Confirmed with Link: Sabres hire Jason Karmanos as Associate General Manager

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If you don't have players that want to be here you can't develop a culture. Players have to care about each other on and off the ice. They should feel bad when they screw up and be comfortable calling each other out. They shouldn't have to think about coming to a teammates defense. How many times does Risto have to tip the puck into his own net before one of his teammates calls him out? Does he even feel bad he let the goalie down and his teammates, or does he feel bad because Risto made a booboo? Leadership needs that culture to be effective. It can't exist in a vacuum. I got the feeling after Granato came in and used the kids they have the ingredients to develop a culture around. They can't do it by assembling parts that are passing through collecting a paycheck. It has to be all for one and one for all.

That is all 100% correct, I'm all for the team putting an emphasis on culture. It's something that has been lacking.

But this is very much a chicken or an egg scenario. While you won't have sustained success without good culture and team accountability, culture cannot grow without success. And sure, success is a relative term. But at some point to compete, you need talented players. I think part of the reason the team was able to grow is that, simply put, wins and losses stopped mattering around 10 game mark of the losing streak, the season was over. And the team DID improve when the streak finally stopped, but there was zero consequence to any games. Its hard to judge whether the improvement under granato was him putting some huge culture change or simply because it was a consequence free environment where losses were expected and accepted.

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
That is all 100% correct, I'm all for the team putting an emphasis on culture. It's something that has been lacking.

But this is very much a chicken or an egg scenario. While you won't have sustained success without good culture and team accountability, culture cannot grow without success. And sure, success is a relative term. But at some point to compete, you need talented players. I think part of the reason the team was able to grow is that, simply put, wins and losses stopped mattering around 10 game mark of the losing streak, the season was over. And the team DID improve when the streak finally stopped, but there was zero consequence to any games. Its hard to judge whether the improvement under granato was him putting some huge culture change or simply because it was a consequence free environment where losses were expected and accepted.

I would say the improvement was more Granato rather than the games not mattering. In some cases the latter is true for teams but the Sabres have had a few years now where games didn’t matter and there hasn’t been the same level of improvement.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Sabres should have elected a 2-year arbitration award with Reinhart last offseason.
Why? I’d rather them do that this offseason, if they can’t come to a multi year deal.

Doing it last offseason walks him right to UFA the 1st year he’s eligible. I would’ve been pissed if they did that last offseason.

If I were Buffalo, I’d only be offering a multi year deal right now. Let Reinhart elect for arbitration if he doesn’t want to accept a deal with term. Then elect for a 2 yr arbitration award.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Why? I’d rather them do that this offseason, if they can’t come to a multi year deal.

Doing it last offseason walks him right to UFA the 1st year he’s eligible. I would’ve been pissed if they did that last offseason.

If I were Buffalo, I’d only be offering a multi year deal right now. Let Reinhart elect for arbitration if he doesn’t want to accept a deal with term. Then elect for a 2 yr arbitration award.
Not an option if he’s one year from UFA. Can only pick two years if you have 2+ years of control on the player

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Not an option if he’s one year from UFA. Can only pick two years if you have 2+ years of control on the player
Exactly. Which is why, in my retroactive assessment, they should have done it last year.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Come to Buffalo, you snobby bastards
I hope they go out on the yacht. The weather starts getting rough, the tiny ship is tossed, they get shipwrecked on an uncharted island. The NHL assumes management of the team and they win a cup in 6 years. The Pegulas, Adams, and Karmanos are rescued after a dozen years and Terry promises to dig another well only to find out the world has switched to alternative forms of energy.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I hope they go out on the yacht. The weather starts getting rough, the tiny ship is tossed, they get shipwrecked on an uncharted island. The NHL assumes management of the team and they win a cup in 6 years. The Pegulas, Adams, and Karmanos are rescued after a dozen years and Terry promises to dig another well only to find out the world has switched to alternative forms of energy.
don't stop

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
iu

iu

The resemblance is uncanny.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Only in Buffalo do we think the AGM will fix the franchise. Buck stops with Pegulas. This guy won't stand up to their stupidity.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Only in Buffalo do we think the AGM will fix the franchise. Buck stops with Pegulas. This guy won't stand up to their stupidity.
Honestly having 1 voice of reason would have solved many of our problems the past 6 years

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I thought more people would have been brought in by now.

I feel like Adams acts too slowly. It's now June, and all that has happened was one AGM. We are still a skeleton staff, with a little over a month away from one of the biggest drafts this organization has faced.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad