Confirmed with Link: Sabres have promoted Seth Appert to assistant coach/Amir Gulati to video coordinator/Girardi let go

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Ellis was a Pegula/Adams hire for the organization. The Ruff hire was in no way to pry it from Adams/Terry. Hell, Adams worked for Ruff.

This was a hire to go in another direction from Granato without needing to hire someone that could disrupt the structure of communication between coaching/ownership/management.

Maybe they don't want Ray to talk to anyone other than Ellis between periods because it's the highlight of the broadcasts - like the Sabres own "Coach's Corner" and Ray is the Ron MacLean to Ellis' Don Cherry.

• Haha
Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Why would Ruff come back to be another lackey? He was already getting paid by NJ. I'm sure he feels he has some unfinished business and wants to bring his favorite team and city to glory but he wasn't going to take the job back if he was told he's just a pawn in Pegula's skinflint game or Adams' micromanagement or some other nonsense.

It's so rare for a veteran coach not to pick their own coaching staff. Yeah, yeah, "he wanted Rochester guy," and not his own people. Strike one. He has already bent a little. I get it. He's 65. Love's Buffalo. He has family in the city. Wife loves it. He will be an organization guy for life. I don't blame him. And you're right, bringing a cup to the city is a dream. But this is another amateur hour move by Pegula & Co. And, yes, they will be well under cap even as Adams says he has all the resources. Watch the UPL contract closely. If it's a two-year deal, that will be a bad sign and mean they were unwilling to pay up for even one UFA year.

Lance isn’t confirming with his source that Ellis won’t be behind the bench. His source just says the coach will appoint someone to run the PP. Doesn’t clarify if it’s someone new.

Lance is assuming that on his own.

Lance asks zero tough questions. He's not a jerk like Harrington but his analysis is not softball on team.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Lance isn’t confirming with his source that Ellis won’t be behind the bench. His source just says the coach will appoint someone to run the PP. Doesn’t clarify if it’s someone new.

Lance is assuming that on his own.
it happened literally 30 seconds after the press conference ended. the source is Adams. Ruff said it today on Sabres Live he would be in the eye in the sky role and help with face offs. What more do you want?

You sound like a conspiracy theorist dude lol

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It's crazy the number of hot takes in here about assistant coaches
Positive or negative opinions aside, I don't think 'hot take' is the right description of opinion based on watching this staff operate for the last 3 years. If there are any coaches Sabres fans are intimately familiar with, it's these.

If this goes south, this is Adam's last shot. If this doesn't work, he's next.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
A fanbase versus a coach who we assumed who would be wielding some form of power when he was hired.

Maybe we were wrong in our assumption, maybe not. Guess we'll see, I certainly have no problem with the hiring.
in that interview, Lindy said he didn’t really even know who Seth Appert was until after he was hired here, and that Adams was a strong advocate (paraphrasing).

I am sure Lindy is on board with this hire and the final say was probably his. If he really didn’t want Appert on staff I don’t think he would be.

But having said that, nobody is going to convince me this was Lindy’s idea, or that Lindy thought all the best asst. coaching candidates were the guys already hired here + Seth Appert and his video coach.

I just hope the goal was to set Lindy up for success this coming season vs. saving money and/or setting up a future succession plan.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
in that interview, Lindy said he didn’t really even know who Seth Appert was until after he was hired here, and that Adams was a strong advocate (paraphrasing).

I am sure Lindy is on board with this hire and the final say was probably his. If he really didn’t want Appert on staff I don’t think he would be.

But having said that, nobody is going to convince me this was Lindy’s idea, or that Lindy thought all the best asst. coaching candidates were the guys already hired here + Seth Appert and his video coach.

I just hope the goal was to set Lindy up for success this coming season vs. saving money and/or setting up a future succession plan.
Yep I agree.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Positive or negative opinions aside, I don't think 'hot take' is the right description of opinion based on watching this staff operate for the last 3 years. If there are any coaches Sabres fans are intimately familiar with, it's these.

If this goes south, this is Adam's last shot. If this doesn't work, he's next.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the term "hot take" if you think I was talking about the understandable skepticism of some posters on retaining a few assistants and promoting Appert.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I don't see the big deal with Appert. I think he has been a "meh" coach in rochester, but his familiarity with our core players probably elevates his value to the bench.

The same posters that declared Ellis better be moved to player development or up in the press box are super mad that he is an assistant coach that will be.....up in the press box.

A lot of us need to step back from the ledge. We aren't even to the draft yet and the feuds are heated.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Well that IS a list of coaches. Not ideal in my eyes, still not going to get too upset about assistants until i see what kind of moves are made in the off season.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The only part in all of this that really bothers me is the comment from the official press release that this completes their staff. That’s what is so uninspiring about all of it.
I just don't like that Lindy isn't being allowed to bring in a single guy of his own. That never happens anywhere else, and makes it continue to seem like Buffalo refuses to follow best practices in almost any aspect of running or building the team.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Biggest apprehension with the Apperts hire is the clearly disappointing series he just had against the Crunch.

He was out coached and outmatched and our forwards for that series were mostly rendered ineffective against career AHLers.

Levi bailed that team out or it was done by Game 4 actually it might have been a sweep if not for Levi.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I just don't like that Lindy isn't being allowed to bring in a single guy of his own. That never happens anywhere else, and makes it continue to seem like Buffalo refuses to follow best practices in almost any aspect of running or building the team.

They do still have a singular spot open on the bench for another new guy; perhaps Lindy has interests in another specific coach that may still be in the playoffs in some capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad