Confirmed with Link: Sabres claim Christian Wolanin off waivers from LA (Waived 11/30, re-claimed by LA 12/1)

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
There's more than a few guys that have been buried on depth charts that never got a good chance to prove themselves in the NHL and eventually end up on the "right" team and show they belong.

When I was at Fort Knox in 2000, I watched a young Dan Boyle struggle to make the Panthers and stick. He was with Louisville in the AHL then. He went to TB and the rest is history.

Not saying that’s Wolanin, but @Buffaloed is right. Sometimes all a player needs to to be on the right team.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
When I was at Fort Knox in 2000, I watched a young Dan Boyle struggle to make the Panthers and stick. He was with Louisville in the AHL then. He went to TB and the rest is history.

Not saying that’s Wolanin, but @Buffaloed is right. Sometimes all a player needs to to be on the right team.

Not on defense, but Sam Bennett is one of the most recent and prime examples.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
From Ian Mendes when Wolanin went to the Kings from the Sens:

Kings continue depth reshuffle by adding defenseman Christian Wolanin in a trade

Mendes: The Senators had high hopes for Wolanin, envisioning him as a puck-moving defenseman on the left side. He had an inside track on a full-time job prior to the 2019-20 season, but a freak injury just before training camp resulted in a torn labrum in his shoulder. He returned slightly ahead of schedule, but only appeared in three NHL game with the Senators before the pandemic wiped out the remainder of the season. When Wolanin arrived at Senators camp in January, he found himself fighting for a job — and the respect of head coach D.J. Smith. As the season progressed, it became clear the Senators preferred Mike Reilly and Erik Brannstrom to Wolanin, ultimately deeming the 26-year-old expendable. But Wolanin has a likeable swagger and confidence that could blossom in a market like Los Angeles — provided he gets the trust of Todd McLellan. Wolanin has the ability to run a second-unit power play and can stretch the ice with his passing. His skating and vision are certainly NHL-caliber. If he can stay healthy and improve his play in the defensive zone, he could certainly emerge into a regular NHL defenseman.

Reactions: joshjull

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Seema like quite a bit of redundancy with Butcher/Wolanin/Bryson as far as skill set and strength.

Let Butcher play with Dahlin for another 20 games and maybe he can be traded for a pick

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
To my surprise, Bryson has earned his place in the lineup. He's played very well these first two. God forbid there's another injury, but we need to see what CW can do.

Reactions: UnleashRasmus

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Seema like quite a bit of redundancy with Butcher/Wolanin/Bryson as far as skill set and strength.

Let Butcher play with Dahlin for another 20 games and maybe he can be traded for a pick
It's the type of game Granato wants to play.

Reactions: brian_griffin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Interesting, he transitioned to defense at 20 years old.
About 18 years sooner than Phil Housley...

BUF could use some Dan Boyle types. Steady, smart, etc. (Not implying this new guy will be Dan Boyle-esque.)

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad