Saad or Shaw

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
For what it's worth, here's Saad's talent analysis on Hockey's Future:

"At his best, Saad is a power forward with the strength and scoring touch to wreak havoc in front of the net. He is strong and solidly built at 6'1 and 203 pounds, but does not always use his size as much as he should. Good hockey sense and able to create space for himself as well as linemates. Responsible in his own zone and anticipates the play well. Potential top six power forward, but needs to play with more consistency."

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
You guys kill me. You don't have to be 6'8 or 250lbs to be a powerforward. See Jarome Iginla: A powerforward uses strength to get to the net and fight through guys. Strength can be determined in many ways. Saad is Beach's weight and is two inches shorter. He could very well out squat and lift him while having more "power" even at his age.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
For what it's worth this is in our best interests in a few years:

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-TT-Hossa
Shaw-DB-Stalberg/McNeil
Hayes-Danault-UFA

McNeil and TT battle for 2nd line C.

So many questions though

Kevin Hayes-
Brandon Pirri
Kruger
?? Etc etc

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Who will have the greatest impact on the team as a whole and when do you see it happening?

hard question - b/c i don't see them playing the same role. saad projects to a top-6 ceiling and is too young/we haven't seen him enough to evaluate. on top of that, i think he has the size and likely weight to be a power forward...and if i'm right then he needs a couple more years before we can get a good picture on him.

re: shaw - i'll admit my own bias and say i wasn't as taken by him as others were last year (although i'd never deny he did well). honestly, i find shaw very replaceable. while he was effective for us last year, i'm not at all protective about him being a hawk over the long term

LandofLincoln*

I like Shaw's motor.

I like his recklessness, volatility and his lack of size is his greatest asset. He has an ability to squeeze through bigger players almost like he is covered in oil. I don't want him to get bigger than 185lbs. He would lose his ability to jump over goalies and would lose speed.

He has a great ability to get garbage goals because he plays bounces better than anyone on the Hawks and his hand eye reflex coordination is sky high. I don't want to make it sound like he is skilled. His stick in the crease off rebounds is second only to Patrick Kane's as far as accuracy in my opinion.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I expected Shaw to be bordline NHL material and thought he was pretty lucky to have as many goals as he did last year. But I think I have been wrong so far. Kid makes some stupid youthful mistakes (leading to first goal last night) but he is seriously quick and looking like an absolute steal in 4th round. He is already Bolland-lite. ****** at the dot but can play in the offensive zone. He's got some skill.

Obviously Saad is much younger and has much higher upside. Saad only has 8 pts but they have all come in his last 14 games and I think it's clear that he is progressing more and more each game.

LandofLincoln*

For what it's worth this is in our best interests in a few years:

Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-TT-Hossa
Shaw-DB-Stalberg/McNeil
Hayes-Danault-UFA

McNeil and TT battle for 2nd line C.

So many questions though

Kevin Hayes-
Brandon Pirri
Kruger
?? Etc etc

Patrick Sharp should easily finish 4th on this team in goals. Kane, Hossa, Toews being three guys in front of him.

If P. Sharp is going to be an assist guy instead of a sniper than let me ask this has his role changed? He currently is more of a playmaker than a finisher so far this season. If we weren't 20-0-3 this season analysts would be highlighting Sharpie's lack of production. Sharp will need to have a big playoffs this season.

I think Brandon Saad has solidified his role on the first line. Sure that could change, but Toews & Hossa both like Saad and respect the way he plays the game.

When Teuvo Teräväinen makes the Blackhawks he will play in the top six and I believe he plays LW. It probably will not be next year. Teräväinen & Saad as future top six forwards could have Sharp in the middle. Patrick Sharp is being paid what a 2nd line center would be paid. Plus his game seems to be changing where he is high on assists and not sniping goals. If you look at his percentage of shots going in it's low. I'm still glad we have Sharp longterm, but his role could change.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Both have plus motors. When Danault is ready for the show, watch out.

The third line with Shaw centering may be one of the best in the NHL right now. Im having a hard time trying to wrap my brain around this fact.

Saad creates a lot of havoc with his rushes and hockey IQ. Draws a lot of penalties. Much stronger than Shaw simply by size but Shaw plays a lot bigger than he is. Saads getting rewarded as of late for his tenacity which both players have.

Blackhawks hit the jackpot with both players.

Looking at the current numbers for the 2011 draft picks -

Shaw GP 60, G 17, A 15, Pts 32
Saad GP 24, G4, A 4, Pts 8

That puts Shaw 4th in points for the 2011 draft picks. Right behind #1 RNH (60 pts), #2 Landeskog (57 pts), #8 Couturier (34). Saad is T7. Impressive pair.

BEL4SEPICMULLET

Oct 5, 2010
Chicago, IL
Patrick Sharp should easily finish 4th on this team in goals. Kane, Hossa, Toews being three guys in front of him.

If P. Sharp is going to be an assist guy instead of a sniper than let me ask this has his role changed? He currently is more of a playmaker than a finisher so far this season. If we weren't 20-0-3 this season analysts would be highlighting Sharpie's lack of production. Sharp will need to have a big playoffs this season.

I think Brandon Saad has solidified his role on the first line. Sure that could change, but Toews & Hossa both like Saad and respect the way he plays the game.

When Teuvo Teräväinen makes the Blackhawks he will play in the top six and I believe he plays LW. It probably will not be next year. Teräväinen & Saad as future top six forwards could have Sharp in the middle. Patrick Sharp is being paid what a 2nd line center would be paid. Plus his game seems to be changing where he is high on assists and not sniping goals. If you look at his percentage of shots going in it's low. I'm still glad we have Sharp longterm, but his role could change.

Here's a crazy thought, and I don't know if it's enforceable legally, but has anyone ever wondered if Sharp didn't want to play center and it was part of him agreeing to resign in Chicago? Maybe he has a clause that dictates he will not be required to play center... It's glaringly obvious that we have a hole in the 2C, but Sharp was never put there after he signed the new contract.

LandofLincoln*

Here's a crazy thought, and I don't know if it's enforceable legally, but has anyone ever wondered if Sharp didn't want to play center and it was part of him agreeing to resign in Chicago? Maybe he has a clause that dictates he will not be required to play center... It's glaringly obvious that we have a hole in the 2C, but Sharp was never put there after he signed the new contract.

I've never thought that. I would guess it could be a possibility, but a remote possibility. Look at Sharp's demeanor he isn't arrogant. After he signed that contract and got the money it really shouldn't matter the position he plays. If he had an incentive clause like mlb players I could see him caring about what position he plays. Say for instance if he hits 30G he gets a 500,000 bonus. But his money is set in stone.

If Sharp did have a clause in the contract saying he only will play forward or any player having a stipulation in their contract dictating what they want over what a coach could do it would be ignorant for a GM to allow a player to control the coach. It sets a bad precedent. If a player had that in the contract they would definitely be waving the trade clause and give the GM the ability to move them out.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Both have a role on this team as soon as we have a season. They are two different roles though. Saad is a very cerebral player. Perfect third wheel for Kane and Toews, Hossa and Sharp. Shaw is the solid but unspectacular, knitty gritty winger to Bolland.

Nailed it. Although I did not see Shaw playing so well at center. That has been a pleasant surprise.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Saad has already convinced me that he can play on any line and be effective. His game has grown in leaps and bounds and I'm genuinely excited to see just how good he can be. I'm still not convinced about Shaw, mainly due to his small frame, but I must admit I'm warming to his competitiveness.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The 2011 Draft has potential to be EPIC for the Hawks.

Saad and Shaw are already established NHL players (and not the kind that make the Islanders on the 4th line because they're too cheap to acquire real players.. both have been playing excellent in their roles for the #1 team in the league). Only other guys that are there from that class were top 10 picks.

Danault is looking like a great prospect. McNeill is a solid prospect as well. Both were first round picks.
Clendening is having a very nice year in the AHL and is looking like he has an NHL future.
Paliotta (3rd round), Broadhurst (7th round), Dahlbeck (3rd round), and Shalunov (4th round) have all been progressing nicely since being drafted and are prospects to keep an eye on. Wouldn't be surprised if a couple of those guys end up as full-time Hawks one day.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think Bowman has proven his ability to draft solid players in all rounds....he hasnt had any top 10 picks, yet still has landed a number of gems...with Shaw and Ross I think he will go down as a mastermind for snagging those two kids in 5th rounds respectively. If you havent seen Garret Ross play, you will be glad to know he is a more skilled Shaw and imo will make a serious case to make this team next year depending upon availbility.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think Bowman has proven his ability to draft solid players in all rounds....he hasnt had any top 10 picks, yet still has landed a number of gems...with Shaw and Ross I think he will go down as a mastermind for snagging those two kids in 5th rounds respectively. If you havent seen Garret Ross play, you will be glad to know he is a more skilled Shaw and imo will make a serious case to make this team next year depending upon availbility.

I hope you're right. Keep in mind he's an overager though so he's been dominating kids he's older than. It's tough to say how he'll do against professionals.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I hope you're right. Keep in mind he's an overager though so he's been dominating kids he's older than. It's tough to say how he'll do against professionals.

agreed. but he has that edge that makes him look like a player that can translate to the pro game easier then others. I just come away impressed every time I see him play, sometimes players just get it and develope a bit later then the rest.. and to be fair, he put up great numbers last year almost a ppg pace on a very deep team where he wasnt getting top line everything minutes. he has done a lot when given the chance.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
He already got lots of value out of his 5th round picks... they usually don't make it to the NHL and Shaw already has done more than you would expect...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad