Injury Report: Sabres Injury Report 2021 (Eichel, Hutton, Ullmark, Okposo)

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I was on him too. But what the hell was he doing playing with an injury like that? God help him if he got hit in that area while coping with the injury. I wish him a very speedy and full recovery.

it's a damning indictment of Ralph Krueger. Should have benched him to keep him from hurting himself further

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I was on him too. But what the hell was he doing playing with an injury like that? God help him if he got hit in that area while coping with the injury. I wish him a very speedy and full recovery.

I've ragged about his captaincy but also suspected and voiced that he was obviously hurt.

So I feel pretty darn stupid right now questioning his leadership because people in my family have suffered from herniated disks. I marvel at the will power he had to continue to take the ice. I'll not question his commitment to hockey ever again.

The main question for me is when did they finally decide to image the area? I would have figured this was done early on (my wife is radiologic technologist) and the problem should have been apparent from the x-rays/cat scan but if they thought it was PT treatable, maybe not.

We'll probably never get answers to any of this...... But just get well Jack.

P.S. fusion of vertebra frequent limits motion. Hockey players don't want to have limits set upon their neck swivel. Hopefully, Jack has some MD's as good as those who worked on Peyton Manning.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
I had two herniated disks in my neck that were initially misdiagnosed as a shoulder issue because my shoulder was always painful and felt weak. I don't think it's uncommon for it to take some time to to get to the correct diagnosis when it comes to disk issues in the neck. Glad they figured it out, hoping for a good outcome.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I've ragged about his captaincy but also suspected and voiced that he was obviously hurt.

So I feel pretty darn stupid right now questioning his leadership because people in my family have suffered from herniated disks. I marvel at the will power he had to continue to take the ice. I'll not question his commitment to hockey ever again.

The main question for me is when did they finally decide to image the area? I would have figured this was done early on (my wife is radiologic technologist) and the problem should have been apparent from the x-rays/cat scan but if they thought it was PT treatable, maybe not.

We'll probably never get answers to any of this...... But just get well Jack.

P.S. fusion of vertebra frequent limits motion. Hockey players don't want to have limits set upon their neck swivel. Hopefully, Jack has some MD's as good as those who worked on Peyton Manning.

Hopefully they can just do a microdisectomy and take the part of the disc is herniated out. I had that done on my l4-l5. It still feels stiff and I don't have quite the same motion but it's no longer painful. Plus a professional athlete will likely have access to better PT/recovery programs to strengthen the muscles around it to help mitigate loss of part of the disc. A fusion would be career-ending (I think).

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Hopefully they can just do a microdisectomy and take the part of the disc is herniated out. I had that done on my l4-l5. It still feels stiff and I don't have quite the same motion but it's no longer painful. Plus a professional athlete will likely have access to better PT/recovery programs to strengthen the muscles around it to help mitigate loss of part of the disc. A fusion would be career-ending (I think).

Not sure how similar Jack's potential one is, but fusions used to be a career ender for professional wrestlers, though several have fairly recently made comebacks after lengthy hiatuses. Very different points of impact on the body, but worth noting.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
yeah more then likely he would have a disectomy like Letang did back in 2017

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Kyle Okposo is also now injured likely a cut plus held out of game cause of concussion protocol and his concussion history

. he left the game and never retured

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
In spite of him being an anchor, salary-wise, I’ve respected his dedication to hockey. But I’m approaching the point where that respect is ebbing away, because he’s getting to a point where continuing to play feels reckless. How many more shots to the head does KO want to take?

It's been shown the hardest thing for a professional athlete to do is to give that life up. Because what's next is typically selling used cars or opening a pizza shop....

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Avalanche fan coming in peace.

Saw this update and wondered if it’s one of those “shut down cuz it’s not worth it” injuries. Cuz I’m not sure I’ve heard of a guy getting sidelined for the season for a cheek injury.

Thoughts?
Has history of concussions, almost died a couple years back due to medical complications, season is basically over just running out the slate so no reason to rush him back

Bferra13

Apr 7, 2019
It's been shown the hardest thing for a professional athlete to do is to give that life up. Because what's next is typically selling used cars or opening a pizza shop....

How bout just enjoy life and your family? He doesn't need to open up a pizza place with the money he has earned. Im the same age as okapella and a few mil in the bank for me, adios working world. He should have a lot more in the bank than a few mil with his insane contract.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
How bout just enjoy life and your family? He doesn't need to open up a pizza place with the money he has earned. Im the same age as okapella and a few mil in the bank for me, adios working world. He should have a lot more in the bank than a few mil with his insane contract.
You could check my past posts about KO and you'd see I have more than once recommended that he do just that. For his own and his family's own good.

But ya know, hockey is in his blood. He's been playing since he was a little guy. he obviously loves it and doesn't want to leave it behind prematurely. Which is his right to decide.

The pizza shop comment was a bit of sarcasm. I remember what happened to Bob Probert. And Tiger Williams.

And ALMOST to Pat Lafontaine who finally decided there was more to life than playing the game at breakneck speed.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Avalanche fan coming in peace.

Saw this update and wondered if it’s one of those “shut down cuz it’s not worth it” injuries. Cuz I’m not sure I’ve heard of a guy getting sidelined for the season for a cheek injury.

Thoughts?
Fellow Avs fan (checkout my posts on that board...) here. It looked like an orbital bone fracture to me but that only after viewing replays. That's a pretty nasty injury. I believe the Docs have to rebuild the front facial bones. You don't put on a full face shield and go out and play with that injury a few weeks later.

By the way, thought I'd mention (and I'm sure you will agree)that the Avs are currently the best team in the NHL versus the Pens as mentioned in another thread..... (GDT) for this game.

The Sabres would not be able to handle the Avalanche's speed at full out throttle. LOL

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
KO would be a good hire for player dev.
He still has a couple years to go but when he retires, I think he'll go back to school and get his degree. I see him coaching high school kids in my crystal ball coming home every night to a meatloaf dinner prepared according to June Cleaver's secret recipe.

Reactions: Butt Ox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad