Prospect Info: Ryan Poehling - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The thing that was lacking most on his game at C in the NHL was his play in his own zone. If he could get 25 points and look good in his own end, that would be great. But I can't expect that given what we saw last time he played C in the NHL.
Poehling was having a very good training camp a two years back till that concussion ...which ended up completely derailing his season.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Indeed. He was clearly not ready, but worked hard with Bouchard on the details and overall game.

sure

it was also 64 AHL games... not even a full season. and there is a big gap between 2 points in 27 NHL games and the 50 points Danault put up.

there is room for him to be a lot better than he was and still not be a 2nd line centre today..

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Danault's play without the puck is an elite level skill. Sure, his offensive game was lacking, but you cannot discount just how good his defensive play was.

Expecting Poehling to replace that level of defensive play, while being a 40-50 point centre is not only a tall order, but it's setting expectations that are very, very difficult to attain.

Reactions: Benstheman

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Poehling is one of the guys I'm the most excited to see during the pre-season. I thought his shot was really improved in Laval last year and I just loved his game in the second half of the 2020-2021 season. I think it will translate seamlessly to the big league and that he'll be 3C toward the end of the season

Reactions: nyhabsfan and Tyson

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
sure

it was also 64 AHL games... not even a full season. and there is a big gap between 2 points in 27 NHL games and the 50 points Danault put up.

there is room for him to be a lot better than he was and still not be a 2nd line centre today..

If you considere Danault a legit 2nd line center, he has to be the most unskilled top 6 center in the league... To me Danault was a great shutdown third line center, not enough skills to be more than that.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Yes, scoring 53 points while playing against top lines is a legit 2nd line centre.

47 points in a COVID shortened 71 games is also a legit second line centre.

Go look around the league, that easily puts him in the top 62 Cs in the league. Heck, its close to the top 30.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Well, he's been quoted here a number of times. I still don't know how credible he is. Well, I guess we'll see next months in camp. If there is no veteran C added and Poehling is nowhere near top 9, then it'll goo a long way in determining this guy's credibility

He has already been established as a fake rumor loser.......if he ends up being right due to coincidence it doesn't change anything.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
If you considere Danault a legit 2nd line center, he has to be the most unskilled top 6 center in the league... To me Danault was a great shutdown third line center, not enough skills to be more than that.

As a 2nd line center? One of the most unskilled sure, but also easily the most efficient at 5v5 3 years in a row. Skills doesn’t equate performance. Consistently out scoring the opponents while on the ice = performance. It’s how you win games.

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Danault's play without the puck is an elite level skill. Sure, his offensive game was lacking, but you cannot discount just how good his defensive play was.

Expecting Poehling to replace that level of defensive play, while being a 40-50 point centre is not only a tall order, but it's setting expectations that are very, very difficult to attain.

the unrealistic expectations are ridiculous.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

No doubt Danault was good defensively, but I think he really stood out in last years cup run. Yes, he has been our best defensive C option, but I think his abilities get overblown a bit. The PK has been crap for a while and I sure don't remember Danault playing like he did in the cup run during a regular season. Plus, he's not even amongst league leaders in faceoffs. I'm not even sure he breaks the top 20. Again, yes he was our most valuable, and I get that it's a team game, but I just wanted to point those 2 things out. 5 on 5, he was good. Playing with Tatar and Gally, it was a great line. PK - not so much.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
As long as your C outscores other lines he's doing well. Danault didn't score much in the playoffs but he pretty much always started in his own end and almost never got scored on while playing against elite lines. There aren't many players who could come out of those matchups as well as he did.

I hope Poehling will be good this year, but expecting him to be a second line center, or expecting our center group to be a stregnth this year, is pretty optimistic and quite unlikely. I hope Poehling will be a good 2C at some point, but I'm not holding my breath he establishes himself this year.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yes, scoring 53 points while playing against top lines is a legit 2nd line centre.

47 points in a COVID shortened 71 games is also a legit second line centre.

Go look around the league, that easily puts him in the top 62 Cs in the league. Heck, its close to the top 30.
That's old school hockey. We need PPG Cs and a 40 goalscorer on both lines.
HRI7zad.png

Reactions: LastWordArmy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Yes, he has been our best defensive C option, but I think his abilities get overblown a bit..
I stopped reading here.

Danault is one of the best defensive forwards in the game. His defensive skills are elite and his peers recognize those skills. He provides that skill while posting 40-50 points on a team with little offensive depth through most of his tenure.

Asking or expecting Poehling to replace that is so incredibly unrealistic.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I listened to his podcast appearence, seems to like the city and team and is looking forward to this season. think he'll surprise a few people when he's the third liner and bumps evans/ Paquette

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
At what point do the Kotkaniemi and Poehling threads go back to being about Kotkaniemi and Poehling and not f***ing Phil Danault. Good god.
When people stop living in fantasy land and stop pretending that Poehling is gonna step right in and replace Danault's defensive presence and minute eating ability while putting up 40-50 points.

Let's start have some reasonable expectations about Poehling. I'd be happy if he simply secures a 4th line spot by the end of the season. Expecting him to be shutting down the leagues stars while contributing offensively is absurd.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
When people stop living in fantasy land and stop pretending that Poehling is gonna step right in and replace Danault's defensive presence and minute eating ability while putting up 40-50 points.

Let's start have some reasonable expectations about Poehling. I'd be happy if he simply secures a 4th line spot by the end of the season. Expecting him to be shutting down the leagues stars while contributing offensively is absurd.

I don't think he has the defensive acumen that Danault has nor has he ever displayed anything like that up until now.

Much better with the puck on his stick though. Whether that translates to the bigs, I have no idea but he definitely has more offensive potential though I'd say. Doesn't mean he'll get more points necessarily because of how Danault was used versus Poehling's likely usage.

Reactions: Andy

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I stopped reading here.

Danault is one of the best defensive forwards in the game. His defensive skills are elite and his peers recognize those skills. He provides that skill while posting 40-50 points on a team with little offensive depth through most of his tenure.

I did say "a bit". And I think what I said is valid. Anyway, I agree that Poehling is not taking that spot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I stopped reading here.

We shouldn’t be looking to replace Danault…

Poehling has his own identity as a player and we should be trying to nurture that.

Edit - not suggesting thats what YOU were suggesting.

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Has anybody mentioned Danault yet? You should all be talking about Danault more. I wonder what Phil is doing right this moment?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 417

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I don't think he has the defensive acumen that Danault has nor has he ever displayed anything like that up until now.

Much better with the puck on his stick though. Whether that translates to the bigs, I have no idea but he definitely has more offensive potential though I'd say. Doesn't mean he'll get more points necessarily because of how Danault was used versus Poehling's likely usage.

See this is the silliness.... he isn't better with the puck on his stick until he actually proves that vs NHL competition.

He could be, but there is absolutely no evidence today that he is.

He wasn't a big scorer in college.

He had one great game in the NHL, and then had 1 goal 1 assist in his next 27

He got sent to the AHL and did little there in 19-20

He had a nice 25 games or so in the AHL last year, in a weird season against poor competition due to only facing 3 opponents, and the fact that taxi squads in the NHL removed what would be normal AHL talent.

Could he better than Danault offensively? Maybe, one day. But the idea that he's better with the puck on his stick today? that seems to just put unrealistic expectations on the kid, and then the same people will be calling him a bust next summer when he doesn't have 40 or 50 points.

Reactions: canucklover123
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad