Player Discussion Ryan Smyth

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I mean pretty corny if he did do that but honestly who cares. Ive heard some iffy stories on Smyth but hes clearly not a horrible dude, maybe just an overly competitive one.

Even if he is a dick, doesnt change my on-ice memories of him as a kid. Still one of my faves & Oil legend.
I don’t think the game of hockey could ask for a better ambassador. Maybe not HOF material but an absolute legend.

Reactions: yukoner88

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You ever seen Breaking Bad? Or Better Call Saul?

Mike Ermhentrout would have told the ref the same thing.

Do what's fair. Nothing more nothing less. It's all about honesty.
Don't try and cheat the system.
Don't take what's not yours.

Props to Smytty. Shining beacon of honesty and hard work. If they can't respect that, then f*** them.

Last edited:

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
If I had contract negotiations that could have factors like goals and assists making a difference to what I made I would care a lot too. Only Smyth in that case was going to make more or less money based on goals scoreds since he was effective at getting the valued goal of nineties to early 2000s. Deflection and tap ins were a lot of the goals your team got especially in the playoffs.

So if Smyth wanted to make sure it was recorded on his career where stats matter historically and in pay I dont blame him.

Also back then reviews in all arenas varied in quality you could not assume a later review would always change it who actually scored the goal as some arenas had very few cameras in non hd. You didn't get all the slow frame by frame capture

Smyth was a lot do what oil fans loved. He was physically a player that should have had half the goals due to his physical ability but his desire made him great.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I question whether he's not just making this up or tailoring someone else's story to make his own.

I swear that I heard Ryan Whitney tell the exact same story, but it was when he was on the Oilers and he robbed a goal from RNH in his first pre-season game.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I have never listened to that podcast and now I likely never will.

Smytty went to the WC AFTER the playoffs 5 times you f'n meathead. (Missing the playoffs?)

I guess you wonder why O'Brien never played for Canada. (Intelligence not his strong suit.)

Oh and another thing Shane O', do you think the kid would have liked to tell the story about how he got credit for the goal but didn't really score it? I am sure he would feel better lying about it to himself and his buddies/family. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I question whether he's not just making this up or tailoring someone else's story to make his own.

I swear that I heard Ryan Whitney tell the exact same story, but it was when he was on the Oilers and he robbed a goal from RNH in his first pre-season game.
I think your right

Smytty went to the WC AFTER the playoffs 5 times you f'n meathead. (Missing the playoffs?)

I guess you wonder why O'Brien never played for Canada. (Intelligence not his strong suit.)
Truth

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I mean pretty corny if he did do that but honestly who cares. Ive heard some iffy stories on Smyth but hes clearly not a horrible dude, maybe just an overly competitive one.

Even if he is a dick, doesnt change my on-ice memories of him as a kid. Still one of my faves & Oil legend.
I'll always remember him crying in the airport. That dude has a serious sensitive soul in him)))

If I had contract negotiations that could have factors like goals and assists making a difference to what I made I would care a lot too. Only Smyth in that case was going to make more or less money based on goals scoreds since he was effective at getting the valued goal of nineties to early 2000s. Deflection and tap ins were a lot of the goals your team got especially in the playoffs.

So if Smyth wanted to make sure it was recorded on his career where stats matter historically and in pay I dont blame him.

Also back then reviews in all arenas varied in quality you could not assume a later review would always change it who actually scored the goal as some arenas had very few cameras in non hd. You didn't get all the slow frame by frame capture

Smyth was a lot do what oil fans loved. He was physically a player that should have had half the goals due to his physical ability but his desire made him great.
A prime Smyth would be a nice addition to this team, though I think Hyman is a comparable and overall more complete player. But nobody can do what Smyth did in front of the net even today.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I'll always remember him crying in the airport. That dude has a serious sensitive soul in him)))

A prime Smyth would be a nice addition to this team, though I think Hyman is a comparable and overall more complete player. But nobody can do what Smyth did in front of the net even today.
Hyman has done plays that in the moment gave me a feeling I didn't have since Smyth. Where he just made a play or goal out of determination. Not by skill like mcdavid but just Hyman wanted the goal.

And I do find that Hyman moves up a lot in my appreciation of him as he can make some plays that give me a memory of Smyth

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I think a lot of people have never been chirped around here. At best that is midget chirping.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Oh and another thing Shane O', do you think the kid would have liked to tell the story about how he got credit for the goal but didn't really score it? I am sure he would feel better lying about it to himself and his buddies/family. :rolleyes:
Podcasts in general as a format seem to exist on the basis of stirring and being controversial. So that everything that was intended in the dumb podcast was realized. That people are talking about it, which is the saddest thing because it reinforces these rabble.

The best possible response is to not listen to this nature of podcast and cease even acknowledging its existence.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Podcasts in general as a format seem to exist on the basis of stirring and being controversial. So that everything that was intended in the dumb podcast was realized. That people are talking about it, which is the saddest thing because it reinforces these rabble.

The best possible response is to not listen to this nature of podcast and cease even acknowledging its existence.
I don't agree totally. I subscribe to about 50 podcasts. Rogan, Radiolabs, Hockey Think tank, 32 Thoughts, a few educational ones. Almost everything I listen to has zero controversy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00