Saad or Shaw

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Saad. Within two years. I think Saad will make the team whenever they start up, but Shaw's a bit more proven still.

Shaw should settle into a solid bottom-6 winger, Saad could end up being an impactful top-6 LW.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012
I see Shaw making a bigger impact as a 3rd liner. Unfortunately I think Saad will bust.
Out of our current prospects I think the biggest impact will be from Teravainen (just seems too talented to not make a big impact) followed by Danault. Danault reminds me of Bergeron.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I see Shaw making a bigger impact as a 3rd liner. Unfortunately I think Saad will bust.
Out of our current prospects I think the biggest impact will be from Teravainen (just seems too talented to not make a big impact) followed by Danault. Danault reminds me of Bergeron.

And you think Saad will bust.. because? Just one of those 'gut' feelings?

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Tough call. Shaw's proving to be a great bottom 6 agitator. He hits a ton for his size and has some skill.

Saad could put up more points as a top 6 power forward and can do some damage around the net, but he has to prove himself still. Saad probably has more potential. I'd like to see him have a shot in the NHL whenever the lockout ends.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think Saad will be more impactful than Shaw, although I think both will be solid NHL'ers. Saad mainly because usually top-6 forwards get more ice time and have more impact than bottom-6 forwards. Both are instinctual players who read the play very well which is why I don't think either will bust at the NHL level. They both can play in all three zones and have a knack for being where the puck is.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
For our sakes, hopefully it's Saad. We know Shaw can play in the NHL but he's a low-ceiling guy who doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. If it ends up being Shaw that will mean Saad hasn't lived up to his potential which would suck for Hawk fans.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
For our sakes, hopefully it's Saad. We know Shaw can play in the NHL but he's a low-ceiling guy who doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. If it ends up being Shaw that will mean Saad hasn't lived up to his potential which would suck for Hawk fans.

Disagree with this. Shaw seems to be one of those players that makes the most out of his opportunities.. Gets in the dirty areas and always seems to be in the right spot. Did a great job of agitating as well, just needs to put on some weight. Perfect for the 3rd line but he also played well on the 1st.

I will hold out on Saad until he gets some games under his belt.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Both have a role on this team as soon as we have a season. They are two different roles though. Saad is a very cerebral player. Perfect third wheel for Kane and Toews, Hossa and Sharp. Shaw is the solid but unspectacular, knitty gritty winger to Bolland.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

Hard to call a mid 2nd round pick a bust, even if he doesn't pan out.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Agreed. I wish Shaw was about 30 lbs heavier as well. Just can't see him playing that style game in and game out in the NHL.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
Both will have impacts on the Hawks as the team deems fit for themselves to.

Saad will have a place in the top-six as a possible star. Shaw will be a very solid bottom-six agitating scorer, which is what this team needs.

Slvrdwn

May 31, 2010
Toronto
Both have a role on this team as soon as we have a season. They are two different roles though. Saad is a very cerebral player. Perfect third wheel for Kane and Toews, Hossa and Sharp. Shaw is the solid but unspectacular, knitty gritty winger to Bolland.

Came here to say this. Bickell-Bolland-Shaw will cause a lot of frustration for other teams, while saad will help solidify the hawks top-6. Once Teravainen comes over the lineup gets pretty intimidating through 9.

Since the hawks have a top-6 filled with high caliber players already in Toews, Kane, Hossa and Sharp I can see Shaw having just as much of an impact albeit in a different role. He's replacing Frolik, who seems to only really show up for the playoffs, and last year was no slouch himself in the playoffs.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If we get the Shaw we saw last season, I think he makes a bigger impact just because he is what we need more of, energy guys who can turn the game around with a big hit, or a nice fight. I don't see Saad making a big impact for another year or 2.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Saad should be able to do the things Shaw does but with significantly more skill. Whether he commits to playing on the edge or not remains to be seen. It's the one potential weakness that always gets brought up with him. He has all of the tools to be an awesome power forward though.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If it's Shaw, than it is safe to label Saad a bust. All that really needs to be said at this point, just need to let it play out now.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Saad should be able to do the things Shaw does but with significantly more skill. Whether he commits to playing on the edge or not remains to be seen. It's the one potential weakness that always gets brought up with him. He has all of the tools to be an awesome power forward though.

Uh, he won't. It's not the way he plays. He can throw his weight around, but if you're expecting him to be a bruising powerfoward, who, on every shift, is trying to destroy people all over the ice, you're going to be disappointed.

The guy I liken Saad to is Patrick Marleau. I don't think he'll be as good as Marleau, but that's a good comparison for playing style IMO.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He doesn't have to be a wrecking ball but I want him to go to the dirty areas to score and throw his weight around more than I've seen. I'm very impressed with his skill he could take it to another level with his size. It depends how good he ends up being. He can't be a soft big man that puts in 20 goals a year, that just isn't going to cut it.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
He doesn't have to be a wrecking ball but I want him to go to the dirty areas to score and throw his weight around more than I've seen. I'm very impressed with his skill he could take it to another level with his size. It depends how good he ends up being. He can't be a soft big man that puts in 20 goals a year, that just isn't going to cut it.

I personally see him being closer to that, than the PF you (and us all) want him to be.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The only thing Saad needs to be is a better top 6 winger than Carcillo and Brunette. He clearly has the offensive ability to do that and he has size to boot. The Hawks dont NEED another elite top 6 winger when we have Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp. Its not a need for us. Saad is going to be a nice complimentary piece for our top 6 IMHO. Nothing more, nothing less.

Atleast for a while. I mean, he is only 20, 21 by the time the next season starts up. I'm sure after 3-4 years playing with the big 4 Saad will develop into a 60-70 point guy.

RomersWorld*

Those expecting Saad to be a powerforward are just setting themselves up for disappointment. He is not that. And people keep mentioning his size like he is some physical beast but he isn't that either.

Kyle Beach 6'3 205
Troy Brouwer 6'2 215
Viktor Stalberg 6'3 210
Bryan Bickell 6'4 225
Jimmy Hayes 6'6 223
Eric Daze 6'6 235
Brandon Saad 6'1 203

Saad has good size, but he isn't someone like Bickell or Hayes who need to be physical because if they are...then look out. Those guys are bigger than a lot of players so if they are physical they can do a lot of damage. I think he could be like Stalberg, who basically had no physical play when he got here but now he is actually pretty physical and can throw 4 hits a night. The problem lies when he goes 4 games with only 1 hit. Saad has no problems throwing hits and going into the dirty areas but that isn't what he does best. He is a great skater, good hockey IQ, and good skills but not elite.

The good thing about Saad is that he isn't like Stalberg in that he has no game in close...Saad can also play around the net but he isn't Tomas Kopecky...screening the goalie all the time. That job is done by Ben Smith at Rockford and he does a surprisingly good job of it on the PP.

I hope that Saad can become a guy like Max Pacioretty or Pat Marleau or James Neal. I'd gladly take the James Neal from Dallas who put up 27 goals and 55 points while playing physical hockey. But IMO if Saad becomes a guy with 150+ hits then we should be surprised...not expect that type of thing. In his 4 games in the NHL he was credited with 0 hits.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The thing about Saad is that he's not overly aggressive. He's calculated. He relies on his positioning and awareness on the ice to cause turnovers and disrupt the other team, whether on the forecheck or the backcheck. That's not to say he's "soft".. when I saw him last year he routinely went to the front of the net on the PP and was always involved along the boards and in the cycle.. but, again, he's not a high-energy, physical player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad