Player Discussion Ryan O'Reilly - all purpose discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I just can't understand why people **** on ROR like he's a toilet bowl at a Taco Bell? If you listed the 10,000 things that were most ****ed up about this team he doesn't even come close to making the list. We suck because we have a roster filled with total trash, not because ROR isn't a leader.
people that don't know how modern hockey teams work are looking for a scapegoat. it's nothing new

everyone is entitled to their own take. i do agree that there's way too much negativity here sometimes, and it really does no one any good

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think it's moreso that people are fed up with the team, want big changes, and of the big names to move it feels like moving ROR would hurt less than the Eichel's or the Reinhart's or the Risto's.

He's a different, older age group, we have other centers (if you count Reinhart as a center, maybe with better wingers, and Mittelstadt), and it's reasonable to believe we won't be competitive while he's still in his prime given how the last year or two have played out... and with his pedigree he should have a lot of trade value to improve other equally or more troubled areas on the team. People just see the leadership thing as an excuse to capitalize on this "before it's too late" and we waste more of his prime years playing on a bottom feeder and watch that trade value go away.

I don't necessarily agree that moving him is the best move (overpayment notwithstanding)... but playing devil's advocate. It's more about the return/opportunity, than about shitting on ROR. With the exception of the few who still have a grudge against the guy because of the trade, or the Tim Horton's thing, or whatever else they need to be vindicated about (by him "failing" here and being moved).

Last edited:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think it's moreso that people are fed up with the team, want big changes, and of the big names to move it feels like moving ROR would hurt less than the Eichel's or the Reinhart's or the Risto's.

He's a different, older age group, we have other centers (if you count Reinhart as a center, maybe with better wingers, and Mittelstadt), and it's reasonable to believe we won't be competitive while he's still in his prime given how the last year or two have played out... and with his pedigree he should have a lot of trade value to improve other equally or more troubled areas on the team. People just see the leadership thing as an excuse to capitalize on this "before it's too late" and we waste more of his prime years playing on a bottom feeder and watch that trade value go away.

I don't necessarily agree that moving him is the best move (overpayment notwithstanding)... but playing devil's advocate. It's more about the return/opportunity, than about ****ting on ROR. With the exception of the few who still have a grudge against the guy because of the trade, or the Tim Horton's thing, or whatever else they need to be vindicated about (by him "failing" here and being moved).

Star player just given a 50 million dollar contract drunk drives and abandons the scene before he plays his first game. Totally just a joke guys.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Star player just given a 50 million dollar contract drunk drives and abandons the scene before he plays his first game. Totally just a joke guys.
Kane's off-ice issues didn't seem to prevent the Blackhawks from being successful.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
people that don't know how modern hockey teams work are looking for a scapegoat. it's nothing new

everyone is entitled to their own take. i do agree that there's way too much negativity here sometimes, and it really does no one any good
I wonder how many teams won the cup wth its star player(s) saying they have no passion for the game.

I wonder how many teams won the cup without good leadership

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder how many teams won the cup wth its star player(s) saying they have no passion for the game.

Who said that they have no passion for the game?

O'Reilly never said that he had no passion for the game. He did say that all the losing caused him to lose his love of the game at one point this season.

Those are two completely different things.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

How many teams have won without a top tier 2-way center? Since the 2005 lockout the list is 2007 Ducks (3 HoF players, 2 of them defensemen) and 2009 Pens (Crosby/Malkin/Staal down the middle).

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'd rather not get into it, since there are probably people around here who have seen the worst when it comes to drunk drivers and rightfully have a zero tolerance stance towards it.

If ROR learned his lesson however, thankfully no worse came of it otherwise this would be a completely different story... and I haven't heard any reports of problems since then... I'm not necessarily going to join in the continued mud slinging. As the years since this particular incident goes by, for many it becomes less about the issue and more just patting ourselves on the back for not giving it a rest.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I would rather O'Reilly stays with the Sabres. What he brings to the table in way of hockey talent is something few players in the league can do. If he was traded, I think it is something the Sabres would regret, barring some team going crazy and massively overpaying for him.

At the same time, based on a few things I have heard from him over the last couple of seasons, I at no point want him wearing the C.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Kane's off-ice issues didn't seem to prevent the Blackhawks from being successful.

Kane has won 3 cups. Has RoR even won 3 playoff games?

Not even close to being applicable. Kane backs up his off the ice attitude with superstar play. RoR doesn't. For being an "elite two way" center we have been garbage at penalty killing and haven't had a true shutdown line in years. For possessing such an elite Selke caliber center why is it that we can't throw out a shutdown line? Right, because RoR isn't an elite two way center. He's above average in all facets. That's good. RoR is a damn good player. But he isn't great and he isn't a star. But he's certainly paid and treated like a star. That's a reason we are so bad.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Who said that they have no passion for the game?

O'Reilly never said that he had no passion for the game. He did say that all the losing caused him to lose his love of the game at one point this season.

Those are two completely different things.
Not really. Either way you are not winning the cup.

How many teams have won the Stanley cup with their leader(s) losing the love for the game.

Yes, thats really completely different.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sounds genuine.

Man, if he jack risto dahlin etc get together and really push solely to win, we could be good quick.

Reactions: Chainshot

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Jack and ROR are both fairly emotional guys. It seems like one is quick to anger and the other to sadness.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Combining that interview with Botts’ words, I really don’t think he’s the guy who’s the trade target.

It’s gotta be Risto (and obviously Okposo).

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Combining that interview with Botts’ words, I really don’t think he’s the guy who’s the trade target.

Doing the Murray Myers for Bogo trade 2.0 would be dumb af. So would trading Risto when we finally have someone to eventually let him be a #2.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
not a word about changing summer workout routine or diet. he hasn't bought the message.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005

Why the eff would you trade Risto? I just don't get it. All year long we've been complaining about how bad the D is ... and now some people just want to turn around and trade Risto like he's junk? Cmon now.

Reactions: Punished ROR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad