News Article: Sabres coach Nolan switches stance on fighting

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-coach-nolan-changes-stance-on-fighting/

BUFFALO, N.Y. — During Ted Nolan’s first stint with the Buffalo Sabres all his team did was fight. This time around he’s actively discouraging his players from doing it.

In the eyes of the 56-year-old coach, the game has changed to the point where there simply isn’t much room for fisticuffs. While he can tolerate one of his players occasionally defending a teammate, he has absolutely no time for pre-arranged or staged fights.

The change in philosophy was evident right from the moment he took over for Ron Rolston last November.

The Sabres were assessed just 19 fighting majors in 62 games under Nolan after racking up 17 in the opening 20 games of the season. His message was received loud and clear inside the home dressing room at First Niagara Center.

It’s a far cry from his go-round in this city.

The 1995-96 Sabres featured Matthew Barnaby and Rob Ray — not to mention Sportsnet’s own Brad May — and amassed a whopping 103 fights, according to hockeyfights.com. That was 15 more than any other NHL team. The following season under Nolan saw them finish second in the league with 89 fights.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm sure the structure of his team has a lot to do with it, too. His 90's team had a lot of tough players that were capable of fighting. His current team is filled with young and talented guys that aren't really suited to throw down.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Fighting shouldn't be encouraged or discouraged by coaches. Let the players react to the game. This kind of talk tends to get players to over think things that shouldn't be.

I personally think Ted is just blowing smoke..saying the politically correct thing. I do however think he's against most staged fighting.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He's talking mostly about getting rid of staged fights, which is just good the game in general.

Defending a teammate is gonna still be OK, but none of the fighting for the sake of fighting business, and that's a good thing.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm sure the structure of his team has a lot to do with it, too. His 90's team had a lot of tough players that were capable of fighting. His current team is filled with young and talented guys that aren't really suited to throw down.

I doubt it has anything to do with it. He started with this last year, famously telling John Scott to just play hockey *insert jokes about Scott playing hockey here*.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I totally agree with getting rid of staged fights. They're a bore, don't accomplish much, and delay the game. Now when it comes to defending a teammate...I'm all about that, but these days too many players get bent after a clean hit. It's really frustrating to watch a good clean hit, and then have to wait another 10 minutes before the game starts again. I'm almost at the point of wishing fighting was banned because players can't choose the righteous times to drop the gloves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad