Tribute Ryan O'Reilly welcome to the Toronto Maple Leafs appreciation thread

DirkStraun

Aug 9, 2015
I think #3 Centre would be great because he can play against other team's top lines, which makes it an easier matchup for Matthews and Tavares.

However, if Keefe needed to move him into the top 6 on the wing during a game, I won't be surprised if that happens.
This is how I see it playing out as well. Having those three down the middle is tough for any team to try and match up against. And then if you are pushing for a goal you can move him up to the wing in a top six role. This trade has me all in on the ready to get hurt again train.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019

Dude's gotta great backhand
giphy.gif

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
ROR has a lot of the same attributes Tavares has in tight and in front of the net, doing work around the crease and scoring garbage-y deflection goals and a very old school wrist shot. The ability to JVR his way around the crease, drive to the net in straight lines, I'm very curious to see what he could look like moonlighting with Tavares.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My 3 favourite non Maple Leaf forwards prior to the trade.

Jonathan Toews, Matty Barzal & Ryan O'Reilly..

I was hoping ROR would have been a Leafs original draft pick back in 2009. As a draft junkie, I had O'Reilly on my amateur draft board in the early 20's of the 1st round and Leafs had a pair of 2nd rounders #50 and #57 of which I had hoped they would use to trade up into the 1st round to draft him. Tampa Bay traded up with a 2nd and early 3rd rounder into the 1st round with Detroit and #29 with Reilly still on the board so this was a possibility that I thought the Leafs missed on.

So now he is a finally a Leaf and he was the #1 trade target on my wish list for this TD day move. So now he becomes my favourite Leaf player to replace my former fav Zach Hyman who the let walk away.

I just love the way ROR plays, with heart and grit and pure determination and he is going to be factor in Leafs success.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My 3 favourite non Maple Leaf forwards prior to the trade.

Jonathan Toews, Matty Barzal & Ryan O'Reilly..

I was hoping ROR would have been a Leafs original draft pick back in 2009. As a draft junkie, I had O'Reilly on my amateur draft board in the early 20's of the 1st round and Leafs had a pair of 2nd rounders #50 and #57 of which I had hoped they would use to trade up into the 1st round to draft him. Tampa Bay traded up with a 2nd and early 3rd rounder into the 1st round with Detroit and #29 with Reilly still on the board so this was a possibility that I thought the Leafs missed on.

So now he is a finally a Leaf and he was the #1 trade target on my wish list for this TD day move. So now he becomes my favourite Leaf player to replace my former fav Zach Hyman who the let walk away.

I just love the way ROR plays, with heart and grit and pure determination and he is going to be factor in Leafs success.

What I like about ROR is he can be a good, slow it down, cycle down low running mate for Tavares and create a lot of chaos around the net.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What I like about ROR is he can be a good, slow it down, cycle down low running mate for Tavares and create a lot of chaos around the net.

Have you seen the movie "The Replacements" with Keanu Reeves ..

There is a classic line in that movie when the coach played by Gene Hackman is asked what does this team need to win?

"You Gotta Have Heart" - from The Replacements

Ryan O'Reilly is the epitome of a player that brings miles and miles of heart to the table..

Reactions: Stephen

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
IMO this move makes a top 6 wing far less important. Keep ROR at #3C, and spot him in the top 6. It lengthens the Leafs lineup, and creates a matchup nightmare for other teams
Double shift Nylander onto ROR line in the playoffs every once and awhile.

Especially after he takes those 30 second shifts

Reactions: DirkStraun

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Really like that he wanted to come here.... That's a great sign that he is driven to win. If you wanted to mail it in, you wouldn't have chosen to go to the team under the most pressure to success and under the most high powered microscope.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Have you seen the movie "The Replacements" with Keanu Reeves ..

There is a classic line in that movie when the coach played by Gene Hackman is asked what does this team need to win?

"You Gotta Have Heart" - from The Replacements

Ryan O'Reilly is the epitome of a player that brings miles and miles of heart to the table..

It's a great quote of a great song from the musical Damn Yankees!

Interesting that both Damn Yankees! and The Replacements feature Washington-based teams.

Reactions: Mess

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
IMO this move makes a top 6 wing far less important. Keep ROR at #3C, and spot him in the top 6. It lengthens the Leafs lineup, and creates a matchup nightmare for other teams
I agree with that and it basically give Keefe less headache to think about splitting the big four into four lines if Meier came instead. I see Kerfoot being wi the JT and MM. ROR with Acciari and Calle. Engvall being on the 4th line with Kampf and ZAR.

yurnxt

Apr 7, 2009
The Bergeron line and Kucherov are about to have nightmares after what ROR does to them these playoffs. I don't think a lot of Leaf fans recall just how badly ROR shutdown the Bergeron line in the 2019 SCF.
And he shut down the MacKinnon line in the playoffs just what, 8 months ago? He hasn't declined and fallen off anywhere near as much as haters claim. ROR has struggled this year, by his standards, because he couldn't find consistent chemistry with Kyrou and his most often linemate was Josh Leivo. He has gotten the toughest matchups in the league and is constantly taking D-Zone faceoffs. Then, he broke his foot blocking a shot right when it looked like he was going to break through. I promise you, Dude is currently at minimum 90% of the player he was when he was the Selke Award winning, Conn Smythe Award winning, Stanley Cup Champion. Maple Leaf fans, to fully appreciate ROR, watch this man carefully when he is on the ice, analyze his every move and you will see that he impacts the game by doing the little things consistently right more than virtually anyone, even if he isn't on the score sheet.

The Leafs should deploy him as a center somewhere, if even on the third line, and use him to shut down the biggest threat line of your opponent while simultaneously opening up better matchups for your more threatening scoring lines. That is what ROR was born to do and only one player on Earth arguably does that better, and that player is a certain Center in Boston you may have heard of.

Last edited:

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
And he shut down the MacKinnon line in the playoffs just what, 8 months ago? He hasn't declined and fallen off anywhere near as much as haters claim. ROR has struggled this year, by his standards, because he couldn't find consistent chemistry with Kyrou and his most often linemate was Josh Leivo. He has gotten the toughest matchups in the league and is constantly taking D-Zone faceoffs. Then, he broke his foot blocking a shot right when it looked like he was going to break through. I promise you, Dude is currently at minimum 90% of the player he was when he was the Selke Award winning, Conn Smythe Award winning, Stanley Cup Champion. Maple Leaf fans, to fully appreciate ROR, watch this man carefully when he is on the ice, analyze his every move and you will see that he impacts the game by doing the little things consistently right more than virtually anyone, even if he isn't on the score sheet.

The Leafs should deploy him as a center somewhere, if even on the third line, and use him to shut down the biggest threat line of your opponent while simultaneously opening up better matchups for your more threatening scoring lines. That is what ROR was born to do and only one player on Earth arguably does that better, and that player is a certain Center in Boston you may have heard of.
I'm personally wondering what he could look like with Marner. The hockey IQ and defensive ability between those two alone would be a nightmare for the other team. They'll probably already be on the same pk unit forward-wise but it's tempting to run:

Matthews-Nylander
ROR-Marner
Tavares-Knies

And when the Leafs need to protect a lead or get another goal: ROR-Matthews-Marner

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Bergeron line and Kucherov are about to have nightmares after what ROR does to them these playoffs. I don't think a lot of Leaf fans recall just how badly ROR shutdown the Bergeron line in the 2019 SCF.
People will be surprised how defensively good the forwards will be on every line

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad