Confirmed with Link: Ryan Smyth agrees to 2 year deal with Oilers. $2.25 per year (July, 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
I can agree with this. You are likely right that his value is more as a player/mentor type.

People say it was Oates who made Stoll and Horcoff as good as they are now at faceoffs

Maybe it takes a smyth to show Harti and Magnus how to grind out goals

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
So many so excited to sign this guy for two years. The complaining has already started a quarter of the way into a short year. Wait until next January.....

My bad. I didn't realize people were praising him. At least recently that is. I guess if a guy were to go further back into the thread they might stumble upon some over-zealous praising. As it stands now, I think people understand what type of player they are dealing with currently despite his past success' in the NHL as a character player and somewhat prolific point getter. Unfortunate that his career appears to be ending this way but at the same time it's not like buying out his contract will not be an open issue potentially addressed at seasons end.

Hopefully he decides to hang them up himself and do this team a favour and not vice-versa.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think Smyth is pissed at the team play including his own and his anger and inability to play like he feels he can or used to costs us in penalties. Maybe he needs a wake up and sit for a game. He doesn't seem to be playing his game at all either. Not just speed either, different play.

Hope he gets back to his game or hope the coach uses him differently or hope he's gone.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm not sure anyone could have seen Smyth falling this hard, this quickly. We all knew there would be a further dropoff at some point, but he's gone from 60 to zero in a very short time.

Not shocking, but it's not like this deal is hurting us. What hurts us is A. Not having a better player than him to play of B. Not playing a better player than Smyth.

This by no means is a crippling deal.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
People say it was Oates who made Stoll and Horcoff as good as they are now at faceoffs

Maybe it takes a smyth to show Harti and Magnus how to grind out goals

Bit different because it's not exactly hard to practice one on one with Stoll and Horcoff on how to win draws. Teaching a guy how to grind out goals has to be shown at game speed. And while Smyth could probably show them a few pointers, he just isn't the man he once was at showing by example. Horcoff probably show more at this point.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well, I hope some of your predictions turn out to be inaccurate, Replacement. We don't want another Ethan Moreau situation on this hockey club, where a washed-up veteran continues getting minutes - due to politics and dumb management - well past their best before date. In Moreau's case, it went on for 3 years, and we had a much better player - Curtis Glencross - who should have been given a contract and Moreau's roster spot to start the 2008-09 season.

The bells are starting to toll for Ryan Smyth, who turns 37 this month. I mean, come on, this is a young man's game. Accept that reality. It's important for you to recognize that Smyth has lost his spot to a player named Chris Vande Velde - a career minor leaguer. According to Stauffer, Ralph Kreuger likes Vande Velde's game more. Furthermore, Stauffer said there is 'absolutely no way' that Paajarvi is coming out of the line-up at this point. It should be on the podcast, if you want to listen.

Paajarvi, Petrell, and Hartikainen are all better than Smyth, and this isn't going to change. Maybe Smyth bumps Eager or Vande Velde from their spots going forward, or maybe an injury opens up a spot, but there aren't any other scenarios out there that would see him back in the line-up at this point.

The silver lining here is that we finally have an organization that puts merit first. I'm sure this was a tough call. Smytty's had a great career, but he also needs to start looking forward. It happens to every player eventually.
While all of this is true in the moment, its true in the moment.
There was no end of scrutiny here that Hemsky was done, that Horc was done.
Whatever one feels about those players has their been rebound or not? At least offensively Hemsky is challenging D in a way that few other forwards on this team are regardless of birthdate. But I think every club requires some vets on it.

Smyth is hurting the team. That is unacceptable for a veteran player in his role..
He certainly hurt the club in the last game. Wouldn't dispute that. Do you feel that he's hurting them in most games?

He's on the PK, playing spot duty in bottom six, I actually think some of the kids play better when he's on the ice. I think he's been a reasonable role model for guys like Harti, Paajarvi, Lander, MPS that are getting bottom six minutes. When I look at harti particularly I'm seeing some Smythism but with more size.

Its easy at this point for me to join the crowd and say bury him but I think this year particularly in a shortened season will still see a lot better play from Smyth.

Turrican*

On the bright side, he is tied with Iginla for goals... For much less money!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Hell Smyth tried 3 times to get the Oilers going with a shorthanded goal.

3rd try they finally clicked and MPS broke his goalless streak. Assist to Smyth.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Smyth's Mia culpa (sp?)in the papers the other day is a good sign. If he iliminates the bad penalties, then he is okay.

He does do decently as a role player, but he just has to realize he just is not as good as he once was and play within his assigned role. I think that is about all we can ask of him at this point. I still wish we only signed him to a one year at most, but whatever. He is here and if he figures out his role, he is not an issue.

He has to see that the youngsters are faster and pushing for his spot. Maybe that makes him play smarter. If he has another game with dumb penalties on the back check or in the offensive zone, then he needs to be scratched a few games for sure.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Spector just said the Smyth is scratched tonight, any confirmation. If so I take back allot of negative things about Krueger.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Whatever one feels about those players has their been rebound or not? At least offensively Hemsky is challenging D in a way that few other forwards on this team are regardless of birthdate. But I think every club requires some vets on it.

He certainly hurt the club in the last game. Wouldn't dispute that. Do you feel that he's hurting them in most games?

He's on the PK, playing spot duty in bottom six, I actually think some of the kids play better when he's on the ice. I think he's been a reasonable role model for guys like Harti, Paajarvi, Lander, MPS that are getting bottom six minutes. When I look at harti particularly I'm seeing some Smythism but with more size.

Its easy at this point for me to join the crowd and say bury him but I think this year particularly in a shortened season will still see a lot better play from Smyth.
I agree with this, while his play has been less than stellar on most nights he plays an effective bottom 6 role. He is exactly what we have paid him to be.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

This year I do feel that he has either been a non factor or he has in fact hurt the team. Smyth has to be better than that...I think he can still contribute. I am not sure if the lockout has hurt his play or if Ryan is having a hard time adjusting o a lesser role but something is clearly amiss.

I don't think this has to be that polarizing where you bury him or support him. As I mentioned I think he has some game left.
I just don't' think a sample of games at the end of last season and 12 games this season is enough to determine that Smyth is 'done'> last year was a result of being overused IMO. This season I see something else going on and I suspect its the mental adjustment it takes to accept a lesser role. I also think playing centre has hurt his game.
The bottom line for me is that Smyth has to be consistently better than he has been at any point this season so far.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Yeah, people jump the gun a bit too quick--but there is a possibility he may be done. He's almost 37 and the extended off-season may have done irreparable damage. It's not like he was lighting it up at the end of last season either.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
I agree with this, while his play has been less than stellar on most nights he plays an effective bottom 6 role. He is exactly what we have paid him to be.

Really? I didn't realize we wanted another Etahan Moreau. :shakehead

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Hopefully he see's (is that a word) this and if being benched and reading that does'nt light a fire, nothing will.

Smyth doesn't need a fire lit. He's been playing decent on the PK, and in a shutdown role.

The problem is a) too many penalties and b) he was playing centre - which is NOT his natural position.

Put him back at wing, and tell him to stop taking so many offensive zone penalties and he'll be fine. I'm hoping that he would feel more comfortable in his usual position and won't take any more penalties then.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
Smyth doesn't need a fire lit. He's been playing decent on the PK, and in a shutdown role.

The problem is a) too many penalties and b) he was playing centre - which is NOT his natural position.

Put him back at wing, and tell him to stop taking so many offensive zone penalties and he'll be fine. I'm hoping that he would feel more comfortable in his usual position and won't take any more penalties then.

Lighting a fire also means playing smart, i.e., don't take stupid penalties.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Like I said in the other thread you posted this in Warrener is a jackass in the first place for burying the player that was the leader of his own team for years.

Iggy was flying against Dallas and the best player on the ice.

Rhett should shut up.

Because franky we don't give a damn.

It could be that because Rhett called him out that Iginla decided to wake up. He was very unnoticeable prior to that.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
It could be that because Rhett called him out that Iginla decided to wake up. He was very unnoticeable prior to that.

1 goal from a complacent veteran with a $7 million cap hit, so Warrener called him out.

Ironic that it takes Calgary-based media to call out our own complacent veterans, while Edmonton media kisses ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad