Confirmed with Link: Saad to Columbus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Instead of signing a reasonable bridge contract like almost all the comparable RFAs have done in the recent years, he asked for ridiculous amount and got himself traded to a fringe playoff team with lots of cap space.

Now Columbus has all the leverage in negotiation with Saad. Unlike the Hawks, they have cap space to match virtually any offer. No team will give him an offersheet knowing it will be 100% matched since all it does is piss off Columbus and make an enemy. Longer this drags on, less he will get.

Then this is bad negotiation tactics by Bowman, for instance Saad was apparently shocked by the trade meaning he was not given a proper firm warning. It's simple all he could have done is tell Saad listen here bud if you don't take 5Mill then we will have no choice but trading you and this is no bluff, you are easy to trade, there are 30 teams that want your services and I have no problem with it as I believe I will get a good return, I won't hold on to you till you get offer sheeted so that is not happening so make your decision now. Also if you decide to stick to your number, what will happen is that you will get traded to a team that has cap space and will play hardball with you and you won't get the offer sheet that you wanted anymore and will still get around 5 million that we are offering you but you won't be playing for a cup contender anymore. All this stuff that I listed here as an NHL GM, Stan should have been able to for see it. So why was not all this brought to the negotiation table? And for one second I don't buy that Saad's agent is responsible for him not knowing what was up, agents try to do everything to get a player cash but they are obligated by the agreement between player and agent to tell the player what is happening and periodically. I believe Saad was present at all negotiations either way. Bottom line is that Stan did not want Saad, doubt he was even offering him 5 million, I think he was offering him 3.5? I wish I was at those negotiations because of all the information that we have, it really does not add up.

Last edited:

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Then this is bad negotiation tactics by Bowman, for instance Saad was apparently shocked by the trade meaning he was not given a proper firm warning. It's simple all he could have done is tell Saad listen here bud if you don't take 5Mill then we will have no choice but trading you and this is no bluff, you are easy to trade, there are 30 teams that want your services and I have no problem with it as I believe I will get a good return, I won't hold on to you till you get offer sheeted so that is not happening so make your decision now. Also if you decide to stick to your number, what will happen is that you will get traded to a team that has cap space and will play hardball with you and you won't get the offer sheet that you wanted anymore and will still get around 5 million that we are offering you but you won't be playing for a cup contender anymore. All this stuff that I listed here as an NHL GM, Stan should have been able to for see it. So why was not all this brought to the negotiation table? And for one second I don't buy that Saad's agent is responsible for him not knowing what was up, agents try to do everything to get a player cash but they are obligated by the agreement between player and agent to tell the player what is happening and periodically. I believe Saad was present at all negotiations either way. Bottom line is that Stan did not want Saad, doubt he was even offering him 5 million, I think he was offering him 3.5? I wish I was at those negotiations because of all the information that we have, it really does not add up.

I don't believe for one second Bowman didn't give him a final offer and a deadline to take it. He didn't want Saad gone, why would he? The agent probably told Saad to sit still, thinking Bowman would blink in the end and come through with more at the last minute.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I don't believe for one second Bowman didn't give him a final offer and a deadline to take it. He didn't want Saad gone, why would he? The agent probably told Saad to sit still, thinking Bowman would blink in the end and come through with more at the last minute.

I don't believe that as well, as the agent would have been fired by now, there is no way that he would do that and still have a job, like I said with the information given to is, someone is not telling the full truth. Or maybe all these people with these insider "sources" are just stirring the pot and we have no idea what truly happened in there.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't believe that as well, as the agent would have been fired by now, there is no way that he would do that and still have a job, like I said with the information given to is, someone is not telling the full truth. Or maybe all these people with these insider "sources" are just stirring the pot and we have no idea what truly happened in there.

Major screw up whatever happened. Water under the bridge, just hope we have more cups in the future with the new direction we are going. The hill to climb after this offseason will be huge, multiple young guys are going to need to develop into great NHLers these next few seasons. I really think next year is a development year, can't see all these young guys getting us past round 2.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Um, Saad said it himself he let his agent do all the talking. The rest of your post is complete conjecture to support continued bashing of Stan. It's getting old.

Asking 6.5 million from a team that absolutely no cap room? What did anyone expect to happen. Even now, Saad is not signed as they continue to play hardball with CBJ, problem is they have no leverage.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Um, Saad said it himself he let his agent do all the talking. The rest of your post is complete conjecture to support continued bashing of Stan. It's getting old.

Asking 6.5 million from a team that absolutely no cap room? What did anyone expect to happen. Even now, Saad is not signed as they continue to play hardball with CBJ, problem is they have no leverage.

"Bashing of Stan"

What does that mean? Does that mean I hate Stan for the sake of hating Stan? I am just discussing the situation, why are you bringing up the negative, for instance why didn't you say its just your love for Saad? This whole political correctness in here makes me want to throw up. If I told you that I want Saad traded for Anisimov and Dano before he got traded, I would have been ridiculed, people just like to follow authority like robots these days and not question anything, its sad.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
"Bashing of Stan"

What does that mean? Does that mean I hate Stan for the sake of hating Stan? I am just discussing the situation, why are you bringing up the negative, for instance why didn't you say its just your love for Saad? This whole political correctness in here makes me want to throw up. If I told you that I want Saad traded for Anisimov and Dano before he got traded, I would have been ridiculed, people just like to follow authority like robots these days and not question anything, its sad.

It's more of an issue when people have a complete one sided agenda. It's annoying. Nobody here is happy with the trade but the Hawks have few options at the reported asking price. Stating "Stan didn't want Saad" without considering the situation is stupid.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Bowman said to Saad after the Cup win that they'd win more Cups together. He was the best player Bowman's drafted. It's completely idiotic to say Bowman didn't want to keep him. Get real.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Bowman said to Saad after the Cup win that they'd win more Cups together. He was the best player Bowman's drafted. It's completely idiotic to say Bowman didn't want to keep him. Get real.

Saad also said that he will take a discount to play for a winning team and he wants to come back and win more cups with the Hawks, someone is lying here. I think my post was very thorough as to why I thought that but everyone likes to ignore and entire post and take things out of context. Its the norm as attention spans have gotten so short, we are in the vine age after all...

vegasvic

Jan 10, 2010
If he didn't want to keep him he could have traded him at the draft for a top pick. I think it went down just as its been reported. Agent asked for too much, Stan moved on, nobody happy.

My guess is that this trade probably hurts more in 2-3 years than it will next year.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
If he didn't want to keep him he could have traded him at the draft for a top pick. I think it went down just as its been reported. Agent asked for too much, Stan moved on, nobody happy.

My guess is that this trade probably hurts more in 2-3 years than it will next year.
A top 10 pick doesn't do much good for a team trying to win now. The Hawks aren't rebuilding, just retooling.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Saad also said that he will take a discount to play for a winning team and he wants to come back and win more cups with the Hawks, someone is lying here. I think my post was very thorough as to why I thought that but everyone likes to ignore and entire post and take things out of context. Its the norm as attention spans have gotten so short, we are in the vine age after all...

No it's not. You said you believed Stan didn't want Saad. As far as this post maybe Saad's version of a discount is not realistic. If Saad accepts the bridge deal he is still here.

He wants a huge deal as a RFA - still not signed with CBJ by the way.

I think there is some credibility that Saad never thought he would be traded. Break down in communication somewhere but oh well.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Then this is bad negotiation tactics by Bowman, for instance Saad was apparently shocked by the trade meaning he was not given a proper firm warning. It's simple all he could have done is tell Saad listen here bud if you don't take 5Mill then we will have no choice but trading you and this is no bluff, you are easy to trade, there are 30 teams that want your services and I have no problem with it as I believe I will get a good return, I won't hold on to you till you get offer sheeted so that is not happening so make your decision now. Also if you decide to stick to your number, what will happen is that you will get traded to a team that has cap space and will play hardball with you and you won't get the offer sheet that you wanted anymore and will still get around 5 million that we are offering you but you won't be playing for a cup contender anymore. All this stuff that I listed here as an NHL GM, Stan should have been able to for see it.

I have little doubt that that was communicated to the Agent/Saad, but that they believed Stan was bluffing. Since Stan did trade him, there would be no logical reason not to convey that message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad