News Article: Sabres Change Plans - Jeanneret To Return For 2016-2017 Season

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Inquiring minds want to know: Where is Rick Jeanneret, the voice of the Buffalo Sabres?
Sabre fans shouldn’t worry. According to a source close to Jeanneret, his health is fine.

Jeanneret, who didn’t work either of the Sabres games this week carried by MSG after the NHL All-Star game break, is on a scheduled Florida vacation.
He won’t be back calling a game until March 1 when the Sabres host Connor McDavid and the Edmonton Oilers.

http://talkintv.buffalonews.com/201...er-17-years-jeanneret-on-month-long-vacation/

That's one hell of a vacation. :laugh:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
That's always been the case. He's gotten progressively worse.

That may be true, but not too many play-by-play guys really do that anymore. At least with RJ you get the general gist of what's going on instead of some barely relevant story every few minutes.

Edit: I realize I'm replying to a fairly old post.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
That may be true, but not too many play-by-play guys really do that anymore. At least with RJ you get the general gist of what's going on instead of some barely relevant story every few minutes.

I disagree. All too often I'll be listening to him and have no idea where the puck is or what zone the play is in. He's also gotten into the habit of taking extended breaks where there's just dead air for 3-4 seconds and you're left guessing what's happening. Plus he's slower to follow the plays now. His back and forth dialogue with Ray is also usually pretty cringeworthy.

Though to be fair, Ray makes it 10 times worse since I'm pretty sure he has zero idea he's even on the radio.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
More Duff and much more Ray please. Ray is truly the most entertaining guy around. His WGR segments need to be compiled and archived for future generations.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Awesome.....just not the same without him...Games are less interesting...He could call games from a nursing home as far as I'm concerned....

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I disagree. All too often I'll be listening to him and have no idea where the puck is or what zone the play is in. He's also gotten into the habit of taking extended breaks where there's just dead air for 3-4 seconds and you're left guessing what's happening. Plus he's slower to follow the plays now. His back and forth dialogue with Ray is also usually pretty cringeworthy.

Though to be fair, Ray makes it 10 times worse since I'm pretty sure he has zero idea he's even on the radio.

I think much of this has to do eith the fact the primary audience is thru TV than being entirely on radio...thus have to be more descriptive.

See his he is when the game is only on NBC/NBCSN

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
Dunleavy is better than Gurtler or Sylvester. But that's about it.

Darling and Jeanneret were/are the Sabres voice.

I don't think Dunleavy has what it takes to be the next generational voice of this team.

I believe that down the road a new voice will have to be found.

With all that said, I don't think this is fair to Dunleavy. He was brought in thinking he'd be the new guy after a few years. A succession plan was put in place and he signed on for it. How long does he have to wait getting stuck with the measly scraps of long haul road games?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Dunleavy is fine. He's not the best he's not the worst...he's fine. And since he hasn't done it as long as many in the league it would be unfair to assume he won't improve with experience. He's fine.

Ray sucks.

You want to improve Dunleavy give him someone to talk with that isn't a mushmouthed fool.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
He should retire. It's hard to listen to the Buffalo feed when he's calling the plays. But if he wants to keep going then let him I guess.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
I think Dunleavy should strictly be the third voice on the broadcast behind Ray and RJ/new voice. I'm sure there's a guy out there for us but its not dunleavy, hes a great guy but lacks excitement and signature. Look towards AHL and Junior guys, and that bob mills guy who was recommended, i like his calls.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I don't think Dunleavy has what it takes to be the next generational voice of this team.

With all that said, I don't think this is fair to Dunleavy. He was brought in thinking he'd be the new guy after a few years. A succession plan was put in place and he signed on for it. How long does he have to wait getting stuck with the measly scraps of long haul road games?

I'm just glad someone brought this up.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Can't bring myself to care. Frankly, they should be looking for someone to replace both as the future broadcaster once RJ retires.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The Buffalo Sabres and MSG Networks today announced the 2016-2017 telecast schedule, with 74 games set to air exclusively on MSG, including the team’s opening-night matchup against the Montreal Canadians on October 13. The remaining eight games will be broadcast on NBCSN. All Sabres telecasts on MSG Networks are produced and broadcast by the team’s in-house broadcasting team and feature the Sabres broadcasters and analysts exclusively.

Calling the action on MSG telecasts are Foster Hewitt Award winner and Sabres Hall-of-Famer Rick Jeanneret, who embarks on his 45th year behind the microphone in 2016-2017, and veteran broadcaster Dan Dunleavy who returns for his fourth season with the Sabres’ broadcast team. Rob Ray, a 13-year veteran of Sabres broadcasts, is in his fifth season as the full-time color analyst.

Brian Duff, who joined the Sabres broadcast team in 2011-2012, will again serve as the full-time in-game host for all Sabres broadcasts on MSG. Veteran broadcaster Brad May will once again be a mainstay across all Sabres platforms in 2016-2017, providing in-depth analysis before, during and after games.

In June 2016, the Sabres and MSG Networks announced a new, long-term rights agreement for Buffalo Sabres games and a comprehensive programming partnership for the creation of new content relating to the Sabres and other Pegula Sports and Entertainment properties, such as the Buffalo Bills, for exhibition by MSG Networks in Western New York.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
RJ is awesome, and when he's ready to hang him up Duffer should be his replacement. He has the only dynamic voice in the organization other than RJ.

I can't wait to hear RJ finally announce to the world that the Buffalo Sabres have won Lord Stanley's Cup. June of 2018 or bust.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
RJ is the greatest. He's the voice of the Sabres as long as he wants to be, eyesight or otherwise. Still more entertaining than any alternative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad