Confirmed with Link: Ryane Clowe to Rangers for NYR 2013 2nd, FLA 2013 3rd, Conditional 2nd 2014

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Oh, no doubt. That's going to be the big difference here. The Rangers wasted picks to rent Antropov, but at least they didn't sign him to a bad extension. This time, I have a feeling that they'll be giving up picks in order to hand out a bad extension.

I wonder about an army ready to go to war with that contract & a used beat up tank. He may win some battles but will he be around to finish off the War?

Meh, I'm fried today, game start yet? ;)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
All 3 of those guys added cheap homegrown toughnmess, I didnt say they are Clowe. My point is you can find toughness in the draft and have it worked into a Cup winner. Clowe was brought in mostly for his 'jam' (ugh).

He asked when have I been wrong, I gave him a recent outline, I included every player I liked at our spot, no hindsight, all this info is available if you search the old threads.

Byers was an injuryfest all through his development, but the injuries mean nothing?? Classic Jon....

Sauer was also an injuryfest, and a player I liked very much, but would have never drafted knowing the injuries were blatantly obvious.

No, I'd hire SBOB for GM, Edge for head scout, talent evaluator. You, Sting, BRB, TRXW, Gagline, Bob, and Jon are all capable NA scouts ;)

wow blue. not even a mention.... cant i be a euro scout ? consider me hurt ;)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not a huge fan of this deal, as I feel it was an overpayment for a guy who sure looks like he is on the decline.

Besides the fact that I don't think this team is a championship contender right now, I see little point in throwing picks around.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
reeks of a "just make the playoffs " move. what slats has done has very little value other than giving our coach more guys that fit his mold.

after the 2 moves, im just more than a little concerned about who exactly is going to score goals for us now and in the future.

we sure are going to be tough to play against with all this jam.

and tougher to watch too....

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
fair enough

i wont be paid in euros though will i ?

No, but do they still have russian rubles? :D

Not a huge fan of this deal, as I feel it was an overpayment for a guy who sure looks like he is on the decline.

Besides the fact that I don't think this team is a championship contender right now, I see little point in throwing picks around.

Now I know I'm not crazy, my GM and I are seeing eye to eye.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Can i be Scottish Scout?

Here is my report: They're all ****

Job done

Head Scotty ! Don't take any haggis from no one !

reeks of a "just make the playoffs " move. what slats has done has very little value other than giving our coach more guys that fit his mold.

after the 2 moves, im just more than a little concerned about who exactly is going to score goals for us now and in the future.

we sure are going to be tough to play against with all this jam.

and tougher to watch too....

:laugh: Funny, but really not.

'Just make the playoffs'

I could kill LA Kings for doing that last year :shakehead

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
The funny part of all this, and other acquisitions, is that we are all looking at clowe based upon what he was. If it we're 5 yrs ago I would b way more excited.

What he is now is an aging power forward type player who has had an awful year.At this point, we need this guy to just not suk.

He brings an element to this team that on paper sounds good. He's hard to play against but that's when he's on the top if his game. He's not. And at this point of the season with this team, we need goals and this guy brings exactly zero of those with him.

He's trending down and he's been hurt. With his struggling game and his so-so skating, I'm not sure i would be looking at him as anything more than a rental.

Could Clowe be our Bill Guerin?

Last edited:

NHRangerfan

Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector 9m
John Tortorella says Derick Brassard and John Moore will play for #NYR tonight, and that Clowe has jam, bang, and grind. Hat trick.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Clowe is Prust on steroids. It's what doctor ordered for the Rangers.
Why do you need goals from every*****one? Its not a Fantasy League.
Picks-schmicks... Most of the picks outside the 1st round do not make it to NHL.
What are the odds that any of those picks will become Ryan Clowe?
Close to ZERO.
It's an excellent trade if he signs. It is an okay trade if he walks. I doubt the latter.

Not so fast.
I'm optimistic about the rest of his game, but does he still have the wheels?
If not, why the apparent steady decline in footspeed over last year and a half?

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Clowe coming to NY isn't a bad deal.

He adds some of the toughness lost by the departed Dubinsky, Prust, and Rupp.

But scoring is what this team needs, and unless Clowe becomes that again (at his best he is good for about 20 or so goals per year), this won't really help the team where it needs it most.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I started a thread below on this but thought it could be discussed here too as to how trading second and third round picks hasn't really resulted in the Rangers missing out on significant players over the last decade or so:

The thought of this randomly, what has happened to the players that have been selected with picks the Rangers have traded over the last 10 years or so for UFA rentals/vets/upgrades etc. Would be cool to continue following this for the next couple of years as well. I will also look at players selected 5 or so spots after the Rangers were supposed to select. Im not going to count pick to pick trades. So here we go:

2002:

- Rangers 1st to Panthers (Bure): Eric Nystrom (selected after: Ballard, Eminger, Semin, Higgins, Niinimaki)
- 2nd to Panthers (Bure): Robert Globke (Lindstrom, Holtet, Daley, Greene, Linhart)
- 4th to Oilers (Poti): Ivan Koltsov (Kalteva, Hulva, Desautels, Immonen, Almtorp)

2003:

- 3rd to Flyers (Lindros): Stefan Ruzicka (Maunce, Werner, Barulin, Picard, Hynes)
- 4th to Panthers (Bure): Guillium Desbiens (Lassila, Redicker, Saunders, Blaho, Bissonnette)

2004:

- 2nd to Avs (Barnaby): David Shantz (Pick originally from the Panthers. Peters, J. Smith, Lewis, Bryan Bickel, Volscenko)
- 4th (Mironov): Fredrik Naslund (Schafer, Painchaud, Fugere, Rome, Carson)
- 7th (Betts): Matt Schinder (Verance, Pottruff, Bouthiolette, Tuominin, Curry)
- 8th (Pushor): Matt Greer (Macintyre, Fiedler, Christie, Carefoot, Fukufuji)

2005:

- No trades for players during draft.

2006:

- 3rd (Ozolinsh): John DeGray (Hillier - Rangers pick, Sesito, Holloway, J. Armstrong, Ahnelov)

2007:

- 3rd (Bourret): Robert Bortuzzo (Palmieri, Zabotel, Thang, Camron, Pielmeir)
- 4th (Rucchin): Brett Bruneteau (Dwight King, Falk, Caputi, Scheive, Patterson)

2008:

- 3rd (Avery): Corey Fienhage (Henrique, Cousineau, Deserres, McMillan, Quailer, Ian Schultz)

2009:

- 2nd (Antropov): Kenny Ryan (Dumoulin, Panik, Rodin, Gelinas, Orlov)
- 5th (Chad Johnson): Andy Bathgate ( Andres Lee, Labrique, Maxwell, Bubnick, Pelech)

2010:

- 3rd (Boyle): Jordan Weal (Bournival, Janosik, Leach, Max Gardiner, Sundher)
-6th (Niemi): Tanner Lane (Dahlstrom, Davidson, Abeltshauser, Macauly, Gothberg)

2011:

- 2nd (Erixon): Markus Granlund (Edmundson, Nieto, Oulette, Gibson, Sundstrom)
- 2nd (Erixon): Tyler Wortherspoon (Kucherov, Bengtsson, Lucia, Prince, Perhonen)
- 3rd (Mcabe): Logan Shaw (Catenacci, Serville, Dahlbeck, Andreoff, Camara)
- 6th (Shelley): Danil Sobchenko (Lieuwen, Pribyl, Jardine, Balisey, McCormick)

I'll do 2012 and list the recent traded picks a bit later!

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
As a Sharks fan and Clowe being one of my favorite players during his time I am rooting for you guys now.

He will score (obviously) but his playmaking is under-rated and he is great at using his body on the boards in the offensive zone.

He will be missed and congrats to you guys on getting to see him often now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad