque plunges in his GAR/XGar models. That's why he wasn't played and remains part of why they were so willing to part with him this season because even with a thinned RD situation in TB, he was still poor.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
So, back to Kyle ...

Adams must think Okposo's leadership compensates for whatever decline he expects in his play. I'm skeptical, but shrewd utilization will be critical. Don't fail us, Donny.

We all love Kyle, right? Hopefully he can be a positive contributor during his final season, and help finally get this franchise into the playoffs. I'd love to see him end his career on a positive note.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Held off commenting on this so far mainly because I was busy when I first saw it. There’s still room for Oki with a very young impressionable room. Limit his minutes and it’ll work great. I’m sure he’s treating this off-season as his last which will mean he’ll be ready for prime time as well.

For those who care about the number, why? If it isn’t coming from your bank account it’s nonsensical and if anything signals to the young guys that there’s a financial incentive to be a solid leader going forward.

I’m good with the signing and his spot can be replaced next year.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Can't recall whom, but yes, I've seen those over-35 bonus relating to winning the Cup.

While I don't think Pegula will blow his cash wad willy-nilly, I agree the Olofsson situation should be watched.

His value with retention, now, off-season / pre-season might be a 2nd.

It will drop as the season starts and progresses. It may rebound at the TDL when roster limits go away.

A serious Sabres trade partner will need to have a strong enough roster that they can deploy #71 with 1-2 of their own defensive stalwarts or use #71 nearly exclusively as a PP sniper. He's a luxury for team which will make the playoffs. He's a liability for a team chasing the playoffs.

I (like you and others) see Olofsson as a possible piece in a trade for a D-man (I won't say Power's partner, because they may shuffle the D). It will depend whether the Sabres can throw him in on a deal to move the needle / tip the scale for the trade partner to agree to a deal.

My wild-ass guess today:
33% chance Olofsson is moved in offseason as part of a deal for a d-man.
33% chance he's moved in-season.
33% chance he's moved at the TDL.
1% chance he's with BUF in the 2024 playoffs.
Sum totals to 100% certainty he's not on the 2024-25 roster unless he becomes the second coming of Bob Gainey.

I think there's a 90% chance he gets moved. Retention is the only issue. Kevyn Adams will not
be ripped off even when ownership handcuffs him. He won't sell Olofsson for a 4th with his full salary. Bad for his trade reputation and I support that. a 4th does so little. Pegula takes half the salary and Kevyn's job is way easier. Adams has earned the right to play with some of Pag's money.

Well, Adams wanted Murray with his big salary, so Pegula must have allowed it. We'll have to re-sign Dahlin, Power and the others. Thompson, Samuelsson and Cozens have already received their deals. I'm just not sure if there will be a market for Olofsson, but of course a 50% retain could help push the price up a bit.
Brett Murray?

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I think there's a 90% chance he gets moved. Retention is the only issue. Kevyn Adams will not
be ripped off even when ownership handcuffs him. He won't sell Olofsson for a 4th with his full salary. Bad for his trade reputation and I support that. a 4th does so little. Pegula takes half the salary and Kevyn's job is way easier. Adams has earned the right to play with some of Pag's money.

Brett Murray?
Matt

Matt Murray Contract and Cap Hit

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
The paranoia on this forum over Pegula and money never ceases to amaze me.

Until this team has $148 in cap space, (not $148K, I mean the actual $148) people are not gonna be happy. Because the team is cheap.

And then when that happens, those same people are not gonna be happy. Because the team overpaid.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad