Player Discussion Ryan Smyth Signs with Stony Plain Eagles

1990*

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
What a guy. A true lover of playing the game and that was always obvious.

What a great opportunity for more normal players to be able to play with a legend and kids and families be able to see him.

Kudos to Ryan. Always one of the best loved players in my book. I'll take in some action.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
What a guy. A true lover of playing the game and that was always obvious.

What a great opportunity for more normal players to be able to play with a legend and kids and families be able to see him.

Kudos to Ryan. Always one of the best loved players in my book. I'll take in some action.

Hope we can see a few hi-lites somewhere....guessing YouTube.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
A buddy of mine lives out there. I let him know to check it out, although I don't even know if he likes hockey.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Good for Smytty. Always respect his passion, love, and appreciation for the game.

Seconded. Regretable circumstances around him leaving but it made for a nice story when he came back.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
damn I lived in Stony Plain last winter but moved back to the Yukon this past summer. Would've loved to have been able to see this

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I've never really liked Smyth personally (crocodile tears over a few hundred thousand - if he really wanted to be an Oiler he would have made it work and not gone to the Isles and Avs - and the way he forced his way back onto the Oilers - along with his 'never leave money on the table' quote), but even I don't doubt his love for the game. Hopefully he does well; I'd like to see him get involved with minor hockey in some capacity.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
What a guy. Has all the money he will ever need to feed his family. Just a rink rat. Kudos to Smytty. I hope he is safe out there as sometimes guys like to make an impression on a well known guy.

Killer Z

Aug 24, 2005
Edmonton, AB
My buddy is the captain of the Eagles. He said the entire team is incredibly excited to have him. Smytty is now easily the best player in Senior Men's.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I heard that last night was the only game he'll play until the 2nd round of the playoffs, but he did get a goal and an assist last night.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
pKcj5I4.jpg

Friend of mine with Smyth... pretty cool. Still wearing his Oilers bucket :laugh:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I've never really liked Smyth personally (crocodile tears over a few hundred thousand - if he really wanted to be an Oiler he would have made it work and not gone to the Isles and Avs - and the way he forced his way back onto the Oilers - along with his 'never leave money on the table' quote), but even I don't doubt his love for the game. Hopefully he does well; I'd like to see him get involved with minor hockey in some capacity.

He took quite a few pills salary wise to stay here prior to him leaving. I don't blame him for looking to get his once the team was finally healthy financially.

You don't like him for leaving, but also don't like him for wanting to come back after realizing that he made a mistake?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What a guy. Has all the money he will ever need to feed his family. Just a rink rat. Kudos to Smytty. I hope he is safe out there as sometimes guys like to make an impression on a well known guy.

I think th eleague has a bit more respect than that. These guys are all out of pro hockey and got nothing to prove. I would actually wager hes safer since guys have respect for the guy

I think its awesome. Although Smyth never won major awards or won a cup or won scoring titles, I think he is one of the best Oiler ambassadors ever. He wasnt raking up points in the glory days, he was battling it out in the rough times. Total class act and should be up in the rafters

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive played some pick up games with guys not good enough for the AHL and they tore it up against some really good comp (midget AAA, Junior a/b guys) I can only imagine how good Smyth would look. Goes from brutal in the NHL (in his last season) to probaly Lemieux lite in senior

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Always felt Smyth was only an NHLer because of the clutch and grab era.

Always represented medicore Oilers hockey.

The last ten years really opened my eyes to what a good player he was and how impressive that team actually was. Especially with their salary restrictions back then.

He was not worth the money he asked for and got and should not have left over money but that's in the past.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

The last ten years really opened my eyes to what a good player he was and how impressive that team actually was. Especially with their salary restrictions back then.

He was not worth the money he asked for and got and should not have left over money but that's in the past.

Interesting perspective.

The Oilers would be a far better team with a few Ryan Smyths (in his prime) on the team in my opinion.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Smyth did a few things exceedingy well, but they were things that wont wow you. He was a grinder and a exceptional crease player. It doesnt take tremendous skill to be good in this area, but it does take a ton of heart and determination. Every bottom 6 grinder can say they like going into the dirty areas, but its another thing to actually do it and do it game in and game out for 82 games. You can to take a beating for 15 minutes by some massive defenseman. After a while of taking these cross checks, slashes and shots off the ankle, players tend to back out of this area. However Smyth made that his house and scored some 30 goal seasons as a result

I think he could have been developed a bit differently. He did have good skill out of junior, so maybe could have tried to hack it as a second line skill guy. But he made the decision that hed be a more valuable asset as a skilled grinder. I think he chose right

Id kill to have 2 Smyth lite players.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I never thought he was worth the money he was asking for either but he was easily the best Oiler for a few seasons. I don't blame him for being upset enough to leave over a few hundred thousand dollars. He was asked to take below market value for a couple of contracts which he did to help the team out. As soon as the team was in a better financial position they threw big money at everybody on the team except him. I'd have been angry too. There were several guys given huge raises after that Cup run that didn't deserve it either and turned out to be big busts. The team might have been better off spending that cash on a guy that truly wanted to be here and never cheated anybody with his effort as opposed to where it was spent.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Smyth did a few things exceedingy well, but they were things that wont wow you. He was a grinder and a exceptional crease player. It doesnt take tremendous skill to be good in this area, but it does take a ton of heart and determination. Every bottom 6 grinder can say they like going into the dirty areas, but its another thing to actually do it and do it game in and game out for 82 games. You can to take a beating for 15 minutes by some massive defenseman. After a while of taking these cross checks, slashes and shots off the ankle, players tend to back out of this area. However Smyth made that his house and scored some 30 goal seasons as a result

I think he could have been developed a bit differently. He did have good skill out of junior, so maybe could have tried to hack it as a second line skill guy. But he made the decision that hed be a more valuable asset as a skilled grinder. I think he chose right

Id kill to have 2 Smyth lite players.

2 Smyth lites and some D and we're a whole new team.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Don't kid yourselves, fringe NHL players are still absolute allstars on any non pro league. Even fringe defenceman that you think can "barely" skate will blow you away out there. Smyth, even at 40 will be absolutely dominating if he tried.

I used to play pick up/shinny/practice at KC when I was younger with fringe/established players like Sean Brown, Douglas Murray (I think), Iggy, Rocky Thompson, Brian Swanson and some other unnamed bubble farm players. They were amazing.

Got absolutely crushed crossing the blueline fishing for a puck by Sean Brown on a suicide pass. No remorse man, he didn't even look back to ask if I was ok. I wasn't mad, I even realized he held back on it. I can't imagine how hard it would have been if he intended to. Murray "rubbed" out my buddy along the board for the puck. Said after he'd never been man handled so easily before.

They were probably playing at 15% of their potential. Not to mention how hard and accurate their shots were. Another level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad